Tiny speed comparison. Pyra vs Raspberry Pi3 vs core2duo vs i7

after looking into this, it seems that it is actually difficult to say ... perhaps a factor of 2x-3x ? (emulating 64bit operations on 32bit systems takes roughly 10x but not all operations are 64bit)

I initially thought that only the Raspberry Pi (one) was running a 32bit OS (as its a 32bit processor) but it seems even the RPi2 and RPi3 are still running the 32bit OS (even though they are 64bit processors) so the RPi Foundation only has to maintain one OS version (which makes a lot of sense)

yeh but there's 64-bit gentoo and i think other OSes also for rpi3
[doublepost=1525994487,1525994450][/doublepost]
So, overclocking the sdcard reader speed (see: http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards ) should improve raspberrypi's performance (when using the right sdcard) in this test?

When running openGL drivers i get about 5.5MB/s sustained write speed, large files.

I'm likely to underclock this machine if causes a more reliable and continuous computation. I'm judging Pyra as an alternative to the StrongARM Jornada, which is the only machine sane and balanced enough to handle my system code without breaking.

I ported my kernel to HTML5 thinking the 200 times slowmo from C would be a less dangerous environment. Worked for a while until I optimised and balanced further, and then terrible woes but it started to cripple computers.

Linux. OSX. Windows. Even a brand new PC with a million cores screwed the hell up. Fan goes crazy and Windows 10 cuts in half, threatening to implode or burn a hole in table.

Yes, my ultra low memory (kb) html can kill computers and sucks Microsoft software down a blackhole of uh... T2 Judgement Day.

Only the Jornada is stable. Not even the tiniest wobble. Hey no problemo, asta la vista... Harley cruise mode.

Thankfully the Pyra doesn't as currently planned contain a fan as far as I last heard. You can always tune linux to use what you want, so if you want it to run at a consistent rate that it will never need to throttle, you can do just that. On the other hand if you want it to run as fast as it can and throttle back when it has to you can do that as well, or you can configure it to run anywhere in between.

That said, I'm quite impressed with my Pentium Dual Core E2220 which I've never seen throttle back below it's stock 2.4GHz rating until I stop doing what I'm doing on that machine. I've never caught it throttle back when I'm using it, only after I've stopped (so it can throttle back on the noise of the fans presumably). Seems to sit happily at 1.2GHz normally when mostly idle or when streaming low res videos from it for the vast majority of the time, and I've only seen it hogging 2.4GHz when I've been running some of my CPU hog scripts, and I guess it does similar when I'm transcoding high res videos down to the low resolution I use for local viewing, but as of yet I've not monitored that. And that's only with the stock cooler and a single case fan which for that generation of hardware was absolutely tiny - just the size of the die and about 10mm on top, with a single ~150mm case fan and probably slightly smaller in the PSU. It's quiet enough that I can sleep with it running regardless of the clock rate, and it only really rouses me if I'm just dropping off when it finishes whatever it was last doing when it shuts off because then it starts seeking a lot on the hard disc, causing any parked discs to wake and I think it ramps up the fans just before it powers down.

Its looking really unlikely I'll move away from my Jornada at the moment. An example of how it has an edge over literally everything is some self coded drawing applications; it could handle whatever brush I threw at it including maths. Such as right now it does a x3 brush by adding compass point coords for an extra 9 lines around the main one. But it never flinched at all no matter how many I added. 30? 40? But the important thing is it uses interupt timers somewhere to draw instantaneously, and no matter how much I try and make the software twitch or wobble the drawing is instant. Thrash the pen around like an insane bee? Perfect framerate at zero latency. Now i'm sure many people wouldn't follow how this is much better than a modern system, but it's nearly identical to actual pen and paper. My eyes can't discern any flaws that it isn't physical ink due to the latency and consistency of compution at 60fps plus. So even though it isn't a PS3 or anything, whatever it runs is reliable. And in addition, for a mere 200mhz embedded chip from ancinet times, it can run full screen 640x240 sprite animation with text and transparency layers like a next gen SNES at good speed. It kicks the butt of anything else made that era. For one thing GBA, DS, Ngage. Comparitively it is something of a beast. Even PSP relies heavy on the monolithic GPU, which is good stuff, but actual code I ran wobbled a bit. Specifically it was a drum machine I coded -- did the same thing on Jornada and it actually defeats a hardware drum machine from the 80's and 90's. When I saw this it was difficult to argue against.
[doublepost=1526629558,1526624372][/doublepost]Another major draw for the Jornada is the cardbus is fed directly into the cpu as an augmented setup. It has to go through a controller chip in the pcmcia card afaik, but it's a lot more direct than an IBM system from what I can tell and like a custom arm chip, as best they could offer.

I looked into this and there are fpga card from this era which would work, but they're ultra-rare lab items from corps. Would have a better chance of buying a second hand Apache gunship.

Essentially Intel are excersising an unfair advantage with this chipset, since pretty much nobody can copy it without massive industrial muscle, and Pentium II tech magic. However, in the name of identify a scumbag day... some books I found from the 80's detail the massive amount of pollution Intel put into local rivers, possibly worse than recent China. When I read the specific details of this and how much it screwed up Valley wildlife which lived there longer than humans, I recognised the basis for Captain Planet cartoons. They have one of the worst ecological records of the 20th century.

How about GPU performance though? I'd be very interested in such comparison with Raspberry Pi :)

Last edited:
We're still waiting for the kernel to harden and then the GPU kernel plugin can be modified to work against it. I have a funny feeling that will be happening sooner than later now though. Until then the GPU in the Pyra prototypes is unused.

Back