Things that are in the P1 we dont want/need for P2

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Basically what the title said, are there things in the P1 that are not needed for a P2, or do we just want extra's? A lot of us already have had the P1 for a year or something in that range are there things that arent used?

I will never use the extra solder pads but I dont think they should go.... Im not to sure about the 2 USB ports, if we were able to have one host/slave port that supports both 1.0 and 2.0 it would be fine, imo.

*I am a stupid spammer*

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never use the extra solder pads but I dont think they should go....
So long as we don't lose the backlight and R2/L2 ones. Maybe my memory's a bit fuzzy there, but those were there, right? lol

Cracks and gaps in the case, constant creaking... it wouldn't have as much character, but I think I could live without those.

I think the EXT port could go and be replaced with a standard HDMI mini port.

However that would mean we lose external GPIO.

I think the EXT port could go and be replaced with a standard HDMI mini port. However that would mean we lose external GPIO.
I'm with you there. For those who really want the hackabilty, you could always get an arduino nano or similar. Avoidance of the TV-out hassle would be good.

From the point of view of an orderer (not yet an owner)

Full size USB is a plus (as it reduces the need form cables/adapters)

As USB3 can act as a 0.9A power supply, I suggest dropping the dedicated charging port and replacing it with USB 2/USB 3 controller chips

I could do without S-Video out. VGA-out would be great for connecting to beamers for presentations and HDMI-out would be great for connecting to TVs.

I am not sure we really need the three state power button. I haven't really used the lock position and closing of the lid in combination with specific applications running would be sufficient to determine if keys ought to be locked or not. On the other hand, the upcoming hotfix is bringing more diversity in sleep modes, which might benefit from the added control of a third state.

I'm a second-batcher and so haven't gotten my Pandora yet, but as I understand it it has two full-sized SD card slots built-in. While this is certainly nice, I think I could make do with one full-sized slot and one internal micro-SD card slot on the P2.

not when you count the ps1 isos, the turbografx isos, a video or two, and a decent collection of mp3s. but sdxc on the other hand, could easily replace those two....as long as theres a microsd for OS under the battery

I'm a second-batcher and so haven't gotten my Pandora yet, but as I understand it it has two full-sized SD card slots built-in. While this is certainly nice, I think I could make do with one full-sized slot and one internal micro-SD card slot on the P2.

i wouldnt want to miss the extra sd card slot, since i use small cards, its easy to swap data file cards and leave all programmes on one card.

i wouldnt want to miss the extra sd card slot, since i use small cards, its easy to swap data file cards and leave all programmes on one card.

Actually I'd love a third one or an additional internal one (I even thought about soldering a low-profile MicroSDHC reader to the USB port internally although it seems to draw way too much current for some reason oO)

I've just filled a 32GB SDHC card with music and gemrb games!

EDIT: I'm thinking about the speakers right now. They're not of good enough quality to be used regularily but they are pretty handy when you just want to have some sound without having to search for your headphones or don't want other people to plug yours into their ears.

EDIT: I'm thinking about the speakers right now. They're not of good enough quality to be used regularily but they are pretty handy when you just want to have some sound without having to search for your headphones or don't want other people to plug yours into their ears.

In my ears the quality of the speakers is great for such a small device given there are no millions of dollars to go into hardware design, like say Nokia can spend - the N95 for example sounds awesome for it's size. What the pandora speakers lack is volume.

Edit: Dropping the EXT-Port and thus UART stuff would make a few people sad, I can imagine. Of course the damned cables have to exist to make this point valid.

Well, the only officially planned cable was TV out anyway. As for the rest, well the connectors are out there now... I'm sure I'm not the only one who participated in the group purchase who still has a stash of them. If you have a hardware design you want to try out, but lack a connector for it, then I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a nearby community member willing to sell you a couple.

- Neelix

Dito xD I have 49 unused connectors and 9 breakout boards. Although I intend to use some of them after exams. And the internal solder pads rock, too. I really need to learn electronics more, my Pandora needs a vibrator! (Like the ones in cellphones not the ones in people...)

Back