The Rabbit Joint

quote said:
Still, it's hacked, so I'm getting some fun out of tinkering around with homebrew and such.

I intend to get one sometime soon. I'll wait until there's no more warranty to hack it, though.
On another note, I got to play the Metroid: Other M demo at the Nintendo World Store in NYC. It was fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still no entirely sure what to think of the wii. I love my gamecube and I have played games on the wii with friends numerous times but I can't convince myself to pick one up. There is a couple of games that actually tempt me but just a couple. Anything in the homebrew sector that justifies buying one?

The Wii's strength for me is the homebrew scene. It's so easy to softmod too, with the Bannerbomb method (put files on SD card, insert SD card, run it). As for actual Wii games, the only things that really appeal to me are the reboots of old IPs like NewSMB, and the upcoming Donkey Kong Country. Not sure if that says more about me, or the Wii catalogue...

Sports Resort with Motionplus is actually quite fun, although I don't see a lot of longevity in it.

Gruso said:
As for actual Wii games, the only things that really appeal to me are the reboots of old IPs like NewSMB, and the upcoming Donkey Kong Country. Not sure if that says more about me, or the Wii catalogue...
I had actually wanted to buy a Wii recently to mod it and fuck around on it, but then I thought "If I buy a Wii, what games would I play?" and I could only name a small handful.

Crunchwrap said:
Gruso said:
As for actual Wii games, the only things that really appeal to me are the reboots of old IPs like NewSMB, and the upcoming Donkey Kong Country. Not sure if that says more about me, or the Wii catalogue...
I had actually wanted to buy a Wii recently to mod it and fuck around on it, but then I thought "If I buy a Wii, what games would I play?" and I could only name a small handful.
The Wii isn't that bad really. True, Nintendo does seem to favor the kid's games genre but there are some kickass games for it. My latest game for it is Sin & Punishment, I highly recommend it btw. But I will admit that the ease of hacking it was the main reason for buying it. That and the Wii offers the most lightgun compatible games. IDK, do you guys think that if the Wii had hi-def output that it would be more popular? I tend to think yes, but that would have made the price higher which was one of it's strong selling points early on.

The Wii isn't so easily hackable anymore. The Bannerbomb exploit was patched in system menu 4.3 (I think). To hack any updated Wii, you'll need a particular game (I think there're a couple of in-game exploits for 4.3).
I need to get a motionplus thingy. Does it actually give 1:1 motion sensing like Nintendo claim? I haven't seen any demos proving it.

Gruso said:
The Wii's strength for me is the homebrew scene. It's so easy to softmod too, with the Bannerbomb method (put files on SD card, insert SD card, run it). As for actual Wii games, the only things that really appeal to me are the reboots of old IPs like NewSMB, and the upcoming Donkey Kong Country. Not sure if that says more about me, or the Wii catalogue...

Sports Resort with Motionplus is actually quite fun, although I don't see a lot of longevity in it.
Okay, that sounds like a bit of fun then. Homebrew to spice it up and a couple original games. I never like the wii sports games that much, though they are a nice extra.

Crunchwrap said:
Gruso said:
Yes that is how I feel too! Terrible if you think about it.

I don't have a problem with "kids" games if you mean cutesy looking jump'n'runs by that. I love the mario games and such. One thing that really annoys me is the standard definition only output. I recently bought a nice HD TV set and I have seen the wii on HD TVs before... it looks horrible. I have played gamecube on the TV which was terrible enough.

xnopasaranx said:
I don't have a problem with "kids" games if you mean cutesy looking jump'n'runs by that. I love the mario games and such. One thing that really annoys me is the standard definition only output. I recently bought a nice HD TV set and I have seen the wii on HD TVs before... it looks horrible. I have played gamecube on the TV which was terrible enough.
Have you seen a Wii outputting 480p? It's still not great, but the component cable makes it look pretty nice on an HD TV.

Favourite Wii games:
Okami
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Super Mario Kart
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime: Corruption
Cave Story (WiiWare)
LostWinds (WiiWare)

Yeah must admit, Wii 480p via component looks pretty good on my LCD (32" Samsung). I picked up a universal component cable that can plug into Wii, 360, PS2 and PS3. Dug out the PS2 to play GT4 last week, that looks pretty damn good too!

Yeah, the Wii definitely has a share of good games. The Motion Plus is worth the price, i don't know if it really captures your movements 1:1 but at the very least it is precise enough. Playing Red Steel 2 with it is really awesome, even though it is repetitive and the story is practically nonexistant, the swordfighting is just soo much fun! And of course the visual style and sound kick ass.
The "hacking" (e.g. getting homebrew to run) is quite confusing though. Being a Wii owner since ist release, i didn't have to bother with it that much. Thankfully, getting Homebrew to run is easier than using DVD-R "backups", so if you don't pirate games and just want to play some emus and homebrew of which there is plenty, i wouldn't worry too much. No idea how easy it is with the newest firmware though.

I just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-along blog. It was really good but damn short.

To be honest, I'm just in love with anything Joss Whedon does recently.

Just upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista. I then painfully discovered that Ext2 IFS isn't compatible. Sadface :( .
Edit: If I want to buy more ram for my computer, does the ram have to be compatible with my computer? I found some for sale that should (I think) work with my computer but it only lists HP and Compaq as compatible computers. Edit 2: nevermind, figured it out.

Anyone that thinks I wouldn't get my hair cut like Lightning from Final Fantasy xiii doesn't know me!!!

Back