There Will Be 2 Consoles Xgp And Gpx2

my god cant believe I read this thread!

10 pages of crap and reesy sums it all up in two sentences...

I think you hear craig very well - but none of you guys are listening!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO - I love the GP32 the same way as I love the dreamcast - same way that I love episode 4 (??) of Star wars...

prequels and sequels always dissapoint!

and as for the psp - no feckin way - Im so glad to be one of the only gamers out there that doesnt have to have my lesiur time mediated through sony or apple - vive la difference! long live home brew

rant over!

sPaCe :ph34r:

spaceboygp32x posted on Jul 21 2005 at 03:55 PM said:
my god cant believe I read this thread!

10 pages of crap and reesy sums it all up in two sentences...

I think you hear craig very well - but none of you guys are listening!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO - I love the GP32 the same way as I love the dreamcast - same way that I love episode 4 (??) of Star wars...

prequels and sequels always dissapoint!

and as for the psp - no feckin way - Im so glad to be one of the only gamers out there that doesnt have to have my lesiur time mediated through sony or apple - vive la difference! long live home brew

rant over!

sPaCe  :ph34r:

Yeah I am a bit nervous about what the new one will leave out. If it is going to be
CHEAPER than the current model there has to be some costs cut somewhere. I am afraid it will be better in some ways but not as good in others. It may have a faster CPU but a smaller screen. Or it may have more memory and more buttons but only one speaker so you lose the stereo. It could have a hoaky controller config. You never know until the specs are released. Until then keep your fingers crossed that GP won't do something dumb.

With the current one it was kind of a luck out that it worked out so well. I doubt GP thought to build it so that it would fit emulation so well. It was a product of its time. Now with the push for everything to have uber high res, fancy 3D GPUs, analog pads, fancy OSs, and a high power custom battery to drive it all, it can get to be overkill. In some ways it can be detrimental to emulation such as high res widescreen etc.

I think the GP32II that Craig is involved with will be our best hope. Otherwise there is still the current model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheaper does NOT mean cost-cuts. GP32 was priced to 150€ or so, because the parts it required weren't anymore readily available in great quantities, and thus expensive. Propably why they chanced the screen, too. A new machine can use newer, cheaper chips, screen and memory, which are available in abundance, while still being more powerfull. The more the manufacturer builds these, the cheaper they get. Building a Atari 2600 today would be very expensive, even if the machine itself is not powerfull according to today's standards. Just because you cannot get the chips easily.

And expensive may still mean hoaky controller config. :p

i doubt that we have anything to worry about with the new gbax backed gp32 as craig has had significant input with it and he knows exactly what is needed. Whenever i have met him he has impressed me with his current and past gaming knowledge. He knows what we want as he is a true gamer himself.

Let's sit back, relax and look forward to what will surely be a tremendous new natural successor to the gp32.

Julius posted on Jul 21 2005 at 09:43 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 21 2005 at 05:42 PM said:
only one speaker so you lose the stereo.

I could really live with that (as long as the headphones are still stereo).

That is nice for you but I would really miss the great stereo while playing DrMD. It sounds so nice with it. carrying around earphones with an annoying cord is no option for me.

saturn was more powerful actually, but a bitch to program for. it was much like the amiga and needed a lot of talent to get the best out of it. most 3rd party developers dropped the system because of this, and that's why it died.

Jaw posted on Jul 22 2005 at 07:27 AM said:
saturn was more powerful actually, but a bitch to program for. it was much like the amiga and needed a lot of talent to get the best out of it. most 3rd party developers dropped the system because of this, and that's why it died.

beat me to it!

just look at what the saturn could do when programmed by the right people.

For instance, people said that it couldnt do transparancies, then along came panzer dragoon zwei which blew that myth out the water. It could also run in a very high res for a console at that time a la virtua fighter 2 and it was also the most powerful when it came to 2d processing power with the odd game still trickling out from japan until a couple of years ago, almost 10 years after its original launch.

