The Tournament Hub (Launcher)

If you prefer Allegro, use it? Or do you think it is the source of the crashes?

Add a lot more debugging in, even if just plain old fprintf(stderr,...) logs. (Another good trick is to keep an array of char streings (like char logbuf[][] sort, to save you malloc'ing each line); then your logprintf() type routine can just strdup or strncpy into the buffer, incrementing the log line each time; then make sure you insert like: logbuf [ line % MAXSIZE ] so its looping around inside the buffer; log crazy verhbosely there; then when a crash occurs, if you get a coredump, you can just open it up in gdb and look at the logbuf and the line counter, and you'll know the last few lines of log, without having filled up the 'disk' with log files...

Anyway, g'luck, always a drag when it crashes for everyone _else_ :)

(maybe a crash that only occurs in optimized mode, not debug mode? If so, if the crash goes awya with -g, then almost always means a buffer overrun, even if only by 1 byte for trailing \0's...)

jeff

It would crash if you tried to lock and unlock bitmaps, which I was trying to use to greyscale images. I couldn't work out how to fix it, and I'm not sure if ptitSub ever looked.
I can't be sure it was or wasn't the source of the crashes (or at least some of them), so I thought if I tried SDL, which is pretty well established on the Pandora, that should remove some guesswork. It does mean extra code (either mine, or a library) to replicate a number of useful functions.

(maybe a crash that only occurs in optimized mode, not debug mode? If so, if the crash goes awya with -g, then almost always means a buffer overrun, even if only by 1 byte for trailing \0's...)
I ran the same release PND on my Pandora, and as far as I know, I've not got any special libraries on there that weren't in the PND.
This next version should hopefully be more robust... Fingers crossed

It would crash if you tried to lock and unlock bitmaps, which I was trying to use to greyscale images. I couldn't work out how to fix it, and I'm not sure if ptitSub ever looked.

I can't be sure it was or wasn't the source of the crashes (or at least some of them), so I thought if I tried SDL, which is pretty well established on the Pandora, that should remove some guesswork. It does mean extra code (either mine, or a library) to replicate a number of useful functions.

I ran the same release PND on my Pandora, and as far as I know, I've not got any special libraries on there that weren't in the PND.

This next version should hopefully be more robust... Fingers crossed
Well, I learned a few things about glReadPixels while working on Jedi Knight, so now is the time to take a look bak at this (it's safer to glReaPixels only GL_RGBA/GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, and use only Power of Two for dimensions). I'll try this week end to fix it for good.

Well the banner images off C4A site are 360x130... I wonder if this could be the problem?

I have re-looked at lock / unlock. Still cannot figured out what's wrong, but I've made some (little) step in the understanding on how it (should) work.

On a side note, locked bitmap are upside down on OpenGLES, so to compensate that (plus PoT dimension) the bitmap is given by the end, and pitch is given as a negative value. For example, for the banner (size = 360), you don't do nextline = +360*4, but nextline = +pitch, where here pitch is -512*4 = -2048 => that's why it crashed.

but it's still black...

It seems the rapidjson library that I included also seems to be causing a number of crashes when I try and run it on my netbook. Don't know if this is related to the Pandora crashes, but something to consider (because I was going to use this in my rewrite too)

JSON is not particualrly complex, especially at the level I'm using it here for the protocol; roll your own :)

ie:

to spit out JSON, you could just sprintf() it.

For parsing it, its not like my formats change much; genmerally array of key-value pairs; make a parse routine to drop out a linked list and away you go :)

jeff

Okay, so it turns out my rapidjson bug was not actually a problem with rapidjson - more of a bizarre situation that I hadn't seen before.

Things have been progressing well this week. There's a new visual design to the launcher which I'm not ready to show yet, but it'll seem somewhat familiar when you see it ;)

Is there anyone out there willing to assist me with language translations? I have Foxblock doing my German, I was wondering if we had anyone who might help with other languages?

I've not got my full string table yet, but I just wanted to get a feel for who's out there willing to help.

Cheers

Is there anyone out there willing to assist me with language translations? I have Foxblock doing my German, I was wondering if we had anyone who might help with other languages?

I've not got my full string table yet, but I just wanted to get a feel for who's out there willing to help.

Cheers
I can do French and Japanese :)  

Cheers
 I can do French and Japanese :)
Thanks, I'll give you a shout in a couple of days when I've sorted some more stuff out

A little update for you all:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vI3cMCv5aGI?feature=oembed
Some notes:

• Windows logo on the front screen changes with the platform you're running (or at least compiled)
  • Missing the games list and details and no background music yet
  • Profile screen is incomplete
  • Redesigned to flow with PNDManager
  • There's a notification tray in the bottom left - in the video you can see the downloads, on the Pandora or a laptop/netbook, you'll see a battery indicator too
  • There's also a "light" theme, where the background is white and text is black. You can also add your own background on top

Neat.

I'm not sure I like the "recently beaten in"-feature... it's totally awesome and evil in the same place :D

AAAAWESOME :D

Tried the Tournament for the first time, had downloaded your most recent version.

I see the "launching screen (b/w)", then the colorful background, occasionally some attempt to load more screen elements such as the game tiles or menu items; and then the app crashes.

I even tried it with both the appdata from c4a and tournamentHub renamed. Same problem; crashes.

=======================================================================================

PND             : /media/snpa/pandora/apps/tournamenthub.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : /media/snpa/pandora/appdata/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : ./C4AMenu

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/snpa/pandora/appdata/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( ./C4AMenu  ) ----------

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 522:  7253 Segmentation fault      "$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS "$@"

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( ./C4AMenu  ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/thetournamenthub.marqwatkin': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

Back