The One Nub Club

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
OMG ... it arrived .... it is better than I ever ever ever ever imagined.

right nub is the weird one.

Right 1 callibration later and 20 seconds of air ... and ...

I gotta leave the club :D both nubs working, seemingly, PERFECT!

Ill post some pics and videos later,

but after like 15-20 minutes of owning it, it is 1000000 percent better than I expected
* The screen tilts and stays whereever I want it
* the stylus fits securely
* Buttons are all responsive and "good feel" - Shoulders are SPOT ON
* ABXY a touch springy, but this is not a bad thing they will wear in nicely
* Nub navigation (left nub direction / right nub clicking) is just so innovative its brilliant
* Touch screen is SO BRILIANT and responsive.

So yep a happy happy bunny

One last comment, one of the negs left by other people is that when your case is closed the left side is lightly higher (ie tiny gap) . Come on ... its like .5mm, I would NEVER have noticed it unless told about it

Man Im gonna be SO anti social today

To all the Openpandora team - THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they're really nailing the quality control now, shoulder buttons and all. :) I do wish a bit more time was put into these supposedly borked nubs though... please understand that I don't begrudge anyone who has taken the risk and come up smiling - I like seeing these happy posts - but it seems like there's a whole lot of queue advantage being given for seemingly no reason.

Do I take the risk myself, or do I wait for a confirmed good one - and hope I don't become an honorary member of the one nub club anyway? Gah. For the first time I'm wanting to know exactly where I am in the queue, so I can weigh up my options.

well, my left nub appears to be the bad one.
its a bit jittery and unconsistent speeds.
its still not "revived", so i wouldnt give a pandoa like this to regular customers.
it might fix, it might not. thats the issue.

Just got mine and I am sad to report....

THAT MY ACE IS A DEUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to air and recalibration.

I am out of the club and into the stratosphere!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I have to go mow my lawn, so I can't play with it until tonight, but I have it charging anyway. :angry:

But it will be charged when I am ready! B)

MDave, I suspect it would've happened anyway. My non-one-nub-club unit did that, and I was just using it for mousing. :(

Sounds like these nubs are a real problem so far, perhaps worse than the original wifi issue?

Prometheus said:
MDave, I suspect it would've happened anyway. My non-one-nub-club unit did that, and I was just using it for mousing. :(

Yeah, I posted in that thread you made about that problem. They seem to be a bit fragile, I hope OPT look into this soon before they order too many boards with them! The springs need to be stronger, this will not only make it last, but also help center the nub more. Also, they need to stop the disk part of the nubs from being able to spin, because if you move the nub around in a circle for example, and your thumb isn't quite pressing on the center part of the disk, then it can swivel around causing mis-directions.

Gruso said:
please understand that I don't begrudge anyone who has taken the risk and come up smiling - I like seeing these happy posts - but it seems like there's a whole lot of queue advantage being given for seemingly no reason.

I agree 100% completely, though a bit more begrudgingly. It made sense in the beginning but it seems now like most people get these working in ~2 minutes. Please look them over more before calling them "broken"

My one nub Pandora arrived on friday. At first I couldn't tell which nub was supposed to be broken, but after loading up Quake 2 it became pretty obvious. My right nub has a tendency to want to go right (in the game, not the nub itself). Any amount of movement away from centre and I'll start looking to the right. Only when I'm probably 1/2 way towards completely left on the nub do I start looking left. When I move the nub straight up, I'll be looking up and to the right a bit. Same thing happens with down. Outside of Quake though, I can still use the nub for mouse buttons, it just brings up the right click menu more often than I'd like.

I've tried blasting air into it, and did the calibration thing during the boot up a few times now without much success. I'm not too worried about it though, aside from using it for the mouse buttons I don't plan on using it much.

Gruso said:
Sounds like they're really nailing the quality control now, shoulder buttons and all. :) I do wish a bit more time was put into these supposedly borked nubs though... please understand that I don't begrudge anyone who has taken the risk and come up smiling - I like seeing these happy posts - but it seems like there's a whole lot of queue advantage being given for seemingly no reason.

Do I take the risk myself, or do I wait for a confirmed good one - and hope I don't become an honorary member of the one nub club anyway? Gah. For the first time I'm wanting to know exactly where I am in the queue, so I can weigh up my options.

Gruso

I hear what you are saying ... Its exactly what was going through my mind when i decided to jump. If you look at my reason posted earlier on you will see nubs werent high up on my list to have working. So my advice is if you want perfect nubs DONT take the risk. but if you dont mind like me TAKE THE RISK

But in fairness to OP - we cant demand stringent QA and then ask them to ship what they consider slightly dodgy controls - Obviously the QA is so high that it now leads to occassional good units seemingly failing (which i think is exactly the position (QA being high) we all demanded? not so?)

tds48

Just now while I read here and phantasize a bit about those nubs, I had an idea. I try to imagine how it looks inside. A spiral spring with the movable nub in the middle and the outer ring in the nub case. What could happen if the nubs are soldered inside an oven instead by hand? The spring could heat up and melt into the nub case a little bit. The consequences could be that the spiral gets stuck and breaks under the stress after a while, because it can't use the whole length anymore. Or it gets unstuck and causes this roughness some are experiencing.

Damn, someone open one up, now! I'm a hardware guy and this makes me nuts. I would have already torn it apart on the second day :p

I have just sent my email to Jacquelyn, asking to join the one nub club, :) hopefully if there are any left i will get one that is fix able :)

peca said:
I must buy one spare to look inside. Mali is right :)

Agreed, Mali is right. But first, couldn't we just ask someone who knows? I mean, since OPT had something to do with the nub design, couldn't they give us a basic idea of what the nubs are like internally?

Of course, eventually someone will take one apart. I just know it's only a matter of time. Knowing more about the nubs beforehand could save a lot of time though.

mojo_ninja said:
peca said:
I must buy one spare to look inside. Mali is right :)

Agreed, Mali is right. But first, couldn't we just ask someone who knows? I mean, since OPT had something to do with the nub design, couldn't they give us a basic idea of what the nubs are like internally?

Of course, eventually someone will take one apart. I just know it's only a matter of time. Knowing more about the nubs beforehand could save a lot of time though.
Yeah would be interesting to know.I have a one nubber on its way to me.

It feels like a spring has come loose or something. Sometimes I feel resistance, and it might center itself a bit, other times its completely loose. I guess I will keep moving the nub around in hope that the spring will get back into place, but it's probably popped out of whatever is holding it, so I don't think it will go back in itself.

It might just be fixable ... but I don't think it will be an easy job.

Mine's more-or-less the same (again, not one-nub-club, though). It's being sent back tomorrow (next-day delivery), so hopefully when they get it on Tuesday they should be able to take a look at one and figure out what's up. :p

Wow .. you won't believe this but I think I fixed it :blink: It's centering itself now! I just kept pushing it down slightly, moving it around in circles, lifting the nub a bit with my finger nails too while circling it.

But I noticed its a bit stiffer then my right nub, and it doesn't seem to move the mouse cursor properly yet, but its an improvement! Guess the spring is sorta in .. just got to try moving it around :lol: got nothing to lose!

Back