The PawByte Codenamed "Flyght" Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
After facepalming over the well-researched statement concerning multi-boot on Pandora... Nate, what will set the market/appstore/whatchamacallit apart from other download platforms, i.e. ours/the ones named, how will it be special?

Edit: Where's the port of Hasty Food Master for Pandora? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for my ignorance about the multi-booting. All I could recall was the Linux distribution for the OpenPandora.

Also, Hasty Food Master will be finished and ported once Fields of Fresh is done, Lord willing.

Also still working on the application store.

The only thing that will set it apart is the pricing and content.

We pan to do our best to get more exclusives, reasonable pricing and easy price changing abilities in the store.

This is going to sound pretty negative and I almost feel bad saying it, but feel like I should anyway. Sorry :/

The only thing that will set it apart is the pricing and content.

We pan to do our best to get more exclusives, reasonable pricing and easy price changing abilities in the store.
I assume when you say set it apart you mean the console and not the app store. If it's the latter only then this message won't work quite right..

Competing on price is impossible. Even if you sold at close to zero margin. The OEM PC market is fairly competitive and low margin as it is. They will have volume, resources, and experience that you won't. That'll give them access to lower wholesale prices for components, exclusive deals that let them save further, and the ability to do more cost efficient custom parts (even OEMs can do cases, cooling, and sometimes even motherboards). They'll also be able to amortize their non-recurring costs like R&D over a bigger volume. Just making a unique controller could cost tens of thousands at a minimum.

It also doesn't make any sense for anyone to make games exclusively for this. There's just no reason you'd restrict your market potential so much. Even if it stood out heavily among a much smaller app store the userbase would be too low to make it worthwhile. Really exclusives are happening quite infrequently these days, except when a console maker spends a lot of money to procure one or if you're Nintendo. The only reason it works for Nintendo is because their consoles offer other unique features that they leverage, and they make enough profit on hardware that it's worth forming that ecosystem even at the expense of some game sales. Even then they're showing signs of struggling with Wii U.

Trust me, you're better off not tying any content to this hardware exclusively.

What happened with this, did it launch yesterday?

They did have an event in University of Illinois (I doubt you could accurately call it a launch). There was a livestream broadcast but I didn't see it and I don't think it was recorded, so I have no idea what they actually showed..

I was watching the live stream but it was in and out. In the end they still didn't have concrete specs from what I got. I heard 8gb ram and 32 gb storage...and that they were gonna do a bunch of follow up videos.

All seems a bit of a damp squib.

Having had a look at the website though it doesn't seem too professional, Jane said it looks like a school kid designed it.

Pity as the specs given in post number 1 looked good (if a bit unbelievable for a hand-held)

Time will tell I suppose if anything comes of it.

Just reading through some of the links that are in post #1 and found the following comment: No kidding. I was quite surprised to get to the end of the thread on openpandora without it having come to light that this is the Envizions team again.

On http://obscurehandhelds.wordpress.com

Can anyone shed light on what the comment means?

I don't know if obscurehandhelds literally thinks that this is being done by the OTON people but it isn't. No relation whatsoever. I wonder if he didn't just mean that it seemed similar.

Hello guys,

Sorry for such a late reply.

1) We have no affiliations with OTON or Envisions.

2) We are currently at work at editing videos to show you all, they should be available by the end of March. Videos should show things like potential games, specs, drafts, team members, etc.

3)When I said about competing on price, I did not mean a race to the bottom, I meant a race to what is reasonable.

4)Do you not lke the design for the nextgen pawbyte site too, or just the main one?

Do you have a list of the specs?.

How about a pic of the console as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back