The Sunday Suprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, save state and full sound support would be best... I can live with or without zips.

I can live without save state and full sound support too but it would be nice :D

For the roms dir it defaults to my GENESIS folder.

It makes sense to improve the speed first really, doesn't it... some of us don't have much overclockability you know ;)

The sound still needs some tweaking, but it works really well for most games - all in all a pretty darned nice surprise!

fade posted on Oct 31 2004 at 10:45 PM said:
Yeah i concur Craig, the speed seems amazing just now. Zip support gets my vote.

Hmm, in saying that, some great games do still seem a wee bit slow *cough* Sonic2 *cough* think i'll join the general consensus and switch my vote to more speed!

Awesome emulator! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
saving is the most important thing. rpg's and other complex games aren't playable without saving...

Saving gets my vote too but if it's a choice between zip and speed then speed is more important unless zip support can be added easier. TBH the emulator is fine and any improvements will be gratefully accepted.

Top Job Reesy and cheers craig for hosting the excellent compo.

1. savestates
2. Brightness ajustment
3. Shining force 1 or 2 working ( i would be very very very very happy !!!!)

anyway its GREAT

for me speed does not need fixed, at 156mhz, there are a few games, especially Gunstar Heroes that is so fast i can't tell what the hell is going on. But still my favorite Genesis game is still unplayable. College Football National Championship. Will not play on any gp genesis emulator yet.

EDIT: Actually, the autoframeskip sucks, please make a frameskip option. 2 of my 6 games I play are very choppy because of the auto frameskp

I would vote for sorting the speed issue out, making it run at the correct speed (not to fast or too slow) then sound, then save states. After that, THEN concentrate on zip support.

thanks Reesy!!! And thank you craigx for sponsering it!

Which games don't run at the correct speed? Or do you mean the music is playing too fast / slow?

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Gunstar heroes is way to choppy with the auto frameskip, making it way to fast.
Streets of Rage 3 is fine until you get 2 or more enemies and then the auto frameskip kicks in and its choppy and a little to fast.
Sonic and knuckles runs fine until you start doing anything, especially running and when you get an item, especially fast shoes, the autoframeskip kicks in and makes it all choppy.

I ran all these games on the 156mhz speed, it is even worse on 132mhz. FGEN was the same way for me, but if i put it frameskip 2 the whole time then everything played great.

i notice a slowdown in sonic 2 and the sonic and knuckles games, although it might just be the music itself slowing down

This version is much better than the last. If it continues like this, the GP32 will be a perfect handheld Megadrive (other than cyclone bug). I know it is a WIP but some suggestions below.

1) .ZIP support. MD games are big, it would be nice to increase the amount on a card.

2) saves. otherwise RPGs are not useable.

3) Contrast. The background is still a medium gray. It needs to be BLACK, a space scene background should match the unused bars at the top and bottom of the screen. It should be an RGB value of 0,0,0, always. It tends to look hazy/washed out now especially on the BLU. This one should be a simple fix too just change the values of black to 0, white should be at maximum and everything works down from there.

4) support for long filenames would be nice.

5) it allows for controls to be configured but only for select, a,b. it should allow for right shoulder button to be used if wanted because select shuts off the light on the BLU. So you could have a,b,right shoulder if wanted.

Anyway this is comming along great, thanks for the fantastic work :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, Z80 needs fixing, as it seems to be the thing thats causing strange sound problems.

Another emulator without proper filenames, It's like a SONIC~1.SMD lottery - Which one will I get? Bugger, it was Sonic Spinball!

Very fast though, and it plays Worms! Yay!

®
how bout you just rename your roms

Because they are already named correctly and I have hundreds, I'm not going to rename my ROMs WRONGLY because an emulator doesn't yet support long filenames. I just wish all the emulators had long filenames as standard, I get this problem with a few other on the GP32, (SUPER~1 is another constant pain with the SNES, where they have taken the time to add music and 3D effects to the menus but not to use proper filenames) which is why I lke the fEmulators as they use the correct names as it should be. We need a campaign to champion long filenames!

Also I agree with DaveC, the buttons need to be more configurable, letting you use the shoulder buttons, as holding Select switches the BLU light off! My ideal configuration would be A&B mapped to A&B on the GP32, and C as the right shoulder button, leaving Select for the emulator menu itself, as you would only ever need to press that once.

Great Emulator though, amazing speed and sound! Lots of games now run which Gigadrive & fGen would never play for me...

®

What about integrating a Rom-Database with cache (like LittleJohn, FGen, Castaway, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back