This Thing Just Killed The Pandora For Me

If this gives you what you want from the pandora and more, I say go for it :D Don't let people discourage you. Personally, it offers me nothing that I want from the pandora so I'll give it a miss.

What I'm looking for the pandora :
- Long battery life ---- viliv don't
- Great game control ---- viliv don't
- remain cold ---- viliv don't

If you're looking for a PDA on x86 then viliv is for ya.
If you're looking to play on the go then just pass...

IMHO...

Yoyobuae said:
cinicraft said:
[..]
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III? (maby)
Diablo II (still addictive as hell)
Total Annihilation
Civ III
Understandable, if you need to have those games on the go, sure go for it. I'm a fan of Total Annihilation myself, but these days I'd rather play SpringRTS, very interesting mods and great engine. Opensource too, btw.

honestly man, ive been waiting for a device that can run starcraft for 4 years now...

when i discovered the open pandora my hopes got up and i made a thread about it cause i thought you could easily run SC with wine on a 800MHz - 1 GHz Device (whatever the clockspeed a pandora has)

i thought that because Starcraft only requires about 90MHz of CPU power. but i don't know much about CPU architecture and everyone flamed me and said i was dumb :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand "pocket" devices that have a screen on the outside and nothing to protect it (yes I know you can buy special cases for them).

my cons for that thing:
-Atom CPU (and one of the smaller ones..)
-as already mentioned several times: no gaming controls
-battery life: 6 hours by specs -> so 4-5 in real life (and that without wifi, i think)
-gfx..? nothing in the specs, maybe a normal intel-gma-piece of crap..

on the other hand i like the display size (and it's resolution..)

Alerino said:
cinicrat, Pandora is more focused on retrogaming, but there are a few games being ported that might be interesting

http://pandorawiki.org/Projects_Under_Development#Games

o, don't they already have devices for that? i use my psp for retro gaming, it can run emu's from atari 2600 to SNES very well.

crade said:
I don't understand "pocket" devices that have a screen on the outside and nothing to protect it (yes I know you can buy special cases for them).

I agree -- unless it had a hard case (adding significant bulk) than I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it into a bag or coat pocket (even with a soft case). This is another reason I like the U820 - convertible clamshell design. :)

Edit: sorry if I seem to be gushing about it -- I really do love this thing. :D

cinicraft said:
(naw)mcx said:
A x86 device with no real physical controls.

KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT, BRO, WITH THAT TRUE PANDORA COMPETITOR.

Or the story of how you missed the point of the Pandora.

well... its worth the sacrifice for the ability to run the Windows OS.

I'm usually quite quiet in these forums but.....

Why is every one so obsessed with having a portable windows device? not a single one has a battery that lasts for a great deal of time or is as portable. the only reason I can see for people posting these "X device has killed the pandora for me"/"Cancelling to get X device" is just to pull people away from the pandora.

If you have made your mind up to cancel and order something else just do it don't f**king announce it you are eroding confidence in the project and the community, stop coming here to sway people, you 'Trolls' are really starting to f**king p**s me off!

liquidphantom said:
I'm usually quite quiet in these forums but.....

Why is every one so obsessed with having a portable windows device? not a single one has a battery that lasts for a great deal of time or is as portable. the only reason I can see for people posting these "X device has killed the pandora for me"/"Cancelling to get X device" is just to pull people away from the pandora.

If you have made your mind up to cancel and order something else just do it don't f**king announce it you are eroding confidence in the project and the community, stop coming here to sway people, you 'Trolls' are really starting to f**king p**s me off!

I agree with your thoughts about how pointless (and demoralizing) it is to have these threads that essentially say "I found a better gadget, see you later suckers."

But I can definitely see the appeal of having a device like the pandora that could run windows. It all comes down to the software library. If I could have portable half-life and unreal tournament (both of which run great, even with a Z series Atom and GMA500) with the Pandora's form-factor, I'd be in heaven!

There's more than enough that WILL run on the Pandora to keep me happy, though. :)

Edit: typo

wermy said:
But I can definitely see the appeal of having a device like the pandora that could run windows. It all comes down to the software library. If I could have portable half-life and unreal tournament (both of which run great, even with a Z series Atom and GMA500) with the Pandora's form-factor, I'd be in heaven!
Considering the obvious power restraints on the x86 processors (which is a lot for them to be even remotely useful), I wouldn't wish that sort of device on anyone. It'll not only get hellishly warm, but it will eat your children (and battery). Maybe if someone invents a battery that doesn't take damage from heat you can get something useful in your hands?
I have an idea, shrink a peltier plate down to 1mm thickness and use it to harvest the heat energy from your hellfire CPU :ph34r:

EDIT: typos as well...

zhasha said:
Considering the obvious power restraints on the x86 processors (which is a lot for them to be even remotely useful), I wouldn't wish that sort of device on anyone. It'll not only get hellishly warm, but it will eat your children (and battery). Maybe if someone invents a battery that doesn't take damage from heat you can get something useful in your hands?
I have an idea, shrink a peltier plate down to 1mm thickness and use it to harvest the heat energy from your hellfire CPU :ph34r:

EDIT: typos as well...

Well I'm not saying they should stick an Atom in the next iteration of the Pandora... I'm just saying I can understand why someone would think it cool to have a handheld like Pandora which could run Windows games. We're talking hypothetical here. :)

wermy said:
Well I'm not saying they should stick an Atom in the next iteration of the Pandora... I'm just saying I can understand why someone would think it cool to have a handheld like Pandora which could run Windows games. We're talking hypothetical here. :)
Hypothetical impossibility, now that's something I can get behind :p
I'm not joking, I love looking at impossible devices like the Pomegranate or Das xphone. The difference between you and me is: I don't care whether my computer can run Windows.

zhasha said:
Hypothetical impossibility, now that's something I can get behind :p
I'm not joking, I love looking at impossible devices like the Pomegranate or Das xphone. The difference between you and me is: I don't care whether my computer can run Windows.

Heh, fair enough. :) But I don't care if my computer runs Windows either (my Pandora won't)! I'm just SAYING, it would be amazing to be able to play the large library of awesome Windows games on something shaped like the Pandora. Thats' all. :)

edit: typo

edit2: What crade said. :)

x86 means more than just windows. There are several proprietary linux games I wouldn't mind playing on the go too.

Back