Top Amiga Titles

thats it lol il have to try and find the disk to play it to see if it was any good.

I can only assume very poor compression was the reason for the 10 disks. Bloaty PC game ports always looked weird on the Amiga, which at the time still had a reputation for excellent compression and games/apps taking up minimal space.

Wasn't that a joke in one of the Monkey Island games, when the game would ask for a disk that didn't exist?? ;)

I can only assume very poor compression was the reason for the 10 disks. Bloaty PC game ports always looked weird on the Amiga, which at the time still had a reputation for excellent compression and games/apps taking up minimal space.
Ah what a glorious time it was, when 7MB was considered bloated. :p

A lot of great Amiga Games forgotten, so here are some(and I'm sure that I'm forgetting a lot of games my self)

Also, included under each title is a Youtube clip which I couldn't submit the entire link to due to limitations on number of media files per post.

Leisure Suit Larry in the land of lounge lizards

watch?v=ESMR-mO8BVM

Rockstar Ate My Hamster

watch?v=1xtAXiJOFs0

It came from the desert

watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

Slamtilt AGA (Superior to Pinball Dreams & Fantasies & Illusions, mostly because of better physics)

watch?v=aRmdzdlqPxc

F/A-18 Interceptor

watch?v=Mb_YOvmINHQ

Simon the Sorcerer

watch?v=HGyPtnEQ8gw

Defender Of The Crown(Better on Amiga than Nes)

watch?v=cvW6okgy4wA

Indy Heat

watch?v=Sd2fEdiXczk

Nuclear War

watch?v=XoH1copIdCY

And I can also vouch for the following games previously mentioned:

Civilization AGA

Moonstone

Super Cars I & II

All the Monkey Island and Indiana Jones Adventure games

Stunt Car Racer

North And South

Just give me Populous, Deuterous, Civ AGA, Colonization, and all the other games and I'm happy!

I must say the Amiga looks like it was an incredible computer. Far ahead of it's time. It's definitely going to be one of "must try" systems when my Panda arrives. Threads like this are great for those of us who have not experienced a particular system. I second the idea of a section of the board just for having each system game reviews and discussions. So many systems I have never been afforded the opportunity to experience. The Panda is truly remarkable in design for making these all so usable now. (Older computers that is) Gonna be so much fun...

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say the Amiga looks like it was an incredible computer. Far ahead of it's time.

I grew up with a C64 and then an Amiga system. Most of my friends had no idea what an Amiga was. It was definately ahead of it's time! Even the Amiga workbench was around before "windows"... It was only relatively recently that computer system design and architecture has realized the wisdom of separate dedicated processors that made the Amiga so great. The graphics on the Amiga were far better than anything else at the time. It made me sad when the Amiga fell off the market.

I grew up with a C64 and then an Amiga system. Most of my friends had no idea what an Amiga was. It was definately ahead of it's time! Even the Amiga workbench was around before "windows"... It was only relatively recently that computer system design and architecture has realized the wisdom of separate dedicated processors that made the Amiga so great. The graphics on the Amiga were far better than anything else at the time. It made me sad when the Amiga fell off the market.

Well Windows 1.0 and the Amiga both came out the same year (1985) and Graphical Desktops have been established for several years by then. However the Amiga did mop the floor of anything until IBM clone PCs finally got proper multimedia hardware in the early to mid 90's.

Two must-try games for me are Barbarian and Obliterator from Psygnosis, even if they are a bit buggy their graphics really surprised me (had a C64 before my Amiga 1000)

Also Defender of the crown and all Horrorsof titles (Personal Nightmare - bought it two months ago , Elvira, Elvira II and Waxworks)

Supremacy: best space RPG ever!

I really enjoyed the Bards Tale.

thebardstale.jpg

Well Windows 1.0 and the Amiga both came out the same year (1985) and Graphical Desktops have been established for several years by then. However the Amiga did mop the floor of anything until IBM clone PCs finally got proper multimedia hardware in the early to mid 90's.

You can't really compare Windows 1.0 (which didn't do "windows" as we know them at all) to Workbench, even Workbench 1.2, which did "windowing" almost as well as we know them today.

The real strength of the Amiga, and one that wasn't even closely matched until many years later was the pre-emptive multitasking that the Amiga was supremely competent at - Windows 3.1, the nearest competitor, used co-operative multitasking.

D.

Well if you want to argue my 2 month old post, I didn't really compare the two, I said Amiga did a much better job back then. I just responded that the Amiga didn't invent graphical desktops before any one else. Hell Xerox Star came out in 1977.

Well if you want to argue my 2 month old post, I didn't really compare the two, I said Amiga did a much better job back then. I just responded that the Amiga didn't invent graphical desktops before any one else. Hell Xerox Star came out in 1977.

Hey, point taken - no need to get upset :)

And of course you're right. Just wish AROS would get to a state where I could install it - I'd love a modern Amiga-style OS.

D.

Back