What standards can the P2 follow?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
eSATA

USB3.0 (low + full + high + super speed)

microUSB

SDXC 4.0

microSDXC

BT 4.0

wifi b/g/n

'HD' (= 720x1280)

The peripheral hardware required by android for their 'app store'

both the real and apple 3.5mm headset pinouts

0.1" headers

cases designed for the DS family

the same battery as the P1

The same stylus size as something else

I2C

HDMI

I'm thinking that, ideally, the P2 should follow a standard (or pseudostandards) in as many ways as makes practical sense, so as to reduce the number of accessories needed to be specially made and to make things cheaper and easier for customers.

Here are the ones I can think of; what have I missed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe elaborate on the ideal type of screen that you'd prefer?  Resistive versus capacitive - pentile or non-pentile.  (am)OLED?  I'd really like to see a more sensitive touch feature like the Samsung Note 2 has...with different pressures registering differently - a more improved stylus with a rubber tip.  No scratching...

As for certain standards?  I say yes to HDMI (mini or full size is okay).  USB 3 for sure.  usb micro that could draw up to 2Amps so that we wouldn't need the extra power plug?  An improved wifi chip that supports all of the "bands".  HD I guess would be nice, but I think that ED said it'd draw too much power?  All the more reason then to go to an OLED screen...

What about the volume wheel?  Do we need it?  I'm for at least one full sized SD slot (with as high of a transfer speed as we can get).

The volume wheel is needed because you lose a bit of resolution every time you digitally half the volume

My ideal screen is a non-pentile 1280x800 (aka 'HD' - 1080 is 'fullHD')(AM)OLED multitouch resistive pressure-sensing screen

I'd also like a better wifi chip, buts thats off-topic.

I'm talking about standards here, not specs in general :)

eSATA - devices may be too big/ power hungry

USB3.0 (low + full + high + super speed) - too much power, usb 2 is where its at for mobile

wifi b/g/n - wireless ac and wifi direct

HDMI - royaties on hdmi, mini display port is royalty free
HDMI requires a licence 

I'm thinking mini-displayport or micro-displayport since they do sound/video and easily convert to hdmi 

Pen digitizer functionality in Galaxy Note 2 is licensed from Wacom, which means extra cost.

How about DVI-D over an HDMI connector in the same way as the beagleboard does it?

The wikipedia article said:
The Wacom tablet functionality was in 1992 used in the screen of the Compaq Concerto computer, making it into an early tablet computer.
That means that their patent should have expired last year...
I would suggest USB3 + (eSATA+USB3=eATAp)

The eSATA would use the power from the USB port, and the P2 will have large battery to back it up.

Displayport would be good too.

How about DVI-D over an HDMI connector in the same way as the beagleboard does it?

The Wacom tablet functionality was in 1992 used in the screen of the Compaq Concerto computer, making it into an early tablet computer.

The eSATA would use the power from the USB port, and the P2 will have large battery to back it up.

Great ideaS - and good points. 30 years and there have been improvements, but can't we also try and improve our product line (within legality)?

An expiration of the patent does not mean a free cookie, that means you have alternative solutions (etc, Hanvon from China) which may lower the cost.

Still, the latest generation of the related technology is protected by other patents and is not cheap.

Don't see the need on user side that justifies the additonal expenses (money, power, pcb space, case volume), besides that I doubt the P2 could make full use of the bandwidth that eSATA offers.
HDMI requires a licence 

I'm thinking mini-displayport or micro-displayport since they do sound/video and easily convert to hdmi
Altough Displayport would be really cool, I doubt it will be possible. In the end it will come down to what the SoC offers which will be HDMI. So including DP would need an additional controller => see eSATA. IIRC Ed already wrote somewhere that they would be willing to pay the fees for HDMI.

Or DVI-D using an HDMI connector, which is perfectly compatible with HDMI exempt the audio channels, but counts as being a different connector

If there is ever a Pandora successor, the quality of the audio circuitry must be at least as good as the one in the Pandora!

It's awesome… I think it may be even better than my old iRiver HP140 (and that one was quite loved by some audiophile back then IIRC).

What I would like is, like the HP140, having optical input/output. I'm used to those, I started using them with minidisc recorder/players. They're quite handy.

And I want a 16:10 screen… 16:9 is awful at displaying 4:3 content. (too much screen surface lost)

With 16:10 you have really small black bars when displaying 16:9 content.

When displaying 4:3 (or 5:4) content, you get slightly smaller black bars on the sides than with 16:9 screen.

It allows to have docks and/or panels at the bottom/top of the screen without loosing the ability to display a full 16:9 content…

For me it's really the best display aspect ratio ;)

Not sure there is that much space left for optical input/output. Especially after all the things people are requesting :)

This being said I agree with you that the audio capability should be maintained at least at the current level, if not better!

You don't get sound, you don't have to pay the licence fees.
But isn't that contradicting with the original intention of the thread - adhere to as many "standards" as possible ?

I would rather see the OP Team go the extra license mile than having to constantly explain newbies that altough it is an hdmi connector it does not (fully) support the standard. Plus you would loose the "goodies" that hdmi offers..mmhh can not think of much, except cec (which comes in quite handy, but the usecases for a P2 as a cec master/client would probably be rare).

But isn't that contradicting with the original intention of the thread - adhere to as many "standards" as possible ?

I would rather see the OP Team go the extra license mile than having to constantly explain newbies that altough it is an hdmi connector it does not (fully) support the standard. Plus you would loose the "goodies" that hdmi offers..mmhh can not think of much, except cec (which comes in quite handy, but the usecases for a P2 as a cec master/client would probably be rare).
I suspect the license cost to be prohibitive and significantly raise the per unit cost of the new Pandoras, unless we plan to manufacture millions of them (and that is PROBABLY not going to happen). And if you are worried about newbies, tell them to get 99 dollars android devices :)

If get DVI or USB3 that should be far enough to get full HD video out.

I suspect the license cost to be prohibitive and significantly raise the per unit cost of the new Pandoras, unless we plan to manufacture millions of them (and that is PROBABLY not going to happen). And if you are worried about newbies, tell them to get 99 dollars android devices :)

If get DVI or USB3 that should be far enough to get full HD video out.
License fees aren't cheap no doubt, but I have a distinct impression that ED (or was it craig ?) already said they would be willing to pay it.

I'm asking myself currently how to solve the audio problem if only the video signal would be available through the hdmi port - do most standard TVs come with an additional audio input these days ?

Back