Just Played The 3DS Today......

Jumpman

Advanced Member
WOW, just went to my local Best Buy here in vegas(electronic/apliance store here in the states), and they have a Nintendo 3DS display unit to try out.

The 3D effect is very cool. You can only try Pilot Wings Resort, but I have read it shows the greatest levels of 3D, so that was ok. Plus I'm a fan of the SNES, and N64 games, so it was good to show 3D, and to try out the analog nub.

The 3D takes place kinda of in the unit, so stuff isn't flying at you like in the movies, but the effect shows more depth than anything else. I tried it with the slider all the way up, and that could be a little uneven at times, so I dialed it down a little, and the 3D was much better at that level for me.

Now I only played for about 10 minutes, and I can't say I had any eye strain or motion sickness problems, but I'm sure it will happen with long term play. I'm also not sure how long or how often I will actually use the 3D, as it is really just a gimmick currently, but what a gimmick it is. It was so cool flying around the resort island in 3D.

The analog nub is very similar to the Pandora's, but it is rubber which provides a little better gripping action, and it also has a wider range of movement. It is also very nice overall, and way better than the PSP analog nub, and just slightly better than the Pandora's.

So now having played the 3DS I can honestly say Nintendo does deliver an entirely new handheld experiance. Now my 2 week wait will be just that much more hard to take, but at least my Pandora is back home, so I've got 30+ years of video game history to keep me busy.

Chris

Here in London England we got adverts on telly showing lucky sods sitting in sterile chambers having a sneak preview play, with a mention that you can check a web link to find out where your local sterile game chamber is to try it yourself, I've only seen a demo clip on YouTube from some CES type show, looked pretty good 3D depth though even from that.

So what is this dial you speak of?

Can all the games be played in non-3D then, and you have a dial to adjust how much 3D is applied??

That's how I read it, if that's the case I didn't know that either

^ There's a depth-slider located on the side of the screen. The 3D can indeed be deactivated if you so desire. Some software deactivates it for reasons such as use of the gyro instead, and when that's the case, you'll find that the little "3D" text located at the top of the slider will not be lit up green, and that the depth-slider does nothing. Basically, the "3D" lettering lights up green when the effect is available.

When I tried it out (if you're UK-based, try asking in-store if you have a local branch of GAME - the demo units are kept out back, and if you ask to take a look, they'll bring it in for you), I found that it worked best for me with the 3D on full, though it also looks nice with the effect switched off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back