The Pandora Carrying Case

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
I'm on the fence about getting a carrying case. As many other may be also. Searching for "case" is dubious. so...

I'm hoping some people who already received the carrying case can give their opinion on it and if they thought it was worth the money or not. I'd also like to compile a good collection of pictures of the carrying case.

I could edit this post to add the pics, technical info, and maybe short pros/cons of the carrying case if you all thought it would be useful.
Good info helps people make good decisions. :)

Info I'm particularly curious about:

1. how is the build quality
2. does it have pockets for sd cards ect.
3. does it have a strap or a place for one

once again, I apologize if this has already been talked about (I know some has) but searching for "case" is not the easiest task.

[edit 07/04/10]:

Questions Answered by Puppydee:
1. The build quality is fantastic, they've been really well made.
2. Yes it has 3 pockets for sd cards.
3. It doesn't have a strap but it has a solid plastic ring that you could hook one to. It also has a belt strap with a plastic clip to undo it easily.

Video of Case:
Thanks Gaercy!

Pics of the case:
acase2.jpg

acase1.jpg
Thanks Dead1nside!

Pic of case strapped to belt:
case3k.jpg

case2b.jpg

case1ix.jpg
Thanks again Gaeryc!

Pros:
  • well made
  • 3 pockets for sd cards
  • complements pandora
  • looks cool
  • protects pandora (except against a bag full of spikes and knives)
  • not to big
  • good for use with a bigger bag (backpack, messenger bag, ect)
  • has a ring that could be used for a strap or a clip
  • works well in a Mercedes Unimog 406
Cons:
  • A little expensive
  • Tight fit at first (loosens up quick)
  • sd cards won't fit when in their plastic housing
  • no room for for tv-out cable, usb cable, or power adaptor
  • too big for (most) pockets
  • looks silly strapped to trousers
Approximate Price:
20 USD
14 GBP

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also be curious to hear opinions of the carrying case. I've been contemplating upgrading shipping and could snag a case at the same time if they're worth it.

I don't have a Pandora nor the carry case. However from the pictures ( http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=78454473.jpg http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=78454312.jpg http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=78462867.jpg) it doesn't appear to be what I'm after.

I want something a little bigger that I can sling in my backpack and know it'll be protected and that I'll have all my Pandora paraphenalia with it.

The case does have space for SD cards and small things like that, but given that it's reported to be quite a tight fit. No room for USB hubs and cables, by the sound of it.

1. how is the build quality
2. does it have pockets for sd cards ect.
3. does it have a strap or a place for one

1. The build quality is fantastic, they've been really well made.
2. Yes it has 3 pockets for sd cards.
3. It doesn't have a strap but it has a solid plastic ring that you could hook one to. It also has a belt strap with a plastic clip to undo it easily.

I'm really glad I bought the case aswell because they do compliment each other and having the pandora logo on it, it looks really cool. It's a tight fit at first but now it's been in and out a few times it's loosened up a bit. If you're buying a pandora then buy the cases aswell because they are really worth it and plus it stops your pandora getting scratched when it's in your pocket.

Thanks for your thoughts Dead1nside and puppydee. I know I'm not planning on carrying too much stuff around with the Pandora so accessory storage doesn't bug me too much, but it would be thrown in a backpack frequently.

So for those of you who have had a Pandy and carry case for a few days, what's your thoughts on the case? Does it provide ample protection? Would a hard case like the Pelican being talked about in different threads be better? Other thoughts?

Slightly off topic. Anyone remember the thread from a long time ago with home sewn cases with an embroidered Pandora logo on top? (Ah, found it http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48907-pandorawiz-softcase-prototype/) How 'bout it andrewe1? You still around? have any interest in making some custom cases or sharing the sewing/embroidery patterns (I have a crappy consumer embroidery/sewing machine)?

I went ahead and added a case to my order, I'll let you know what I think when I get it. Just got my confirmation email so hopefully by monday.

Monkeychops-
I see you are in the U.S as well. What shipping method did you choose?

I upgraded to ups so that it would get here sooner with tracking and because it is my opinion that ups is better for customs.

It has space for SD cards, but you need to take the cards out of the protective plastic housing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zgJPnyAGWM

The video should answer most of your questions about the case and I will answer the rest. Personally I thinks its a good carrying case, it offers protection, holds your sd cards and it's not too big.

jasay said:
Thanks for your thoughts Dead1nside and puppydee. I know I'm not planning on carrying too much stuff around with the Pandora so accessory storage doesn't bug me too much, but it would be thrown in a backpack frequently.

