Is Pandora the right product for me?

TwistedTomZ

Still Fresh
Hello guys! 

I'm new here and I'm really interested on this product! I'm on the edge of buying but being a student I can't risk buying something and then realizing it's not the best for me, so before buying it I thought of making a post here to ask you about it and help me out!

I'm a programmer, I program on my laptop using Arch Linux, I had this random thought that it would be a good idea to be able to make small programming changes of my projects while I'm out, for this reason I want a small handheld device. Sure I could use an android phone, I actually own one, but personally I find it really annoying that the battery lasts a couple of hours and its really disappointing, not to mention that it's not as flexible as Arch linux. I made a similar post to Reddit asking for help to find a device, and I actually found out about Pandora from there!

On the home page of Pandora it says I can install any lightweight linux OS i like, so that means I can install Arch linux without an issue right?

Based on my needs that I described, do you think Pandora is the best choice for me ? I was between Pandora and RaspPi, I'd love if someone could give pros and cons of these two based on what I'm looking for!

Thanks a lot in advance!

You wont even need to actually install a new OS as there's a compiler (and editors) for pandora's base OS (based on angstrom linux).

Many of us use it to code on the go. I dont personnaly so I cant say how it's confortable though

Well, a bit more effort is needed to install any lightweight linux OS, just like that, it must play "well" with the Pandoras ARM Architecture. There are already some Linux flavours readily available (like Pandebian) maybe they are flexible enough already for your needs.

I'am not so sure about comparing the Pandora and the RaspPi. They are completly different devices with completly different goals when they were designed. From my current understanding, the Pandora fits very well (you may have to adjust to the keyboard though) while the Pi does not fit at all, cause its not mobile at all. :huh:

Quote said:
You wont even need to actually install a new OS as there's a compiler (and editors) for pandora's base OS (based on angstrom linux).
Thanks a lot, I guess I can try out Pandora's OS, as long as it's a linux OS I shouldn't face any problem!

Quote said:
Well, a bit more effort is needed to install any lightweight linux OS, just like that, it must play "well" with the Pandoras ARM Architecture.
Arch linux has an ARM version if i remember correctly, it shouldn't be such a problem.

Quote said:
I'am not so sure about comparing the Pandora and the RaspPi.
I don't mean comparing them as devices, I know they are different and they are made for different people, I mean how are they for someone like me that wants to "code on the go", is one better than the other ?

Quote said:
I don't mean comparing them as devices, I know they are different and they are made for different people, I mean how are they for someone like me that wants to "code on the go", is one better than the other ?

Well, seeing as the Pandora is designed for such a task, I think you will find it better for it.  If you want to do the same with a raspberry pi you need to add a bunch of things to it, and it may not be so pocketable, or get great battery life.

If money is tight make sure you read up on the Pandora before buying so that you know the little things, like wifi can be flakey, some people think the keyboard is squishy (and layout is a bit odd for secondary characters), not all games and software run on the Classic Pandoras, and the nubs can give you problems.  I think the keyboard stuff will probably apply most to you, but there are some people that do a lot of text input with their Pandora and think it feels fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats were my problem lies, you simply can't "code on the go" with a Pi. Unless you mean this incredible bulky "mobile version" someone created for fun, you have no battery, no screen, no keyboard. But don't bother with the problem on my side, I am sure someone else will chime in sooner or later and give you proper reply

Thats were my problem lies, you simply can't "code on the go" with a Pi. Unless you mean this incredible bulky "mobile version" someone created for fun, you have no battery, no screen, no keyboard. But don't bother with the problem on my side, I am sure someone else will chime in sooner or later and give you proper reply
From what I've played with the Pi, I attached one of those Adafruit TFTs to the top, and used a mini powerblock (phone battery recharger thingy) and Rii N7 keyboard. It's doable, but messy - and you get no warning on battery life. Unless you really didn't want to spend the money, or mind carrying odds-and-sods, I wouldn't recommend it... at least until somebody makes a nice reasonable enclosure for it all

Where is that $250 RPi laptop kit?  That fixes some of the problems, but it still isn't pocketable.

Quote said:

Well, seeing as the Pandora is designed for such a task, I think you will find it better for it.  If you want to do the same with a raspberry pi you need to add a bunch of things to it, and it may not be so pocketable, or get great battery life.

