Top Amiga Titles

CodyJarrett

Still Fresh
Since lesser platforms have been covered in lists in this forum, here is a random selection of some of the best games on the mighty Amiga!

No Second Prize

Super-fast, mouse-controlled racer from Thalion.

The First Samurai

Hallelujah, hallelujah! An utterly slick Japanese-styled slash-'em-up.

Zeewolf

Virus and Desert Strike, said Amiga Power.

Civilization AGA

Timeless strategy game.

Moonstone

Questing, swords and the fierce Baloks of the northern wastelands.

Hunter

Endlessly replayable and fun open-ended vehicle game.

Paradroid '90

Andrew Braybrook's brilliant update of his C64, sadly with Atari ST hardware limitations retained.

Super Stardust AGA

Asteroids for the 90s but it still looks great.

Hired Guns

Highly atmospheric Dungeon Master in space, with lots of guns and puppies.

Gloom

Wolfenstein 3D on steroids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turrican 2

Turrican2_DBS.png

Screenshots

Best incarnation of the series on any platform.

Heimdall

Heimdall_DBS.png

Screenshots

Norse gods, comic graphics, RPG and much more. Can't go wrong with that.

One of my favourites was Syndicate. I haven't played it for years (saving it for Pandora) but it's an isometric game set in the future (think Blade Runner) where you control a team as they go on different missions, e.g assasination attempts, kidnapping, rescuing, etc. My memories are a little foggy now so I'm finding it hard to explain properly, but trust me, it's great.

I also liked Manhunter: New York. To be honest I can't remember if I had this on Amiga or Atari ST but I'm sure they're pretty much the same. It's a point and click adventure game, again set in the future. It had some weird story about giant eyeball aliens that had taken over the planet and, er, you're this guy dressed as a monk who travels around New York collecting clues and figuring stuff out... Yeah I'm not selling that well either, am I? But I know it's good! :p

I originally posted these recommendations at the other forum. Here they are again. :p

Sleepwalker - Platformer - This game is what you would get if you put the platform game genre, Lemmings, and Tom & Jerry into a blender. You play as Ralph, a dog whose human, Lee, has a habit of sleepwalking. You have to prevent Lee from getting himself killed overnight. Ralph is invincible, but all sorts of comic mishaps befall him. (This game was originally made as a fundraiser for the British charity Comic Relief. If you like it, it may be worth considering sending them a donation.)

Fire and Ice - Platformer - You play as Cool Coyote, who has been charged with tracking down a fire-powered alien beast who has the power to torch the planet. Cool Coyote has to defeat enemies by freezing them with ice pellets, and then shattering them into a gajillion pieces by running into them, in an effort to piece together the key that will let him continue to the next level. The key parts are placed with random enemies each time, so it never plays the same twice. (Fire and Ice, and the "Christmas Special" demo version which features an exclusive level, is legally available to download from Back to the Roots.)

Pinball Dreams - Pinball - An excellent video-pinball game with near-perfect controls and physics, which is an absolute must for anyone's library. (This game is legally available to download from Back to the Roots.)

Lemmings - Puzzle - The original version of the much-ported legendary game where you need to assist the green-haired, blue-suited rodents in getting through increasingly fiendish landscapes. Another absolute must.

Dune : an adventure game with bits of strategy/management inside.

867.gif

Dune 2 : one of the precursor of the modern RTS (if not the first).

dune2.jpg

Chaos Engine : kill everything you see with your mate before it kills you.

00368919-photo-the-chaos-engine.jpg

Cannon Fodder : tactical action game… try to keep your troops alive.

can_008.png

Another World : vector drawn adventure game. (IIRC Amiga was it's home platform)

I agree with Tickles, Syndicate must have a place in this list!

Monkey Island and Indiana Jones games were fun, but I think that on the Pandora they should be run with ScummVM.

Is Reminiscence ported to Pandora? Because it's the best way to plays Flashback (beside using a real amiga
laugh.gif
).

Super Cars II

Great multiplayer racing game with missiles and mines.

Jetstrike AGA

Peculiar action game with dozens of aircraft and a dragon.

Formula One Grand Prix

Geoff Crammond's masterpiece.

Stunt Car Racer

Another of Geoff Crammond's masterpieces.

Flood

Fairly atypical Bullfrog game.

Exile

Physics-based arcade action game.

Knights of the Sky

Top WW1 based simulation with suitably unhurried gameplay.

