The Pyra case should have this colour as an option!

I'd like white, but color matching with the keyboard will be a pain. Brushed metal insides would solve that issue, but it would instead mess up the outer edges. That being said, we could use some vinyl film to create arbitrary textures and apply them with heat (there are companies which does this). This way scratches are easy to fix (just replace the film with a hairdryer) and we could have "wooden", "rock" or even "apple" (as in the fruit, red ones look a bit like fire) Pyras. Gray would work well both underneath the vinyl and as a color on it's own.

Coming back down to earth, the good old 1980's computer beige (think of Compaq) would probably look pretty good and fits well with the whole emulation concept.
Waaayy back when we were having this very same conversation about the Pandora's styling, someone made a pile of renders of different 'themed' Pandoras.  The Atari one with RED game control buttons was great - others too.

Does anyone still have that collection of renders?

Found it - or the next best thing  - a link to a pile of links to see the case renders.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/11526-pandora-retro-concept-art/

My particular favorites are the Pantari and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy version.

Given a choice though, I'd likely just opt for a relatively plain color-where-color-needed otherwise plain dark case version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please not only vivid colours! I already think the grey/silver 1GhZ color I have is too conspicuous (tbh I also find that colour a bit tacky). I'd much rather have it matte black. Although the Commodore/Donkey Kong handheld brown beige mentioned earlier could be pretty nice too. 

Wine red (as Nintendo calls it).

nintendo-dsi-xl-oxcgn-9.jpg

Yeah, that was the reference.  I don't know how noticeable red on black would be.  It might work with a bright red, but plain black is fine, and if there is the Alien reference in the name, even better.

Because of the fact it absorbs 99.96% of light you mean?

I was reading this page

http://www.surreynanosystems.com/news/19/

Where they say:

"ability to be applied to light-weight, temperature-sensitive structures"

and:

"Vantablack is the result of applying Surrey NanoSystems’ patented low-temperature carbon nanotube growth process to the UK Technology Strategy Board’s ‘Space for Growth’ programme, working alongside the National Physical Laboratory and Enersys’ ABSL Space Products division. The manufacture of `super-black` carbon nanotube-based materials has traditionally required high temperatures, preventing their direct application to sensitive electronics or materials with relatively low melting points. This, along with poor adhesion, prevented their application to critical space and air-borne instrumentation. The two year development and test programme was completed in December 2013, during which period Surrey NanoSystems successfully transferred its low-temperature manufacturing process from silicon to aluminium structures and pyroelectric sensors. As part of the programme, qualification to European Cooperation on Space Standardisation (ECSS) standards was also achieved."

Does this not say that they've now made this material/paint which can work on sensitive electronics, like microscopes, and doesn't get too hot?

Either way, even if it is, I think this stuff would be a bit on the pricey side to apply to the Pyra just yet ... perhaps future Dragonbox devices, once the cost of this stuff comes down a bit :)

Wikipedia said:
When light strikes vantablack, instead of bouncing off, it becomes trapped and is continually deflected between the tubes before eventually becoming heat.
This may be what Silent-Hunter was referring to.

I am only interested in black or a real aluminium case. Imo it is just more 'classy' than coloured cases. Pyra will be a pricey gadget, so it shouldn't look cheap.

From the above link:

Vantablack has the highest thermal conductivity and lowest mass-volume of any material that can be used in high-emissivity applications.
I may be misunderstanding a lot here, but it seems it would not get too hot, it would be better for getting heat out of the case.  That sounds like a major plus to me.  Also, it is so dark!  

Looks really nice to me, and while it may be prohibitively expensive and unnecessary for the Pyra it makes me wonder if I will see it in use for things where light reflection can be a problem.  Edit:  Looking through the article again it seems what I had in mind may be one of the ways they plan on using it.  It is really cool, though.

Back