The Pandora can not run Windows (or WINE)

Sorry but Windows 7 has never been an alternative for Pandora, look at its memory requirements; this a completely different story :)

It's kind of funny really, x86 is probably the worst possible platform to use for a netbook - seems that manufacturers are at the mercy of the general ignorance that makes people expect x86 compatibility just because it looks like a laptop. Oddly enough the same problem the P&|A has, but we are smart enough to ignore it ;)

Can we get a mod to lock this thread? I really don't think there's anything more that could be added here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some folks here need to take a chill pill (and swallow it whole). This thread is going to attract people who want Windows to work, so if you get angry about that, don't read it. Kind of like the Stupid Questions pinned thread we had a while ago.

Any Linux application that has been or can be (due to the source code being available) compiled for ARM will work. So, the latter, I suppose. :p

(There is closed-source software for Linux, too, and that's the same sort of no-go as a closed-source application for anything else. :p)

Do all Linux programs run on ARM or only when specifically provided by the developers?
It depends - no compiled linux x86 binaries run on ARM natively, but...
If the linux program is closed-source (they exist, but on linux are rare), then it can only be ported by it's developers, if they are interested.
If the linux program is open source (most), it can be ported by anyone with the technical skills and will to do so - it doesnt need to be the original developers, the difficulty level of this depends a lot on the application. A lot of linux software has already been ported to ARM - see http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/ .

closed source linux apps are not that rare. They just tend to get shunned by the community

Closed source Linux might not be that rare, but closed source Linux only, as opposed to something released for Windows too, probably is. Except for device drivers.

There's this one Linux game called "Gee Geekers" that's closed source because it costs $15 for the complete version. It completely boggled my mind why anyone would sell a game and make it Linux only when for a small amount of additional effort they could do a Windows version and not constrict their potential audience by several times.

how about reactos? ;D
There is a small amount of work being done on an ARM port of ReactOS, nice thing about this is that open-source windows apps could simply be recompiled for it (In theory) and it would work.

This is a really *really* long way off though. As far as I know it's just 1 guy working on it at this moment. Perhaps that will change though?

I'll just be glad to actually get my hands on a P&|a for the time being!

Just to add some fun into the mix...

Samsung's Omnia runs a OMAP3430 core (like the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre) with Windows Mobile 6.1

Since the core is very simliar to the Pandora's OMAP3530 (3430 doesn't have DSP I believe), there is a much greater possibility of hacking some drivers together to support Pandora's hardware. While I personally wouldn't run this anyway, someone interested in this might be able to find a copy of the OS and figure out how to get this to work. Plus it appears that there may be some programs that will be developed for it.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about the Samsung Omnia HD / i8910

I (and I'm sure 90% of the people that have comment here) realize that, however it appears that there might be a WinMo capable OS (might not be optimized) that with a couple of drivers can be made to work on the Pandora (maybe). The software for it will be limited for sure when compared to linux offering, but for some this might be important. Cheers!

. The software for it will be limited for sure when compared to linux offering, but for some this might be important. Cheers!
It would not be able to run the Windows games that the average consumer, the person for whom this thread was started, expects a "Windows" system to run. Whether it runs WinMO or not has about as much bearing on the intent of the discussion as whether it can run Android or Palm OS. I just want it on record for said average person who comes along and reads "Windows Mobile can run" and thinks that means we can run Crysis.

hum, guess lot of people didn't understood, that "windows mobile" is just a rebranded windows CE (well until windows mobile 7 that should get out in 2010...) visibly microsoft don't like the bad image windows CE is getting as a bad limited smartphone OS...

that with a couple of drivers can be made to work on the Pandora (maybe"]. The software for it will be limited for sure when compared to linux offering, but for some this might be important. Cheers!
It would not be able to run the Windows games that the average consumer, the person for whom this thread was started, expects a "Windows" system to run. Whether it runs WinMO or not has about as much bearing on the intent of the discussion as whether it can run Android or Palm OS. I just want it on record for said average person who comes along and reads "Windows Mobile can run" and thinks that means we can run Crysis.[/quote]I guess I disagree that people are "idiots" like you are implying. I agree that when people hear "Windows" they think (even though they may not know it) of running x86 compatible software, however I also believe that the majority of people in this audience are knowledgeable enough to know the difference. So a couple of people register a new account and their first post is "Can the panda runz w1nd0zE???!?!", that shouldn't change your outlook of the community. This entire thread could have been summed up in a fairly simple diagram and instead has turned into a slam-fest of "You're an idiot, because of...."™ Maybe it would be easier for us to just start from scratch and put a x86-compatible CPU in the pandora that way we don't have to actually explain anything to people and the "idiots" can just stay that way.

I guess I disagree that people are "idiots" like you are implying.
No one said that, least of all me.
I agree that when people hear "Windows" they think (even though they may not know it) of running x86 compatible software, however I also believe that the majority of people in this audience are knowledgeable enough to know the difference.
Then we are 100% in agreement so far.
So a couple of people register a new account and their first post is "Can the panda runz w1nd0zE???!?!", that shouldn't change your outlook of the community.
It doesn't. This thread was started in response to the many posts that had already been made basically saying exactly that: Can the Pandora run Windows? Of course, what they really meant, and what this thread had tried to answer up until your delving into Windows Mobile, was "Can the Pandora run Windows based x86 software?" Whether it can or cannot run Windows Mobile is a totally moot point to that question.
No one at any point in this thread called anyone an idiot; we are (or at least I am) just trying to keep the potential for misinformation down to an absolute minimum.

I (and I'm sure 90% of the people that have comment here) realize that, however it appears that there might be a WinMo capable OS (might not be optimized) that with a couple of drivers can be made to work on the Pandora (maybe). The software for it will be limited for sure when compared to linux offering, but for some this might be important. Cheers!
I don't see how any of this could be made available. If someone gets it running, they can't upload it anywhere as Microsoft will surely send take down orders, c&ds, etc almost instantly. Taking the OS from elsewhere and replacing/adding a few drivers will likely result in the same outcome.

Back