This Thing Just Killed The Pandora For Me

Alerino said:
EDIT: cinicraft, really, if there was a gaming handheld that had x86 architecture, i would give it a try, but unfortunately there isn't.
I believe the word you're looking for is fortunately. I don't know about you but me, I like my hands like they are. I'm not about to go toss them on the frying pan. x86s with any sort of decent performance get hot hot HOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a viliv S5 and sold it one week later ,if you want to know all the
horrible details please PM me.

paddy said:
I bought a viliv S5 and sold it one week later ,if you want to know all the
horrible details please PM me.
We want to hear them juicy details here you jerk!

Derek said:
cinicraft said:
Alerino said:
hahahahahahaha, april's fools jokes started...
no qwerty, no gaming controls... stop it, dude, you GOT to be joking...
do you wear clown pants (with those huge pockets) also?

i was seriously considering getting a pandora, but the problem with it is, it can only run linux applications. you will rarely find a decent game ported to linux. and pretty much the latest console emulator will probably be n64. dreamcast will most likely have bad performance.

and when non-profit big gaming projects start, 99% of them are going to be vaporware (i know this from experiance from various mod groups and indepentent game groups) they promis a kickass game, release breath taking trailers, and practically abandon their projects after 4 years of development. (i can give you a massive list of canceled mods/games)

i dont see a bright future with the pandora when it comes to software

sorry if im offending anyone, but im not trolling here. trying to be as respectful as possible.
You are acting as if you can run DECENT games on that device you posted earlier. I highly doubt it, or you would have to lower the settings to get anything to run properly then whats the point. If there was one device to change the opinion people have about the linux community I believe the Pandora might be it.

Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III? (maby)
Diablo II (still addictive as hell)
Total Annihilation
Civ III

What about this, it looks a bit more powerful than Pandora and has keyboard built-in:
http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95

Only $763 once you add monitor mouse and keybaord

50% more battery capacity, 40% less battery life. Gotta love the x86 architecture. :lol:

Sorry, it just ain't gonna happen. x86 will not catch up to ARM in energy efficiency anytime soon. Similarly, ARM probably won't catch up to x86 performance. In a small handheld, with limited power storate and dissipation, it's better to go with power efficiency rather than performance. You don't want to fry your hands (or your battery, heat is bad for Lithium ones), nor have limited battery life (which will degrade faster do to high temperatures).

What will probably happen, is bigger batteries getting into handhelds, thus supporting the more power hungry architecture. The heat problem won't go away, though.

If Windows Os is such a necesity, then go ahead with an x86 solution. But for many people, "it has Windows!!!" its not a plus.

cinicraft said:
Derek said:
edit: [snip]
You are acting as if you can run DECENT games on that device you posted earlier. I highly doubt it, or you would have to lower the settings to get anything to run properly then whats the point. If there was one device to change the opinion people have about the linux community I believe the Pandora might be it.

Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III? (maby)
Total Annihilation
Civ III
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Total Annihilation

> Games that require CDs to run
> Rip CD to image and mount with daemon tools
This thread is now about questionably legal endeavors.

cinicraft said:
[..]
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III? (maby)
Total Annihilation
Civ III
Understandable, if you need to have those games on the go, sure go for it. I'm a fan of Total Annihilation myself, but these days I'd rather play SpringRTS, very interesting mods and great engine. Opensource too, btw.

wermy said:
It the Viliv interests you, I'd look into the Fujitsu U820. You can find it for the same price, and you get a keyboard (it is convertible so you can use it in slate mode), faster CPU, and higher-resolution screen, and it doesn't look much bigger than the S5. Battery life is great too. Everything else looks the same (60GB HDD, 1GB RAM, GPS...) I've had mine for a couple months, and I absolutely love it (I'm typing this on it right now, in fact)! :)

But no, I don't see this as a Pandora replacement (or even competitor). I'll be using my Pandora for very different things. :)

Edit: Not sure if this was just a joke... Oh well, I stand by my recommendation. :)

Not that I'm planning on getting either of these, but where do you see the Fujitsu U820 for anywhere near the same price?
I found it a while back, but the price was high then, and while a little lower now, still seems like way too much:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Fujitsu%20U820&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

which is still a fair bit over the Viliv's $600...

THANKS FOR TIP, BUT I GET PANDORA INSTAED CAUSE I WILL PLAY COUNTERSTRIKE AND BAD COMPANY 2 ON IT! WHAT DOES RETRO MEAN? (jk)

benji_stein said:
Not that I'm planning on getting either of these, but where do you see the Fujitsu U820 for anywhere near the same price?
I found it a while back, but the price was high then, and while a little lower now, still seems like way too much:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Fujitsu%20U820&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

which is still a fair bit over the Viliv's $600...

eBay or ubid. For some reason, there are a TON on there going for $500 and less, brand new, never opened (over on the pocketables.com forums people were even finding them as low as $400 on ubid... But that was after I got mine). I got mine from ebay.

BTW ,i was in the middle of making dinner for my family and that's why i asked
to PM me for info ,the viliv should have been called the eviliv - buy if you want
to make a grave mistake ,i can't even be bothered putting down whats wrong with
the device ,there are other much better devices out there that are x86 like some
of the other members have stated but if you want to waste your money then batter in m8.

Its a pretty good machine.

Its low end, so it suffers for a lot of things. I've got a 3 year old "top of the line then" UMPC, and it can run a bunch of things (not Starcraft, as its very picky about screen sizes).. including Civ 4 even, woowoo :) but its bricky and clunkyt and not really useful for what I'd like, and its terrible at gaming. (yeah, carry a mouse with you, suuuure.)

So UMPCs can be veyr handy in a pinch for a lot of things, but gaming is not one of them :)

Theres a whole class of machines.. the Viliv is not the only, newest or oldest in that class; theres dozens and dozens of compelling machines in that class.

jeff

cinicraft said:
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III? (maby)
Total Annihilation
These games would be pretty unbearable without a keyboard.

Viliv makes well-reviewed UMPCs that seem to have very long battery life (especially on standby) and fast system wake-up times. If you are in the U.S., Bestbuy will start carrying Viliv computers (I don't know when; it was just announced), so you might want to see one in person and find out what the prices are like.

I don't own one and have never seen one in person. The model you're talking about seems to be a good option for a carputer, since it has built-in GPS and the form factor of a turn-by-turn GPS unit.

I thought this video was rather impressive; it's a demonstration of an in-car software application on the S5:
http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/03/streetdeck-on-viliv-s5.html

Ok, maybe it's time now to move this to other consoles, imo.

Thought it was an April fools joke, oh well...

Back