The One Nub Club

Yay, I finally got my Pandora!

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble... both nubs seem a bit wonky, although I'm pretty sure it's the right one that's "broke". But for whatever reason I can't find the calibration thing that everyone keeps mentioning. I've shut the Pandora down and turned it on twice, but haven't gotten a calibration screen and can't seem to find one within the OS (although I should add I've only had it for a whopping 17 minutes so far :p).

Also, I think I got the wrong power adapter, or are all the power adapters european (two round prongs)? I didn't realize I might have to get an adapter for the adapter. Thankfully it has about 46% charge left at the moment, but that could be annoying.

I think you ought to read this thread again, at least back a few pages. There is no calibration screen. You just have to move them around until they get used to their ranges, and make sure the nub is spot on centered when powering on the unit.

MDave said:
I think you ought to read this thread again, at least back a few pages. There is no calibration screen. You just have to move them around until they get used to their ranges, and make sure the nub is spot on centered when powering on the unit.

Ahh, apologies. Somehow I missed the specific post that described this and was getting my wires crossed with some of the talk of how the Sony PSP calibration works. Figures that would happen, it's been one of those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Locri Epizephyrii said:
MDave said:

Ahh, apologies. Somehow I missed the specific post that described this and was getting my wires crossed with some of the talk of how the Sony PSP calibration works. Figures that would happen, it's been one of those days.
I thought that for ages looked about for the calibration tool until someone mentioned the nub dance

Claude said:
After being disappointed how the nubs behave in Q3NanoGL ,I have decided to rip them apart and take a look if I can fix them.
So after disassembling and cleaning the nubs it works way better than before :D

Here are the pics of my nub surgery (Uhh offending Pandora nude pics with nubs!!)
NUBS!!

I used some SMD shim blade (Edsyn RB641) to remove the nubs, afterwards I disassembled and cleaned the nubs with alcohol.
In one nub there was some dirt , in the other was a tiny piece of metal (like a cut pin from an electronic component).

where can shim blades be found? online shop? :p

kjohn said:
can someone do a video tutorial on how they fixed their nubs
Not a bad idea.I doubt id manage without breaking something though. ;)

I received my "one nub" Pandora today (110 days after ordering) with two perfectly functioning nubs. And as for the d-pad, superb, I found it easier to pull of dragon punches on the Pandora than on my Genesis. Still have a few things I'm having trouble with, but this is the wrong thread for that and the nubs are perfect.

SirisC said:
I received my "one nub" Pandora today (110 days after ordering) with two perfectly functioning nubs. And as for the d-pad, superb, I found it easier to pull of dragon punches on the Pandora than on my Genesis. Still have a few things I'm having trouble with, but this is the wrong thread for that and the nubs are perfect.

I recieved my "one nub" Pandora yesterday, and all i needed to do was reset the right nub and it now works perfectly. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

tony11@hotmail.com said:
SirisC said:

I recieved my "one nub" Pandora yesterday, and all i needed to do was reset the right nub and it now works perfectly. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Im curious what do you mean by reset? Thanks in advance

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
torpor said:
Are you guys doing the 'magic calibration' dance every time you reboot your Pandora? I've found this really does make a difference:

1. Power down your Pandora, to OFF state.
2. Center the nubs, physically, as best you can.
3. Turn it on.
4. While it is booting through the splash screen, press up, return to center, then down, return to center, left, return to center, right, return to center. Do this for each nub.

After doing this, the nubs *really* are calibrated properly and work superlatively on my Pandora every single time. I've gotten into the habit of doing this every time I reboot my Pandora ..

mali said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
torpor said:
Are you guys doing the 'magic calibration' dance every time you reboot your Pandora? I've found this really does make a difference:

1. Power down your Pandora, to OFF state.
2. Center the nubs, physically, as best you can.
3. Turn it on.
4. While it is booting through the splash screen, press up, return to center, then down, return to center, left, return to center, right, return to center. Do this for each nub.

After doing this, the nubs *really* are calibrated properly and work superlatively on my Pandora every single time. I've gotten into the habit of doing this every time I reboot my Pandora ..

