The Pandora can not run Windows (or WINE)

PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 12:12 AM said:
Not in the pinned information topic, guys... :huh:
What should be here, discussion about a simple statement? Who cares if it's pinned.. people can read the first post and be on their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
CC_machine posted on May 21 2009 at 06:07 PM said:
PLEASE add Wine to the headline.
This'd save a lot of people's time

:)

Well that'd make it wrong, since the title would become "The Pandora can not run Wine." which is true at very first sight, but not if one considers for instance that some work was done to make wine run on PowerPC using QEMU on Mac/PPC with darwine.
The project seems dead now, but technically it's doable to use wine on non x86 processors.

Apparently Windows NT only supports a maxium of 30 CPUs. That might sounds like a lot, but in supercomputer terms I don't think it is.

ashdjones posted on May 23 2009 at 07:16 PM said:
Apparently Windows NT only supports a maxium of 30 CPUs. That might sounds like a lot, but in supercomputer terms I don't think it is.
Well most supercomputers are clusters so that's not a real limitation. For instance this machine http://www.top500.org/system/performance/9787 has 30720 cores.
Also there was a time not so long ago when Linux was very poor at multi CPUs machine, and that's why many such machines were using dedicated UNIX variants.
Now that HPC ~= clusters, things changed a lot and are more boring :)

hum, you maybe want to detail the windows CE part a bit more, emphasing that:
- windows CE != windows XP/2k/nt or anything else...
- windows CE binaries would also need a recompile to run on the pandora.
- building a windows CE would be a lot of work for almost no gain (sorry, no CS for you...).

before people start to tells you that windows CE could be built for a pandora because it run on their arm phone/device...

Just wondering... what about Steam? I need it only as a messenger service (I have some friends there that won't move to anything else).
Requirements are:
* Windows 2000, XP or Vista
* 64 MB RAM
* 400 Mhz processor

But I really dream about the messaging part running properly on QEmu+WINE... I don't mind if it will be slow to load I really just need to send a few words (Thanks god no emoticons on steam!!!) :)

I also googled a bit but steam chat support is non-existing apart from steam on wine. (EG: no plugins for any known IM)

no, steam won't run.

what the fuck is wrong with just a simple

NO, DUDE

for the new users

and here's to all you others:

vista won't run, xp won't run, 2k won't run, me won't run, 98 won't run, 95 will not, neither will nt4.
windows 3 sucks.

and what's up about all this qemu+wine combination stuff?
HELL NO, FAQS
wine is meant to run on an x86, BUT NOT STANDALONE, it needs a host OS like Linux, so you would need to run QEmu + Linux and wine on top of THAT
if at all, you would run something else inside of qemu, but NOT wine
and if anybody is thinking about combining qemu and wine to have a standalone windows emulator, i repeat HELL NO
qemu and wine are insanely huge projects, so combining them in any useful way would require loads of time and work and you could STILL not run anything at all

Windows CE would, in fact, run quite smoothly on the pandora (it did on my gp32), but there wouldn't be any public releases, no games, no apps (meaning it's UNUSABLE)

so let me recap:
Major Windows Games (CounterStrike, Warcraft3, WoW, etc) - NO, NEVER
Small Windows Games - NO NOT EVEN THOSE
most Dos Games - Probably
Windows CE - UNUSABLE

get real, it's a handheld console, not a PC

and what's up about all this qemu+wine combination stuff?
HELL NO, FAQS
wine is meant to run on an x86, BUT NOT STANDALONE, it needs a host OS like Linux, so you would need to run QEmu + Linux and wine on top of THAT
Not true - you don't need to run QEmu -> Linux -> WINE, you can use QEmu-User -> Wine

From the QEmu Website: http://www.nongnu.org/qemu/status.html
User emulation means emulation of user code in order to launch Linux processes.
System emulation means full CPU emulation in order to launch an Operating System.

The user mode emulation would let you run Linux binaries from one platform on another without having an entire separate virtual machine running Linux. So you could run x86 WINE (Or any other x86-Linux application) inside QEmu (Without an x86-Linux in QEmu) on your ARM-Linux

The problem is that QEmu for ARM hosts doesn't work properly at the moment so it's not going to happen in the immediate future.

It's much much more correct to just accept that it is NOT FEASIBLE, i.e. what the_Diabologic said. All these hypothetical ways of doing it is just fantasy and wasted time. Enough already.

It's much much more correct to just accept that it is NOT FEASIBLE, i.e. what the_Diabologic said. All these hypothetical ways of doing it is just fantasy and wasted time. Enough already.
Pretty much what everyone (including myself) has been saying. Indeed as far as need be concerned it's not going to work.

Darwine is mentioned a lot as it uses the same technique (WINE on QEmu-User) but they've yet to actually run an x86 executable xD

The problem is that some people say that's it's not feasible, but give the wrong reason why.
So basically, we should only give the answer with no explanation? So we want people to be uneducated monkeys? Nice!

kattle87 posted on May 30 2009 at 03:14 PM) Just wondering... what about Steam? I need it only as a messenger service (I have some friends there that won't move to anything else said:
Requirements are:
* Windows 2000, XP or Vista
* 64 MB RAM
* 400 Mhz processor
But I really dream about the messaging part running properly on QEmu+WINE... I don't mind if it will be slow to load I really just need to send a few words (Thanks god no emoticons on steam!!!) :)

I also googled a bit but steam chat support is non-existing apart from steam on wine. (EG: no plugins for any known IM)

http://imfreedom.org/wiki/Steam_Friends

Some things are already documented. I have cracked the teamspeak protocol before and I guess I will give this a try during the summer holidays (If I don't have too many other things on my hands)
Personally I can't see how it can be so hard to figure out how the packets are compressed.
Until this information is available your best bet is that Valve either documents the protocol or someone else does.

The problem is that some people say that's it's not feasible, but give the wrong reason why.
So basically, we should only give the answer with no explanation? So we want people to be uneducated monkeys? Nice!
They already ARE uneducated monkeys, and most of the monkeys are unwilling to be educated. A simple yes or no is about the extent of knowledge such monkeys care about. If they are interested in learning more, there's already enough information elsewhere they can look up. This thread should have been just a straight answer, either a "no, you can't, don't even try" or a "yes, but not in any useful way".

- NO, NEVER
Small Windows Games - NO NOT EVEN THOSE
most Dos Games - Probably
Windows CE - UNUSABLE
You forgot 2 things: to tell me about very "bare-to-the-bone" windows IM programs, NOT GAMES, and to explain the world why you are such a d*****bag.
And I was speaking about Qemu-user + wine, not Quemu + linux + wine.

@JayFoxRox, thank you so much for that link! I could not find it, and if you were to get into it, I really hope you the best luck since for some linux users this would be just GREAT. ^^

I hope someone does user mode + HLE that blows everyone's expectations out of the water just to prove lots of people wrong.

I hope someone does user mode + HLE that blows everyone's expectations out of the water just to prove lots of people wrong.
Could you have a try at getting something like this working? Pleeeeeaase? :wub: I'd be blown away if you could get even anywhere near a 90MHz Pentium with QEMU+Wine.

Back