Top Amiga Titles

@Craig - I don't suppose that can be ported to Pandora can it? Gameboy is Z80, is it not? and I bet you programmed it in asm to get the tiny size?

This is a great thread by the way. So many great games listed, Here's my 2p:

Xenon: AMAZING vertical shooter - real arcade quality in your own home! (had it on ST first though - just as incredible with ace music from David Whittaker...I believe)

Gods: Can't believe nobody has mentioned this! Never completed this - waiting for Pandy to arrive.

Rainbow Islands: 99% identical to Arcade - classic.

Parasol Stars: Bub and Bub goodness. Lovely 2 player, fruit eating fun!

Bubble Bobble: Where it all started - classic.

If it wasn't so damn cold, I would go through this thread trying some of them out on my Arcade cab in the my garage (I have perfect emulation of Amiga on it - very nice)

Xenon: AMAZING vertical shooter - real arcade quality in your own home! (had it on ST first though - just as incredible with ace music from David Whittaker...I believe)

Music by Bomb The Bass featuring MC Merlin, I believe. David Whittaker may have done the requisite chip tuning/sampling.

@Gunrock: Ah, you're thinking of Xenon 2. Another classic...that I never completed. The original Xenon was very different, your ship could transform from a flying one to a ground based one. Less impressive power-ups but very enjoyable. A perfectly polished game - if you have never played it, I urge you to!

I hated and loved Gods, I was just talking to a friend about it this week. It looked and sounded amazing, but it was too clunky and difficult, I could never get passed about the third level. It was hard even by the standards of the day! I just watched the longplay on youtube instead, sometimes it's better to watch someone else complete a game that you know you won't have the patience for.

@Craig - I don't suppose that can be ported to Pandora can it? Gameboy is Z80, is it not? and I bet you programmed it in asm to get the tiny size?

I played it on an emulator yesterday, it's not really worth porting, the sound in the game is so horrible as I ran out of time/memory. You can try it from the above link in any gbc emu.

I can't complete it, it's rock hard.

I think it was ASM routines wrapped around a C compiler.

I must dig out some of my commercial work and post it, it's more interesting.

Edit: Actually playing it reminds me a lot of ZX spectrum games. I cannot remember anything about the game so the levels are all a surprise to me, I've no idea when it ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourites where:

Sidewinder & Hybris

Loads of shootem up fun and destruction

The 'n' key produced the key-word 'Next', so it was natural to name your for-loop variable 'n'

It was so much better once the +2 came out and the BASIC allowed you to type the full syntax properly like BBC basic.

I understand the 'whole-key-word-on-a-key' idea was done to save memory, one byte coudl represent the key-word 'next' instead of 4 bytes.

N did both functions.

The 'n' key produced the key-word 'Next', so it was natural to name your for-loop variable 'n'

The F key also produced the 'FOR' - so it came down to whether you could resist the impulse to establish the variable with a double tap at the start or end. Programming in Speccy basic was like finger ballet.

'n' probably was the spods choice, and certainly so for published listings, since it is more usually associated with mathematics.

sinclair_zx-spectrum_keyboard_hr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the FOR F=... camp myself. It was faster and was less of an interruption of the workflow. These days I tend to use "idx", as there's no longer the restriction of single-letter variables for FOR..NEXT loops.

D.

Back