The Tournament Hub (Launcher)

I'm still using the old c4all poundie thangie on my Panda, I'm waiting for this to get a bit of a shake out, unless I should do it and give good feedback?  I hate peer pressure, but I also hate myself...should I try it?  I'm going to wait until I get official word from the voices in my head...

Launched once, worked only one game appeared.

Then once again :

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/SD2/pandora/menu/tournamenthub.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/SD2/pandora/appdata/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : ./C4AMenu
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD2/pandora/appdata/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( ./C4AMenu  ) ----------
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 522:  2971 Segmentation fault      "$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS "$@"
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( ./C4AMenu  ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 2

Weekends are mostly family time for me .. Maybe i have some time to check things out tonight or tomorrow night (re: c4a-mame and battlejewels) .. Patience folks, we're building a lot of new stuff all at once across multiple people :)

Jeffphone

Pmprog .. I think modules should sync themselves offhand .. So if you run c4a-mame (or an indie or whatever), they can sync.

Are you invoking sync (sc) yourself?

No, I don't use you're sync client, i make web requests using libcurl.

I'm not in a position to look at anything now until i get home on Monday

I have music and a huge message saying ..No Profile Found!

Nice background though. Stomping my foot to the music as I type this. :lol:

My wifi is enabled and I did have a profile with Comp4All

***UPDATE

***pressed shoulder button by accident and ohhhhhh my I see my tournament games now. Not all of them.

Sorry if this post seems redundant but I was really surprised it has come along so well.

Thank you.

***UPDATE

*** updated Tournament Hub now I notice L/R shoulder button when pressed shows ..Options and there is nothing there then Games ..favorites,installed,tournament and available...nothing appears up when I press AYB OR X buttons for any of the gaming options. Another press of L/R button brings up my profile name with a Bub's Brothers dinosaur icon  :)  then the Credits show with another press....all with that catchy music playing and a black,orange ,yellow background.

my wifi is on and working.

Last edited:
It's awesome progress.  This thing is great.  Just needs a few minor tweaks to be perfect, from where I'm sitting.

I did some Favorites, I checked out all the settings, like I said...it just needs to launch the game itself from the launcher...not just launch C4A.  Otherwise, this is no more than a fancy scoreboard.  If it doesn't launch directly from the launcher, it isn't really a luancher, is it?

But great work, I have the utmost confidence these few small issues will be worked out.

I also noticed if you press the 'a' button on the qwerty keyboard it brings up what appears to be a search engine for a loaded game you want to type in and play I suppose.

Last edited:
I have music and a huge message saying ..No Profile Found!

{snip}

***pressed shoulder button by accident and ohhhhhh my I see my tournament games now. Not all of them.
If the launcher can't determine the player's profile, it'll take them to the profile page, which, further down the line, will let them create and maintain. I didn't bother mentioning using L and R earlier because the other tabs are rather void of content

I did some Favorites, I checked out all the settings, like I said...it just needs to launch the game itself from the launcher...not just launch C4A.  Otherwise, this is no more than a fancy scoreboard.  If it doesn't launch directly from the launcher, it isn't really a luancher, is it?
I've already metioned this, I can only start other people's PND's. This will be okay once Jeff releases an updated C4AMAME PND.

I also noticed if you press the 'a' button on the qwerty keyboard it brings up what appears to be a search engine for a loaded game you want to type in and play I suppose.
Yep, please be aware that the filtering is case sensitive at the minute. I put an "issue" on my GitHub to remind me to look at making in case insensitive

Hey man, great work on this! Really enjoying testing it out and watching the project come together.

I'll just say that this is exactly the sort of thing that can become a selling point for Pandora!  Being able to compete against other people from all over the world, right from your own living room...is a very cool thing.  This is why I say the more games added, the better.  I understand the project has to get on a stable base before that happens, but I am hoping we won't just be drip-fed a couple new titles every month, I'd like to see twenty or more per month.

Launched once, worked only one game appeared.

Then once again :
Hmmm, that log file doesn't really give me anything. Can you reproduce it easily? Can you tell me what you were doing at the time?

Also, what version of the firmware are you running?

A new version has been released. There's an options page that half works (you can't enter proxy details yet).

However, for those struggling to get games listing and images, you can change the download timeout time and concurrent downloads allowed. Reducing concurrents and increasing the timeout should give you the best chance to actually get it all working.

Oh, and the filtering option is now case insensitive :)

Also, if anyone is interested, you can find the source code in GitHub

https://github.com/pmprog/ROTMenu

Last edited by a moderator:
Fired it up just now .. segfault after the Open Pandora logo. (no appdata previously existed, didn't try it at all until now sorry :(

Folks, try this build of compo4all-mame.pnd and let me know if it works; when pmprog's menu here fires up c4a-mame it should skip the normal frontend and go right into the game.

http://www.skeleton.org/tmp/compo4all-mame.pnd

(Maybe I'll have to tweak the server-side config for it.)

I've not updated the repo yet, wanted to get a test in; I don't get much free time, so didn't test heavily.

In essence .. anything passed after -- in pnd_run.sh should be handed right to mame, and skip the c4a-frontend entirely. (ie: mame should run, and then the pnd will exit. It will not return to the c4a-frontend at all, so it can exit back to Tournament Hub.)

pmprog .. To test it by hand  .. look in the .desktop at /usr/share/appllications for c4a-mame......desktop there; the Exec= line is in there. Copy/paste that to a terminal, and then add " -- dkong" to it, and it'll run and fire up donkey kong; in theory, thats what the server should be telling you, and what you shoudl be doing. Let me know how it goes ;)

jeff

Fired it up just now .. segfault after the Open Pandora logo. (no appdata previously existed, didn't try it at all until now sorry :(
Hmmm, that's really odd. Can you send me or post your /tmp/pndrun_thetournamenthub.marqwatkin.out file please?
I'll give your C4A PND a whirl. Fingers crossed :)

Ugh. I'm getting segfaults with the latest PND. Will have to look at that ASAP.

Must have broken something between testing the compiled app and packaging :(

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have something that DOES work for the moment, so I'll wait till this one is tested out...and then let us all know when a new C4A.pnd and a new hub .pnd are released.

Back