SWIV

Highly distinctive shoot-'em-up with one big level.

Speedball II

Amazing two-player futuristic sports game.

North & South

Bizarre French wargame set in the American Civil War.

[sNIP…]

North & South

Bizarre French wargame set in the American Civil War.

It's a Belgian comics, full of humour. I never knew they made a game based on it…

The baldie on the right is in the army against his will, he is slacking and try to flee anytime he can.

The red bearded in the middle completely mad and want to die "like a brave" in the battle.

Th red haired on the left is the only one almost sane xD

oh the hours ive spent on North & South, and i havent played it in decades, waiting for my panda to play it for nostalgia's sake

Deliverance hack and slash adventure.Excellent.

Agony gorgeous side scrolling shooter.

Second samurai sequel to first samurai.

Darkmere rpg.

heimdall 2 fun adventure rpg.

lotus turbo challenge 2 best racer on the amiga.Supercars 2 is the best overhead viewed racer.

Pegasus fantasy shooter with a man on a pegasus,winged horse.

It's a Belgian comics, full of humour. I never knew they made a game based on it…

The baldie on the right is in the army against his will, he is slacking and try to flee anytime he can.

The red bearded in the middle completely mad and want to die "like a brave" in the battle.

Th red haired on the left is the only one almost sane xD
Oh I had forgotten about that game. I played that for hours and hours.

Hunter

Sensible World of Soccer

Mega-lo-Mania

Wizkid

James Pond 2 - Robocod

Ruff'N'Tumble

Stunt Car Racer

(just a few I can think of at this early hour:p)

Apidya

Maybe the best sidescrolling shoot'em up for the Amiga. Great music by Chris Hülsbeck.

ATR - All Terrain Racing

Difficult but very rewarding overhead-racer with great gameplay.

Battle Squadron PAL

Arguably the best vertical srolling shoot'em up for the Amiga. Scored 109% in Amiga Computing's review.

The PAL-version is vastly superior to the NTSC-version because the playfield is 28% larger in the PAL version (which uses 320x256 pixels whereas the NTSC-version only draws 320x200 pixels). The inferior NTSC-version is the most common...

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

First in the series. Fast gfx, many tracks, good gameplay, good music.

Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad

Great mix of Sonic and Mario with many levels.

Pinball Fantasies

Successor of Pinball Dreams. Slightly larger and more complex tables. Pinball Dreams has better music and atmosphere.

Shadow of the Beast III

Good puzzles, good gfx, good sound. Much easier than Beast I&II. A bit short.

Stunt Car Racer TNT (The New Tracks)

Stunt Car Racer TNT

Reverse engineered modification of Stunt Car Racer by AmiGer. Eight completely new tracks!

Turrican 3

Quite different to Turrican I&II but worthwhile. Almost identical to Mega Turrican (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis), only less colorful and some bosses have different patterns. Music (by Chris Hülsbeck) is vastly superior to Mega Turrican.

Uridium 2

Defender on steroids. Fast and frantic sidescrolling shoot'em up.

Wings

World War I dogfight simulation and bitmap action mix. Play 240 missions from April 1916 to November 1918. Most missions are 3D dogfights which are very intense, challenging and fun. The other 2 mission types (bitmap action) are strafing (soldiers, vehicles, tents, trains) and bombing (buildings, bridges, trains and vehicles).

There's also a nice story told in form of a "squadron journal" between missions.

There are also very slight RPG-elements because your pilot has 4 attributes (flying, shooting, mech and stamina) which you can initially spend points on and which grow automatically as you complete missions. The attributes affect gameplay.

never heard of that patched Stunt Car Racer, must look that one up sometime (when my Pandora comes home again!), the original was the only game I ever managed to play 2 player across 2 Amigas ;)

Deva vu 1 & 2,

310_dbs1.png

and Uninvited

1810_dbs1.png

- really tense adventures and some of my fondest amiga memories. Uninvited scared the pants off me.

Waxworks

1677_dbs1.png

This was really gruesome at the time. I only completed it recently with the aid of a guide. Elvira 2 was also really good.

Yo Joe

1647_dbs1.png

2867_dbs1.png

3557_dbs1.png

431_dbs1.png

Some great games mentioned but I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Alien Breed

Anyone renember what game had like 10 disks and involved you playing as a schoolboy at a school, I dont renember if it was any good or the name as I was a kid at the time :p

Chuck rock was a legendary game XD

Back