Release The Tube

Awesome, and is there a way to pass queries from command line so we can create a launch script or shortcut for our browsers of choice?
no...not sure, but if you want something that launches a videoplayer based on the video id (which could come from  the browser), you would want something even simpler  (there may even be scripts already on the web that do that..)

The newest version seems to have lost the ability to show video author?

Some means to paste a youtube hyperlink into the application.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fsuqyct70&feature=youtu.be
IIRC, if you just put the "v" parameter value (bolded) in the search, you'd get your video

Edit: Apparently you can't bold in a code block : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fsuqyct70&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:
small update..
Hey m8,

The clipboard player works great, when links get pasted in irc, I can just right click it, copy selected link and it starts the player.Thanks!

But I have one more request, when I exit the video with ESC or Q it quits the application and doesnt work anymore so I have to restart The Tube. It would be nice if the clipboard player could stay in memory after the video is exited. Also I found that it when I restart the Tube, it starts playing the same link that's still in the clipboard. So maybe it should either recognize it was already played or clear the clipboard after a link was played?

Thanks for your effort so far anyway, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Just found out that the program does indeed stay in memory because 5 instances just quit when I copied a regular non-youtube link. :) Maybe it needs to filter that then.

Most probably the video didnt start playing after the 1st time because I clicked the same link? A clear clipboard function when youtube is detected could be a solution to that.

Also youtu.be links like this https://youtu.be/CJQU22Ttpwcmake the player quit too unfortunately.

I have put up an update which behaves a bit better..it also gives an error if you copy a link that e.g. needs a login (cannot play atm.)

Thanks once again! Your application is soooooo useful.

May I request some more stuff to make it even more awesome? A systray icon would be nice, as well as a way to log in on YouTube. Also I found that my clipboard can not really be used for other stuff when the tube is running. Maybe it should filter out the YouTube links and leave all the rest alone?

Thanks for your effort so far! ;)

Cheers!

It's been in my tray since you released this update, I love it!

Is there a way to copy the youtube link of the video found in the browser so that I can paste it somewhere else?

Sorry for pushing you man, I'm just enthousiastic ;)

Do you make TheTube - Desktop version too?  I want to use it on my desktop too - Linux debian desktop

Do you make TheTube - Desktop version too?  I want to use it on my desktop too - Linux debian desktop
its python, and will run (probably best on a linux machine) if the prerequisites (python >2.7.6 and pygtk and mplayer or mpv) are installed. you can try to copy the whole directory /mnt/tmp/thetube

(when the tube is running) to some place on the SD card and then copy it to your desktop (the only things you really need are the /bin and icon*.png)

and then run:

python driver.py --help

on the command line (on your desktop)

edit: pygtk is also needed (probably some version 2.20) and thus gtk2

Hi :)

@ Sepulep: thanks for that very useful application !

Is there an option to change the playback speed of a video ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back