The japanese loved it as it was still doing 2d games in abundance, with a number of quality 3d games on the side. A tragedy it didnt succeed in the west.

I'm still working on getting the max out of the SEGA Saturn, because only few games did.

Programming Saturn isn't difficult, it's just more difficult to reach the max than it is compared to PeeSX. :D

jmetal88 posted on Jul 21 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
Reread the entire thread. Every single post. You will discover you are wrong, and are just confusing people.

And like I mentioned, they may be advertising it (GPx2) as a PMP, but it will most certainly end up being like a beefed up GP32 (right down to aspect ratio). The XGP will almost certainly be a PSP clone, which I don't particularly find useful.

EDIT: Besides, games are basically interactive media. Who says a PMP wouldn't play games? XGP is the widescreen one. GPx2 is described as a PMP. Craig is assuring us we'll be happy with the GPx2, and I have corresponded with Jr2Swiss and he says we'll definately not be dissappointed with the GPx2 (yes, he actually called it that). So yes, if you read all nine pages, unless your are just stubborn, you can see that the GPx2 "PMP" is not just a PMP and is actually what most of us would rather have.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

LHC posted on Jul 22 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
What NO? The GPX2 won't be an mp3 player? Or it won't be called GPX2 or it will have a widescreen but XGP won't? Or just everything in the entire thread is false? Can you clear it up?

The GPX2 is not the PMP.
The GPX2 will not have widescreen as far as we know- although details are not yet released.

XGP is described as a PMP.
XGP has widescreen.

Reesy was correct here:

Reesy posted on Jul 20 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
It strange I can't understand what the confusion is all about.

Gamepark are releasing a handheld called Xgp. This is NOT the one Craig at gbax will be selling and it will NOT support homebrew. We have the specs of this handheld.

Gamepark Holdings are creating their own handheld, this is the one that Craig will be selling and does support homebrew. We don't have the specs for this handheld as yet.

All clear.

and you got it pretty much correct here anyway:

Rob posted on Jul 21 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
And the open source one would be the GPX2 which will have the same screen as GP32 and probably no 3rd party support just as gp32_console :D

The new GPX2?
gpx015gc.jpg

konstank posted on Jul 22 2005 at 04:52 PM said:
The new GPX2?
gpx015gc.jpg

Wow what PS skillz.

That idea is bad though. How can you have an 8-way analog stick? 8-way means it is digital, analog means it is infinite directions. Plus that goofy screen resolution? Front triggers? it doesn't look to convienient to use those either.

Maybe we should have a design your own GP32II thread. The best submission gets made.

I think he means a d-stick. I also think the res isn't right it should be 320x240 or 640x480.

I still say something like mine would be better for emulation. It works in both horizontal mode for regular stuff, and vertical for all of the MAME games. With that other one there aren't buttons that would be convenient in vertical mode. Plus it is simpler and easier to make. The case design could be changed slightly. I just modded a GP32 picture so it wouldn't take long.

GP32II.jpg

DaveC's looks not bad, but I'd rather have a D-Pad a la GBA/SNES/whatever. D-sticks are okay when you get used to them, but they do seem a little too sensitive at times. I also don't really like the clicky L/R buttons on the GP32. Again these are okay, but I'd like to see them made in a more traditional style.

One more button wouldn't go amiss either. A menu button, which when held for 3 seconds or whatever, would go to the game's menu. I prefer this to "Hold select for X seconds" or "Press L + R together", as I find it difficult to remember which game/emulator uses which method.

I'd go with DaveC's design if he changed the D-stick for a D-pad, and placed the 'Select' button underneath the 'Start' button, rather than next to it (It would then look more like the old arcade machine when on it's side and be easier to handle). We could also use a PSP like speaker design to save space rather than the huge amount of space the current GP32 speakers take up.

I'd also like to see the power switch removed and replaced with a button - you could then press the button once whilst in a emu to go into standby mode, which would kill the LCD and stop the processor, but keep the ram powered. Pressing it again would resume. Holding the button down for say 2 seconds would power down or power up the console.

Back