If money is tight make sure you read up on the Pandora before buying so that you know the little things, like wifi can be flakey, some people think the keyboard is squishy (and layout is a bit odd for secondary characters), not all games and software run on the Classic Pandoras, and the nubs can give you problems.  I think the keyboard stuff will probably apply most to you, but there are some people that do a lot of text input with their Pandora and think it feels fine.
Sounds right, RaspPi was suggested to me and I found it too much of a hassle to put together or create something, Pandora seems to be designed for that so it seems a better choice. I don't really mind it being comfortable or not, I want it for those times that I'm outside and I'm thinking "what if I did x to my project?" and try it right there!

I guess you are right, I was impressed by Pandora's 10hour battery, it seems like technology should be more like that in general!

I guess you are right, I was impressed by Pandora's 10hour battery, it seems like technology should be more like that in general!

Check out early HP palmtops for others that get great battery life (with AAs!!!).

Check out early HP palmtops for others that get great battery life (with AAs!!!).
Wow! I took a look at them, if they were slightly cheaper they could be good! Found some palmtops without colorful screen (which I assume will sky-rocket battery), but they cost around $200 on amazon, which is too much for such a device, I will keep searching for them though! they seem awesome gadgets, i may find something that suits me!

I love my 100LX.  I think most people would prefer something a bit more modern even if they are trying to get work done.  There are other options, but the Pandora (and soon Pyra) is the best modern one in my opinion.

I love my 100LX.  I think most people would prefer something a bit more modern even if they are trying to get work done.  There are other options, but the Pandora (and soon Pyra) is the best modern one in my opinion.

Some days ago I'd say that I wouldn't mind something modern, as long as it does what I need it for. But lately I really liked the idea to play emulated old games on it, my childhood asks for it haha!

If you want to get work done and play games Pandora is a solid choice.  Like I said, read a bit more so you know the good and bad, then make your decision.  You can also check out the wiki.

I've used my Pandora to code on the go, C++ and bash scripts.  I wouldn't recommend it for extended use but for small touch ups and quick code it works great.  Thumb typing works quite well for most stuff but can't compete with a full sized keyboard for programming. The Pyra should resolve a few of the problems I've had with punctuation but the cost and wait for that may be outside your budget.

If you want to get work done and play games Pandora is a solid choice.  Like I said, read a bit more so you know the good and bad, then make your decision.  You can also check out the wiki.

Thanks a lot for the help! I will try Pandora, I'm more hyped than ever! haha 

I've used my Pandora to code on the go, C++ and bash scripts.  I wouldn't recommend it for extended use but for small touch ups and quick code it works great.  Thumb typing works quite well for most stuff but can't compete with a full sized keyboard for programming. The Pyra should resolve a few of the problems I've had with punctuation but the cost and wait for that may be outside your budget.

This is exactly what I want to use it for, seems like it is exactly what I need! I'll try the Classic Pandora version, and if I like it I can later on buy a more expensive model. Obviously a full size laptop is ideal for programming, but having such a device in your pocket is just one level more awesome !

What kind of keyboard do you use?

What kind of keyboard do you use?

Just generic keyboards.  At home I've got an ergonomic one I've had for about 20 years, and at work just a rectangular Logitech keyboard.  I used to have a compact fold out keyboard which I was excited to use with my Pandora but I broke and then lost it years ago.

Something to consider is that you might not be able to get a Pandora.... the store doesn't sell any new ones so you would only be able to get one used.  Also something to consider is that the Pyra is coming out likely in less than a year. It will have more power, bigger screen, etc. It might be better to wait.

Something to consider is that you might not be able to get a Pandora.... the store doesn't sell any new ones so you would only be able to get one used.  Also something to consider is that the Pyra is coming out likely in less than a year. It will have more power, bigger screen, etc. It might be better to wait.
I noticed that the store didn't have any ready to order, I assumed they were going to restock? I can live with a smaller screen and low stats as long as the price is right. If Pyra costs close to 500 euros (As i read somewhere on these forums) I'm afraid I won't be able to afford that for a long time. Is there no chance for a restock? or do I have to start looking for used ones?

Back