Rooting for the underdog

TJFBryant

Island Man with Pandora in my pocket
I've been reading alot of skepticism lately about GameParks European release, and how they can matchup to PsP and Nokia and all the other various handhelds.

I can tell you all, that although I may share many of everybody's thoughts on the Gp32 scene and its chances vs. everybody else (which would be very slim). I am rooting for this system to succeed. AND I DON'T mean it has to succeed in a big way.
I know the gaming world is overwhelmed with Big corporations with a Monopoly and stranglehold on certain markets. BUT GP32 can also have this nitch. Granted, it may not be a big nitch, even relatively small. BUT, GamePark can survive, if the fan base continues to grow or remain steady, and interest still surrounds it.
Now I realize Profit and Money is the main concern of GamePark's survival, but so is its fanbase, its community. This whole "underground gaming scene" is growing. Not because of more paid advertising in Mags or newspapers, but because of free press. Word of mouth, people willing to tell others what a rare gem this little handheld is (reviews)...etc.

I know that Sony holds most of the market for console gaming with its PS2. But, Nintendo holds its own with its Gamecube, and Microsofts XBox. These are 3 HUGE companies going after the samething, Domination in the gaming market (which is BTW the fastest growing market in the world.)

Why can't GamePark, a very small company, hold there own? They don't have to grab a piece of the pie to enjoy it. Little nibbles work just fine...even in business this works. (Man, I am making myself hungry now).

SO sorry folks, if I am not as much as a realist as others in this community. I suppose I have more hope than doubt that GamePark just might pull this one off.
No matter how small it maybe. I maybe living in a dream world, but I have no doubt were my loyalty and excitment stands when this Flurry of Handheld Madness starts up......its GamePark all the way. I am for the underdog, and if I have to eat my words (when/if) GamePark goes under?? I will.

In the meantime, I am here, now, enjoying and savoring every precious moment.

I agree with everything you said. It's main reason I bought one, and the GP forums are the only ones I bother with. This machine has become popular because of word of mouth, and the efforts of a few talented programmers. The only reason it's getting a major release is down to us, not the hardware (though great) and not the commercial games. Our commitment as a scene has sold more GP's in europe than Gamepark has. I've personally made four sales at my workplace alone (granted it is a games development house).

The upshot of this, is that as a game designer/artist, and having convinced several coders to commit to coding for it, you will hopfully be seeing some commercial grade software coming your way. And it's down to this community, and the forums like it, that we are going to bother. I would thank gamepark for developing some great hardware, and also breaking the expensive development chain by allowing us to freely develop without having to buy expensive dev kits, or pay cartridge royalties. On this platform, small startups can prosper- and for that it deserves massive success, like the amiga and ST before it, by allowing development to prosper, because no other machine will let us startup without thousands in the bank. The big 3 have virtualy killed startup development in the UK. And publishers have bumped off over one third of our dev industry, leaving many of my (very talented) friends on the dole. By being able to download from the web to an encrypted machine,gamepark also allow us to bypass expensive cartridge outlay, as well as bypassing publishers if we wish.

I hope more development talent flock to this machine, because it deserves to succeed. And i'm going to evangelise it, until it does.

Back