Top 20 Games For Each System

jaycee900

Gamer Since 1980
Website
everylemming.blogspot.com
I'm going through my games collection and instead of having every game on each system on my SD card, I though it more practical to have between 20-100 games per system depending on system, that way i don't have to wade through games that i might think 'oh i play that someday' but when is 'someday' ever gonna happen!? never probably so I'm streamlining my games for every system and I would appreciate some help on the older systems by like Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 2600/5200/7800, CPC/C64/Spec if you could list some great games for these systems, note for the 8bit tape systems, i mainly want great games only made for each system as in most cases the Amiga version will beat them, so unless its unique or is better on 8 bit then please list it!
Any help with great games many thanks, please don't close the thread though, 90% of people will be buying one for emulators so I'm sure people will be interested in what classic games to get and load on their Pandora's!

Sonic is always FTW. I will be buying one for the Emulators to , but also for Homebrew, it's just great to play all those great games when i'm not home and my DS (I have a flashcard filled with homebrew and Emulators (Not much becoz most console are to "heavy" for a DS)) is currently a bit boring.

Yeah thanks for the link, I like the look of some of those Megadrive and GBA games listed, forgotten about kurukurukururin loved that game! Racing Gears Advance looks great as well!

Here is a list for the ZX Spectrum, assuming you have no ZX Spectrum previous experience. Many of the best Spectrum games at the time have not aged well, and even at the time it was understood that there were a lot of rubbish games about. Some games are still great but are not easy for the uninitiated to pick up and play. The list below are some that are still very playable and easy to get into.

Batty - better than Arkanoid
Manic Miner - the classic Spectrum platform game, collect the keys
Chuckie Egg - another classic Spectrum platform game, collect the eggs
Bomb Jack - the ZX Spectrum version is the best, I think, with the Gameboy one being a close second)
Atic Atac - search the castle for the 3 parts of the ACG key and escape
Head Over Heals - the finest of the isometric view platform games
Fred - Escape from the pyramid maze type game
Cyclone - rescue the islanders from the Cyclone in your helicopter
Jet Pac - An amazing game for only 16k of memory that was re-released on xbox live last year. Build a spaceship and then collect the fuel to take off to the next planet
Skool Daze - survive school and try to shoot all the shields with your catapault
Split Personalities - picture puzzle game
Uridium - fast space shoot 'em up game
Deflektor - laser beam reflection based puzzle game

For each platform GameFAQs offers a top 10 list, although I'm not sure what the base it on

WhizzBang said:
Wow - I've never found anyone else who remembers Cyclone - I keep thinking it'd be a good game to remake :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a remake of Cyclone by Quirky for the GBA, and a very good one it is too. You can play it on your GP2x using the GBA emulator.

benjymous said:
For each platform GameFAQs offers a top 10 list, although I'm not sure what the base it on

WhizzBang said:
Wow - I've never found anyone else who remembers Cyclone - I keep thinking it'd be a good game to remake :)

And it's sequel/prequel TLL - Tornado Low Level - done in the same graphical style but with a jet fighter.

Cyclone was a brilliant game, the only problem was the difficulty - it was quite hard to complete. It would have benefitted from a gentler introduction, too. The first time I ever played it the cyclone was on me within seconds and I just crashed - luckily I persevered and found out that you just had to wait for it to pass.

ledow said:
Cyclone was a brilliant game, the only problem was the difficulty - it was quite hard to complete. It would have benefitted from a gentler introduction, too. The first time I ever played it the cyclone was on me within seconds and I just crashed - luckily I persevered and found out that you just had to wait for it to pass.
I always find it amazing how incredibly hard all the 8bit era games were compared with modern games. Miss a jump on the second to last screen? Game over, time to start again. None of those nancy boy "Saves" for you. :lol:

benjymous said:
ledow said:
I always find it amazing how incredibly hard all the 8bit era games were compared with modern games. Miss a jump on the second to last screen? Game over, time to start again. None of those nancy boy "Saves" for you. :lol:

Yup , those old games are really hard. Even the old Game & Watch Donkey Kong ( I have 1 which works :D) is really hard.

I think we already have threads that cover this. There are links to them here.

WhizzBang said:
There is a remake of Cyclone by Quirky for the GBA, and a very good one it is too. You can play it on your GP2x using the GBA emulator.
Whizzbang - Thanks. Your post got me onto Quirky's website and I just converted his Chaos GBA conversion to work on the GP2X. It's on the archive and working. That's gotta be one of the quickest ports I've ever seen - about 10 minutes of actual work, about half-an-hour of peeing about with compilers and Makefiles.

benjymous said:
That's what I love about the old games. They don't pamper you with "everybody wins" attitude. You got to work for what you get, and if you don't work hard enough, they nail you hard.

It's what makes statements like "I beat XXX" something worthwhile to say. :D

C64
-----
Paradroid
Nebulus
Wizball
Buggy Boy
Retrograde
H.E.R.O.
Bionic Commando
Zenji
Boulderdash
Bruce Lee
Archon
Lazy Jones
Salamander
Dropzone
Alter Ego
Ultima I
Uridium
Anarchy
Parallax
Strangeloop

Amiga
-------
Stunt Car Racer
Apidya
Maniac Mansion
Wizkid
Mega Lo Mania
Speedball 2
Cannon Fodder
Llamatron
Sensible Soccer
Carrier Command
Hunter
Deflektor
Alien Breed
Typhoon Thompson
IK+
Silkworm
Spindizzy Worlds
Exile
Pirates!
Civilization

benjymous said:
I find it even more amazing that we actually had the patience to complete them back then - the ones that could even be completed, that is, which was far from a given. The fact that many modern emulators let you snapshot your progress at any given moment really is a (very welcome) sign of changing times.

Some of the games of the era really were unimaginably evil by today's standards. Remember Treasure Island Dizzy? You could carry (IIRC) three items at a time and picking something up would cause the one you'd been carrying longest to be dropped. Not always such a problem, unless that item was a snorkel and you happened to be underwater... And you only had one life with which to finish it!

That said (he says, desperately scrambling to get back on topic) most of the Dizzy games would still be in my top 20.

Intellivision:

Utopia (Probably one of the best games ever)

DOS:

Keen Series
Jill of the Jungle
Stunts
Duke Nukum
Duke Nukem II

NES:

wrecking crew

Amstrad CPC

Sorcery+
Renegade
Gryzor