So for those of you who have had a Pandy and carry case for a few days, what's your thoughts on the case? Does it provide ample protection? Would a hard case like the Pelican being talked about in different threads be better? Other thoughts?

I like the case a lot - it was very tight at first, difficult to get the pandora in, but after a week of usage, it fits in there quite nicely. I also don't carry other accessories, use just 1 sd card. For me, it provides enough protection, I just throw it in my shoulder bag, no probs :) I'm not getting a hardcase - my bag is not that full of dangerous things which could damage the pandora.

How much did one of the cases cost again (in GBP)? I was considering adding one to my order, but I'm not sure. Could someone strap it to their trousers and take a picture? I want to know how it feels when it's strapped to you, and if it's too bulky/silly looking. My pockets are a little tight, so I dunno if the Pandora would fit in them easily.

Barnaby said:
Could someone strap it to their trousers and take a picture? I want to know ... if it's too bulky/silly looking.

Yea I guess it's gonna be a bit silly-looking strapped to one's trousers!

The thing with the Pandora, it fits in an inside jacket pocket quite nicely, but it bulk you out a bit on the Pandora's side. It can go in most of my trouser pockets but I wouldn't want to put it in a pair of trouser pockets for anything other than a quick dash from location A to location B. Again it looks very bulky and if you have your wallet in the other pocket then you start to appear slightly clownesque.

Generally, when taking the think out with you for a day, you're probably going to want to take it in some kind of bag.

I personally think that I do look stupid with it strapped to my trousers, better just to use it as a protection for pandora when tossing it in a bag or something.

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/Gaeryc/pandora%20carrying%20case/

The Strap is usefull, if you will use the Pandora in a Mercedes Unimog 406.. :D

DSCN0230.JPG

i mean this bar ^ ^ under the date, hear you can log on the carry case whit the strap..

Gaeryc said:
The video should answer most of your questions about the case and I will answer the rest. Personally I thinks its a good carrying case, it offers protection, holds your sd cards and it's not too big.

I saw that video earlier. Thanks for that. Very useful from a getting to see it point of view.

laurens said:
I like the case a lot - it was very tight at first, difficult to get the pandora in, but after a week of usage, it fits in there quite nicely. I also don't carry other accessories, use just 1 sd card. For me, it provides enough protection, I just throw it in my shoulder bag, no probs :) I'm not getting a hardcase - my bag is not that full of dangerous things which could damage the pandora.

Yeah, my messenger bag (I bicycle a lot) is not exactly full of spikes and knives, but I do throw it around frequently and my 1 year old like to pull it off tables, chairs, etc. onto the floor and play with anything inside.

Barnaby said:
How much did one of the cases cost again (in GBP)? I was considering adding one to my order, but I'm not sure. Could someone strap it to their trousers and take a picture? I want to know how it feels when it's strapped to you, and if it's too bulky/silly looking. My pockets are a little tight, so I dunno if the Pandora would fit in them easily.

I was quoted at 20 USD way back when I ordered, could have changed since then. That's about 14 GBP with today's conversion rate, but no clue what they are actually charging.

Gaeryc said:
I personally think that I do look stupid with it strapped to my trousers, better just to use it as a protection for pandora when tossing it in a bag or something.

Ha! That does look pretty goofy.

matzesu said:
The Strap is usefull, if you will use the Pandora in a Mercedes Unimog 406.. :D
Unfortunately no Unimog (or any car). Though the '68 VW Beetle I drove as a teenager had a bar like that; good memories there.

Gaeryc said:

Thanks for the photos! It does look a bit stupid, doesn't it? Agh I guess I'll just have to buy some baggy trousers with bigger pockets - carrying it in a bag everywhere is too awkward, especially as I want to use it as an MP3 Player too. I used to carry my GP2X in my pocket, and I carry my DS in my pocket sometimes (the original DS), so hopefully it won't look too horrible in there. :lol:

Barnaby said:
Gaeryc said:

Thanks for the photos! It does look a bit stupid, doesn't it? Agh I guess I'll just have to buy some baggy trousers with bigger pockets - carrying it in a bag everywhere is too awkward, especially as I want to use it as an MP3 Player too. I used to carry my GP2X in my pocket, and I carry my DS in my pocket sometimes (the original DS), so hopefully it won't look too horrible in there. :lol:
http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/Gaeryc/?action=view&current=IMAG0006.jpg

It's not alot bigger than the original ds when closed, it's almost the same size. And yes, that on my ds is called dust.

Barnaby said:
Gaeryc said:

I carried the GP2X in the official case in my pocket. ;) You don't need baggy pants for that, just don't get girl pants. ;P

-God Ginrai

Back