The Nintendo 3Ds

Yigguth said:
I don't think those are renders
also the screen is 800x240 which rivals the pandora's 800x480

i think only 400 are lit up at any one time. 400 for each eye...

Last edited by a moderator:
well since both eyes get to see an image I don't think you'll really notice

yes but what im saying is it doesnt really rival the screen res of pandora, since it's not true 800px wide. plus it has a measly 240px in height.

It's 400 pixels of width for each eye, flashing rapidly side by side. You probably won't even notice the difference.
Also you could always turn the 3d effect off, thus utilizing all 800 pixels to display a non-3d image (which is all the pandora can display anyways)

By the way, the 800 x 240 is still a rumor.

gibberish said:
yes but what im saying is it doesnt really rival the screen res of pandora, since it's not true 800px wide. plus it has a measly 240px in height.

240 height is suitable for 3D movies.

lulzfish said:
So it's 400 by 240 which sort of doesn't rival the Pandora. But it is stereo. I wonder if that affects the viewable angle? Are there glasses involved?

800, not 400.

And no, you don't need glasses.

SONY said:
By the way, the 800 x 240 is still a rumor.
actually it's in a pdf file at nintendos official press website
http://press.nintendo.com/E32010/
username: guest
pass: nintendo

trufax.jpg

Wow, when Nintendo makes an Handheld, they really make an Handheld! ^^"
Pretty serious stuff, I already like the Design and I'm not an Nintendo Fanboy. I guess Sony with the PSP are now even more behind Nintendo.

Unless Sony pull something amazing out their ass the PSP line is dead.

Apple and Nintendo own the main stream portable scene for now.

I love the idea of the glasses-free 3D screen technology. I can't wait to see it in person. One interesting thing: I wonder if this will also allow 3D emulated games from PSX and N64 to be seen in real 3D.

A 3D-capable touchscreen is the main thing on my wishlist for a Pandora 2 whenever that comes out a few years from now... :p (who knows, maybe they'll exist then)

800x240 really means 400x240x2

So the top screen has half the pixels of the Pandora, but half those pixels can only be seen by the left eye, and half by the right.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a half-arsed effort for six years of R&D? The screen? Horrifically low resolution at 400x240, less than the PSP of all things. (you won't see 800x240 due to the parallax barrier) The colours? Disgusting and nonsensical. The shape? Some weird combination of Batman and 1984. The D-pad looks unusable. The upper screen is too low and looks awful from a spacing and layout perspective. The graphics from what I've seen aren't much better than the PSP or Pandora. The hinges are still those tiny ones from the Lite which will break easily owing to a lack of internal support. (the hinges rest on flaps of plastic that go over the shoulders, with no internal structure, and the rachet will tear the right hinge off in a few years at best) The cameras are still a pathetic 0.3mp.

I mean, seriously? My three year old phone based on a five year old design outdoes the camera and screen resolution. It's the resolution that bothers me most. With the 300+dpi iPhone4 as primary competition you think they'd make an effort.

NeX-Ferret said:
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a half-arsed effort for six years of R&D? The screen? Horrifically low resolution at 400x240, less than the PSP of all things. (you won't see 800x240 due to the parallax barrier) The colours? Disgusting and nonsensical. The shape? Some weird combination of Batman and 1984. The D-pad looks unusable. The upper screen is too low and looks awful from a spacing and layout perspective. The graphics from what I've seen aren't much better than the PSP or Pandora. The hinges are still those tiny ones from the Lite which will break easily owing to a lack of internal support. (the hinges rest on flaps of plastic that go over the shoulders, with no internal structure, and the rachet will tear the right hinge off in a few years at best) The cameras are still a pathetic 0.3mp.

I mean, seriously? My three year old phone based on a five year old design outdoes the camera and screen resolution. It's the resolution that bothers me most. With the 300+dpi iPhone4 as primary competition you think they'd make an effort.
Probably not the only one, but yeah they're focussing on the 3D effect, not on giving super high resolutions. I can't criticise them until I've seen the 3D effect in person. The graphics shown have been impressive enough for me for a portable console, especially since the depth effect may add something to the gameplay. But yeah I want to see first hand before making a judgement, I'd advise you to do the same.

Gives me a warm feeling, about time Nintendo started playing to their strengths again.
I do hope for Sony's sake that they offer a little more than increased polygons & a second nub with PSP2 (but i suspect not)
Apple will be more than a little peeved also, (and before you all shout different market, Mr Iwata would strongly disagree with you!)

Anyway don't know about others but Nintendo has me sold, how many here plan to pre-order?

SONY said:
Once everyone is familiar with the 3DS hardware...we'll start seeing Wii-like (or better) graphics on it. Give it another 1 or 2 years.
What everyone seems to be forgetting is that the Wii is already beyond Wii-like graphics because it's had it's 1-2 years already. :D
Seriously, all this talk is pretty useless. We need to see the specs and the games later in the dev circle beforewe can really judge the graphical capabilities. Also, who the hell cares? The games look awesome enough, don't they? They're 3D, goddamnit! :D

Any actual 3D trailers up on Youtube, yet? (I'm also interested in seeing somehome console 3D games in action...)

Wow, a telescoping stylus, and good to see they actually bothered to increase the bottom screen res to 320*240.
By the way, there is no flashing involved in this 3D tech. You see a 400*240 picture with each eye simultaneously.

I have to preorder this. Even though I know there is going to be a 3DSL with larger top screen in ~1.5 years... :p The unfortunate top screen size in this first model is probably a limitation imposed by what 3D screens are actually available with this tech.

NeX-Ferret said:

I don't buy a system for specs, I buy a system for quality games. Also, while I obviously can't vouch for the build quality of the 3DS, I have never ever had a piece of Nintendo hardware fail or break in any way. I can still fire up my old NES, GB, etc as if it were 1989. Nintendo knows lots of kids play their systems and they build things to be durable, so I am confident the 3DS hardware will be equally reliable.

I will also be aiming to get this on launch day. Which, does anyone know when that actually is?

Esn said:
I love the idea of the glasses-free 3D screen technology. I can't wait to see it in person.
Anyone know the release date ? (or we could go with a pool :-D )
Esn said:
One interesting thing: I wonder if this will also allow 3D emulated games from PSX and N64 to be seen in real 3D.
(an uneducated guess) YES!

Esn said:
A 3D-capable touchscreen is the main thing on my wishlist for a Pandora 2 whenever that comes out a few years from now... :p (who knows, maybe they'll exist then)
Craigx, did you read this ?

With the number of the parners Nintendo gathered this round, they ruled the E3. And with the number of title that come from the N64 world, I just hope that mean that nin offered them a smooth way to port titles to this new handheld. Every body would win : Nin have a great portfolio from start ; franchise will only need QA (and a few devs) to sell their game once more ; and us... ???
But this sound just plain crazy as the API that ninty seems to provide (still uneducated...) is low level and not high level. (Using low level basicaly mean hard to port)
Any guru out there that can save me from my current schizophrenia ?

Nova said:
I will also be aiming to get this on launch day. Which, does anyone know when that actually is?

I don't think it has been announced yet. If I had to guess, I'd say sometime between Thanksgiving (US) and Christmas on the early side, and spring 2011 on the latter side.

Back