The Pandora can not run Windows (or WINE)

QUOTE (Pietro)
Hi, I've just published a translated (italian) version of this question/answers on progettopandora.it, you can see it here
http://www.progettopandora.it/pagina/pando...-possibile.html

I've put your nickname at the bottom

I think you apreciate that...

Indeed :)

I love the Windows logo broken by the Pandora logo :D

QUOTE (Esn)
Basically good. But I think that the thing about Qemu should be added to the first post.

Until it is confirmed actually working and usable, I disagree. As Chip mentioned, the post is written in the present tense. It's not about what might happen in the future, but what is known to work (or not work) right now.

Chip posted on May 19 2009 at 06:31 AM said:
Made thread title a bit more definite and to-the-point. Before anybody brings up the possibility of Windows CE or Windows Mobile or any other version, let me point out that the title is phrased in the present tense, and presently it is accurate. If an existing or future version of Windows ends up on the platform, then the title can be changed again. Until then, it's an unqualified "No".
I'd change it to "Windows cannot run on the Pandora" instead of "The Pandora Does Not Run Windows."

The original EeePC "does not" run Windows as it has Linux pre-installed, but you can get XP on it without problem.

The Pandora however cannot be made to (natively) run Windows (Or rather, Windows cannot be made to run on the Pandora) through any means.

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx posted on May 19 2009 at 12:05 PM said:
HOLY SHIT ANOTHER LINK BUG.
Calm down, there's no link bug.

That happened because I copied and pasted the text instead of using the quote button.

PhonicUK posted on May 19 2009 at 11:50 AM said:
The original EeePC "does not" run Windows as it has Linux pre-installed, but you can get XP on it without problem.
Agreed. I have an Acer Notebook that does not run Windows, as it runs Linux, but you can easily run Windows on it.
Changed topic title again. I wish Chip would get more involved with the community rather than just changing stuff. This board is supposed to be run for the community with the help of the community.

Chances of anyone reading this post before asking...
oh, shit, sorry, can't divide with 0

But at least we can paste the link and close the relevent topic(s), so they may ask further questions if they want to. Better than a wiki or similar link.

Squidge posted on May 19 2009 at 05:28 PM) But at least we can paste the link and close the relevent topic(s said:
, so they may ask further questions if they want to. Better than a wiki or similar link.
Alright, i see how that can be useful. Undoubtedly, getting closer to release, the 'uninitiated' or whatever you want to call less tech-friendly people will be coming out of the wordwork

PhonicUK posted on May 19 2009 at 11:50 AM) [quote="Chip posted on May 19 2009 at 06:31 AM said:
Made thread title a bit more definite and to-the-point. Before anybody brings up the possibility of Windows CE or Windows Mobile or any other version, let me point out that the title is phrased in the present tense, and presently it is accurate. If an existing or future version of Windows ends up on the platform, then the title can be changed again. Until then, it's an unqualified "No".
I'd change it to "Windows cannot run on the Pandora" instead of "The Pandora Does Not Run Windows."

The Pandora however cannot be made to (natively) run Windows (Or rather, Windows cannot be made to run on the Pandora"] through any means.[/quote]Windows could be made to run on the Pandora natively, it's just that we don't have the source code of windows. Windows NT is written to be portable and used to be avail for Dec Alpha and Power PC. Windows 2k, XP and Vista are all really Windows NT.

The Pandora can't run Windows, but then again neither can a supercomputer.

PoisonedV posted on May 19 2009 at 06:30 PM said:
Alright, i see how that can be useful. Undoubtedly, getting closer to release, the 'uninitiated' or whatever you want to call less tech-friendly people will be coming out of the wordwork
You must be new here. That already happened a while ago, when the first news posts were put up on Gizmondo and Engadget.

javaJake posted on May 19 2009 at 08:56 PM said:
You must be new here. That already happened a while ago, when the first news posts were put up on Gizmondo and Engadget.
Oh yeah, I forgot, Gizmodo and Engadget are just totally read by your average PSP fanboy/mom looking for a gift for her kids/whoever. no, i think once it gets released it will be less turning on a faucet and more opening the floodgates

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 03:30 AM said:
javaJake posted on May 19 2009 at 08:56 PM said:
Oh yeah, I forgot, Gizmodo and Engadget are just totally read by your average PSP fanboy/mom looking for a gift for her kids/whoever. no, i think once it gets released it will be less turning on a faucet and more opening the floodgates
You mean... releasing this thing will be like... opening Pandora's box? ;)

Laurent posted on May 20 2009 at 04:00 PM said:
christo930 posted on May 20 2009 at 01:12 AM said:
then again neither can a supercomputer.
That's very wrong. Windows can run on Itanium.
christo930 posted on a parallel universe said:
then again neither can a supercomputer very well.
It's common information that Linux is the dominant OS on the supercomputer market.
And Linux covers about every processor architecture out there, while Windows most certainly does not.

Just mentioning it if there ever was any doubt :p

dflemstr posted on May 20 2009 at 06:07 PM said:
It's common information that Linux is the dominant OS on the supercomputer market.
And Linux covers about every processor architecture out there, while Windows most certainly does not.

Nah there's no doubt Linux is better :) But do you know there are machines on the Top500 supercomputer list that run Windows?
For instance: http://www.top500.org/system/9787. It is ranked 10, not bad.

Just to make it clear, I dislike Windows, but some people are doing wrong claims ;)

Laurent posted on May 20 2009 at 12:34 PM said:
dflemstr posted on May 20 2009 at 06:07 PM said:
Nah there's no doubt Linux is better :) But do you know there are machines on the Top500 supercomputer list that run Windows?
For instance: http://www.top500.org/system/9787. It is ranked 10, not bad.

Just to make it clear, I dislike Windows, but some people are doing wrong claims ;)

Your assumption that supercomputer==Itaniums is what makes that statement wrong. I didn't see any reference that says a 'supercomputer' has any set processor.

viridior posted on May 20 2009 at 11:53 PM said:
Your assumption that supercomputer==Itaniums is what makes that statement wrong. I didn't see any reference that says a 'supercomputer' has any set processor.
Hu? Where did I say that? I only pointed out that Windows is running on Itanium, most of which are classified as supercomputers. I never wrote Itanium = supercomputer, and I would certainly never write such a stupid statement, I never trusted in Itanium since the first silicon went out.

So let's summarize:

Statement 1: The Pandora can't run Windows, but then again neither can a supercomputer.
Statement 2: That's very wrong. Windows can run on Itanium.

Where do you read supercomputer = Itanium?

Furthermore, most high end supercomputers aren't running Windows OR Linux. If you're going to spend millions of dollars on a cluster it sometimes makes sense to spend a lot of money on an OS well tuned for what you're going to be using it for. And most are running x86 at least partially if not entirely and are thus obviously capable of running Windows.

Back