Thanks Mali I do this each time as well, just wondering if there was a magic reset button somewhere :)

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

i was in the xfce menu, then i went to settings, then to nubs, then i went to configure the right (or which ever was broken) nub. I then reset it, then changed the nub mode to mouse, it works fine now :)

So I got fed up of my right nub being a little less than ideal, and took it apart. Removing it from the PCB is risky, I´ve torn many pads off PCBs before - but at least these pads are solid. The sensor rubber element is tiny, and is also the spring. On mine, the inside of the main can, which retains the captive disk on the top was rough round the inside edge if the hole. I think this has been causing the roughness, and maybe also putting dust into the workings.
II very carefully trimmed this back, cleaned the inner nub in alcohol, and re-assembled. Still works, and I think better than before. There is nothing special or difficult, but I don´t think its in the relms of a video how-to.

tsh said:
So I got fed up of my right nub being a little less than ideal, and took it apart. Removing it from the PCB is risky, I´ve torn many pads off PCBs before - but at least these pads are solid. The sensor rubber element is tiny, and is also the spring. On mine, the inside of the main can, which retains the captive disk on the top was rough round the inside edge if the hole. I think this has been causing the roughness, and maybe also putting dust into the workings.
II very carefully trimmed this back, cleaned the inner nub in alcohol, and re-assembled. Still works, and I think better than before. There is nothing special or difficult, but I don´t think its in the relms of a video how-to.
You don't mind if I send my Pandora to you to see if you can take a look at mine? My left nub seems broken in some way, any idea what could break inside them from too much stress moving the nub around?

Linky for 0.002" gauge blade.
$2.60
It is 1/2" wide, though.
You may need to cut it down in width.
http://www.amazon.com/002-Tempered-Steel-Feeler-Stock/dp/B002SPKH9E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1276726442&sr=8-7

MDave said:
You don't mind if I send my Pandora to you to see if you can take a look at mine? My left nub seems broken in some way, any idea what could break inside them from too much stress moving the nub around?
Hmm... I guess I could take a look if you're happy with the risk. From what's inside, nothing should break because the only moving parts are the button on the top, fixed to a smaller button inside, and the mini rubber joystick inside. If the white plastic bit has fallen off the rubber nub, with luck it can be super-glued. it would only break if there was something bad inside the case which is not air-tight, but is well sealed.

Pics of the innards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsh2/sets/72157624166449581/
4707661640_74b25c7ef6_m.jpg

4707667532_91df7a7d2b_m.jpg

4707667914_4381888f4c_m.jpg
In the last photo, it is just possible to see tiny pegs in between the quadrants of the sensor. I think one of these (now at the top) might have been distorted by less than perfect assembly - that is my best explanation of imperfect behaviour.

tsh said:
MDave said:
Hmm... I guess I could take a look if you're happy with the risk. From what's inside, nothing should break because the only moving parts are the button on the top, fixed to a smaller button inside, and the mini rubber joystick inside. If the white plastic bit has fallen off the rubber nub, with luck it can be super-glued. it would only break if there was something bad inside the case which is not air-tight, but is well sealed.

Pics of the innards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsh2/sets/72157624166449581/
4707661640_74b25c7ef6_m.jpg

4707667532_91df7a7d2b_m.jpg

4707667914_4381888f4c_m.jpg
In the last photo, it is just possible to see tiny pegs in between the quadrants of the sensor. I think one of these (now at the top) might have been distorted by less than perfect assembly - that is my best explanation of imperfect behaviour.

Ahh excellent, thanks for those pics! Yeah, I think that's what the problem is with mine now too. The rubber button thing has either dislodged (I get what I can describe as digital like response using the nub as a mouse, usually 360 degrees of direction but some directions move the mouse very slowly or not at all, or too sensitive with a slight touch of the nub) or twisted around where it was supposed to be aligned with the pegs. The worst I fear is the rubber joystick thing inside has been damaged or something.

I would try to fix this myself, but I trust you compared to what possible damage I could do :lol: never soldered anything in my life.

hi well have been playing with my Pandora now for just over a week and a half now and the dubs do work better than before
but they work great in the n64 emu better than in the OS ?

Back