The Pandora Port Request Thread

Don't know is this has already been requested ,i have never used this app but it sounds like it would do our video/audio chat like skype and the Pandora really needs an app with at least audio voice chat.

http://ekiga.org/

in advance ,if this can't be done does anyone have any ideas on an app that the Pandora WILL be able to do for voice chat ? we really need it.

Summoning Wars

A free Diablo-like RPG.
http://www.sumwars.org/

Uses Ogre.

SoleGrave said:
What about Outcast? Is it even possible at playable speed?
The game? Obviously the source code is not available and it's highly unlikely that we ever get it because the development studio doesn't exist anymore. Could the Voxel engine run fast enough on the Pandora's CPU if we did have the source code? No idea. It's a different CPU architecture and my intuition says that this would probably be a huge problem with this game. I could be totally wrong, though. Doesn't matter because nobody will be able to convince Atari to release the source code and even if they could be convinced, it might not even exist anymore...
One thing is for certain, emulating Outcast through Dosbox won't work. :p
If anybody is looking for an insane project, try coding an Open Source engine for Outcast from scratch by disassembling the game. Hey, it worked for Transport Tycoon! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
DeadBeef (music player)
Viewnior (image viewer)
Pidgin light or some more options for IM'ing (pidgin crashes now and then)
Chromium!
Torrent application (Transmission?)

GizmoTheGreen said:
Chromium!
Torrent application (Transmission?)
Chromium and rtorrent are in the repositories. http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/ (armv7a is what the pandora runs)

OrR said:
SoleGrave said:
What about Outcast? Is it even possible at playable speed?
The game? Obviously the source code is not available and it's highly unlikely that we ever get it because the development studio doesn't exist anymore. Could the Voxel engine run fast enough on the Pandora's CPU if we did have the source code? No idea. It's a different CPU architecture and my intuition says that this would probably be a huge problem with this game. I could be totally wrong, though. Doesn't matter because nobody will be able to convince Atari to release the source code and even if they could be convinced, it might not even exist anymore...
One thing is for certain, emulating Outcast through Dosbox won't work. :p
If anybody is looking for an insane project, try coding an Open Source engine for Outcast from scratch by disassembling the game. Hey, it worked for Transport Tycoon! :D

Actually, there is (was?) an open-source reimplementation of OutCast:

http://www.openoutcast.org/wp/

Apparently, they gave up open-source and decided to use the Crysis Wars engine. But before that it was an actual voxel based open-source game, and maybe the source are still available somewhere (don't know how legal it would be to use them, though... it depends on the licence).

I am pretty sure that sytem requirements were reasonnable in this previous version. And OutCast could run on PCs which were less powerfull than a Pandora (but I guess it included huge optimizations).

I have myself written a small voxel engine for the gp2x (never released, lost the source :-( ), and I can tell you that a basic voxel engine is really not a problem (in terms of performance) on current machines (assuming that gp2x is a current machine :) ). However, the relevance of using voxel on a machine which does include 3D hardware is not obvious (voxel does not use 3D hardware at all).

hal9000 said:
(…) However, the relevance of using voxel on a machine which does include 3D hardware is not obvious (voxel does not use 3D hardware at all).
Voxels are VOLumetric piXELS, they're little cubes that are used as bricks to build 3D models of maps and even of characters (3D dot game heroes).
I don't understand why you're saying that 3D hardware isn't used, it depends of the implementation that the developer used to make his 3D engine.
Really old games that where based on voxels may have not used 3D hardware, but it was because 3D hardware was pretty expensive and rare.
ps3-3d-dot-game-heroes-1252867832-6.jpg

Voxels don't have to be cubes. Outcast had a very beautiful smooth way of rendering them that made for a very organic look that was revolutionary at the time of it's release:
OC640.jpg

hal9000 said:
Actually, there is (was?) an open-source reimplementation of OutCast:

http://www.openoutcast.org/wp/

Apparently, they gave up open-source and decided to use the Crysis Wars engine. But before that it was an actual voxel based open-source game, and maybe the source are still available somewhere (don't know how legal it would be to use them, though... it depends on the licence).
Open Outcast used the Crystal Space engine before, and I think before that it was once a Gothic mod... They never got far in those versions afaik. It never used a Voxel engine, though, and it didn't try to reimplement the old game but was always a sequel project. Outcast is my favourite game of all time so I'm very happy that they actually managed to release a demo with a little content recently. I have pretty much given up hope that I'll be able to run Outcast on a handheld in the next 5 to 10 years, though...

How about aliens vs predator?

The source code has been out for ages, i believe there is a Linux version floating about too : http://icculus.org/avp/

could this possibly be ported? http://kotaku.com/5562253/update-brings-authentic-attacks-and-more-to-super-mario-crossover

Increase fluid intelligence and working memory.

Brain Workshop - a Dual N-Back game

Brain Workshop is a free open-source version of the Dual N-Back mental exercise.

What if a simple mental exercise could improve your memory and intelligence?

A recent study published in PNAS, an important scientific journal, shows that a particular memory task called Dual N-Back may actually improve working memory (short term memory) and fluid intelligence. This finding is important because fluid intelligence was previously thought to be unchangeable. The game involves remembering a sequence of spoken letters and a sequence of positions of a square at the same time.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the dual n-back task also enhances focus and attention and may help improve the symptoms of ADHD/ADD.

In addition to its ability to closely replicate the conditions of the original study by Jaeggi et al. (2008), Brain Workshop includes optional extended game modes such as Triple N-Back and Arithmetic N-Back. It also includes features such as statistics tracking, graphs and easy configurability.
session.png

OrR said:
Nope. It's Flash based so it might run once we aquire Flash support some way (maybe by borrowing the Flash plugin for the N900).

There are ARM-based builds of Flash player around, so I hope it does come to the Panda. Older Flash games like Total Distortion would be awesome on the go.

How about ChessDB (updated SCID version) or SCID?

I know there are tcl libraries needed, but maybe it can be ported. I would really like it. A good chess database would be nice.

transmtion torrent client ,rocks ---
a nice big anolog clock would set my pandora desktop on fire ,i used a few on ubuntu and they were great but i can't remember the names.
Rocketdock ,i think is the name of the linux/ubuntu dock not sure but i also used this all the time and would love it to take the place of the tired taskbar.

Cairo-Clock
Rocketdock
Transmission
KB3 Disc burner

Back