Top Amiga Titles

I really do believe that if Commodore had shoe horned some kind of 3D hardware in to the A1200 the Amiga would still be here today.

Instead they wriggled around like idiots and made the CD32, did anything even use the crappy raycaster 3D hardware in that thing?

Oh well, the death of the Amiga was what encouraged the Pandora anyway. Funny old world.

I really do believe that if Commodore had shoe horned some kind of 3D hardware in to the A1200 the Amiga would still be here today.

Instead they wriggled around like idiots and made the CD32, did anything even use the crappy raycaster 3D hardware in that thing?

Oh well, the death of the Amiga was what encouraged the Pandora anyway. Funny old world.

I got an A500 in 1988 - absolutely loved it.

I then bought an A1200 not long after launch (early '93?). Basically it was too late, too expensive, not enough of a leap from the A500 and didn't get the support it needed.......kinda makes me sad.

12 months later or so I had a multi-media Pentium, after seeing Doom running on a friends PC.

It could have been different. :(

had an a500 and a 1200 and a cd32.The cd32 joypads were rubbish.The dpad kept breaking and would rotate in its housing.Yep the 1200 was no great leap over the brilliant a500 and the cd32 though i liked it was really just a a1200 with a cd drive.It was the worlds first 32 bit games console though.@ craigix i love that the amiga inspired the pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
had an a500 and a 1200 and a cd32.The cd32 joypads were rubbish.The dpad kept breaking and would rotate in its housing.Yep the 1200 was no great leap over the brilliant a500 and the cd32 though i liked it was really just a a1200 with a cd drive.It was the worlds first 32 bit games console though.@ craigix i love that the amiga inspired the pandora

I worked in a shop selling Amigas and when the CD32 came out, we have to have it on show but all we used it for was playing audio CDs. :)

Hi

I started out on Spectrum 48k, then went to Amiga 500, 1200, infact I have two cupboards here

one full of 500s and the other has Spectrums :)

I have a 1200 permantly setup also :)

Anyway back to the games.

I used to mainly play the adventure/RPG type games on the Amigas and I do not think that we can overlook

Dungeon Master, Eye Of The Beholder etc, also all those wonderful text type adventures.

dungmaster.png

eye1.png

eye2.png

I really wanted an Amiga back in the day of the 500, but couldn't afford one, even though it was the cheapest of the up-to-date models of its day. By the time I was in a position to buy a computer, it seemed a bit late for the Amiga.

It really seemed to me that it was when Commodore changed hands that it started to fall apart for them. The new owners seemed to want to cash in, but didn't know how to capitalize on the previous success. It may not have mattered, since people seemed to be buying computers to be compatible with what they used at work (IBM computers), and all the previously successful home computers dried up one by one.

Well, Commodore tried their hand at the PC Market too. We used to sell Commodore 8086/286/386 SX & DX! But I agree with much of what's been said before and the Amiga could have still been dominating today if they'd only made some smarter decisions.

That said, Sinclair would have been bigger than Sony and MS today if only Sir Clive had swallowed his pride and realised that people wanted computers to play games on and then not bothered with the QL or the C5!

My first Amiga i got in June 1988. A end-of-line but brand spanking new A1000. I wish I had kept it. I foolishly 'upgraded' to an A1500 a short few weeks or months before the A1200 and A4000 hit the streets.... doh!

I still have my A4000 though. It is mothballed, however. No room for it, ATM.

Flashback

Syndicate

Alien Breed

Turrican 2

The Secret of Monkey Island

Switchblade 2

Myth

It came from the desert

EPIC

...all got some serious hours of play on my Amiga...oh! and not forgetting ZOOL!

I'd love to see the ARM port of AROS running on a pandora some day!

think I'll go fire up the trusty A500 now actually... :)

I have my Amigas carefully packed away for posterity - but I have a CDTV that I use to play A500 games with an external floppy drive. Lots of Amiga games that keep calling me back.

What about Silkworm? The Amiga version puts all others to shame - the sound effects are so much better even than the arcade one, especially the speaker destroying BOOM you get when you trigger the 'smartbomb'.

commadore cdtv looks freaking amazing, especially the infrared remote controller with game buttons :p

were the internals that of an amiga 1200 or 600 or 500?

commadore cdtv looks freaking amazing, especially the infrared remote controller with game buttons :p

were the internals that of an amiga 1200 or 600 or 500?
I believe the internals were A500 initially, but there was a later ECS chipset (same as A600) version I think.

the CD32 was essentially a consoled A1200.

@Asmo yeah Silkworm was pretty good.

Just spent the last few hours playing Cannon Fodder which was also another awesome title :D

Anyone got any OS4 hardware?

CDTV: Yep, mines basically an A500 internally. Very handy having an Amiga that can mingle with HiFi or AV equipment!

I just remembered I wrote a projectX clone in 32k! for a gameboy colour coding comp and came second.

I had *totally* forgot about it, but it's on PD roms I've just discovered. I can't even remember much about it, but it had the first 3 levels re-coded on the GB in a single bank of memory.

http://pdroms.de/fil...roject-x-stream

:)

Edit: 13k! Bloody hell.. those were the days... next F.

Back