The Last Appstore Thread

The top candidates

• Total voters

I'm for something memorable yet harmless, along the "hellollo" lines. Appappa was already a song though. If we're going with a Pandora theme, something hopeful (as that's what stayed in the box). ελπίδα - elpida - perhaps Elpidaida is too strange? It has encouragingly few Google hits.
Edit: IMHO CamelCasing gets annoying really quick.

What kind of stupid poll is this? You discard all of the "PND" names but ARSE is so lol that omg haha rofl zomg it gets included? Useless attention whoring there.

I am going to shout out a name and you are all going to agree with it ;)

We are talking about Pandora. Pandora's box, the box etc. are favourites here by a lot of folks.

Pandora's box is famous for what happens when it opens. Pandora is famous for being open.

So Pandora's box is now open........therefore......

The store will be called "Pandora OpenBox". Now dare say no :p

BackAssward posted on 28 January 2010 - 07:46 AM said:
The Warehouse? The Flea-market? The Bake-sale? The Bait-shop? The Corner-store? The Community-square? The Imaginarium? The Emporium? The Qubesicle?

I kinda like Bake-sale.

That poll needs a "none of the above" option, I can't vote for any of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Kangal said:
Gruso you're right.
I meant to say I compiled but I forgot to edit that, all the credit goes to you.
Well (you're going to hate me for this) I don't want credit for the criteria, because it misrepresents what I was saying. I wanted people to talk about what the name meant, not vote on it.

No I dont hate you, in fact makes me like you more. If you want I'll re-edit it. I was thinking along the lines of "people will think about what the name should represent, then give their votes depending on their views". If the community thought about what the name should represent, then thought about which name gives that implication, we could come to the conclusion of one name that most of us agree on. As I said, its a subjective decision, like the addition of a keyboard to the Pandora. Some will like, others dislike. As long as the majority like, its a no-brainer.

I'm sure it must have been mentioned before but how about

'Pangea'

I know it's the possible name of a GUI itself but still....

It has a kind of community feel (everything together) and almost spells out pan gear

alternative spellings 'Pangaea', 'Pangæa'

Just an (possibly stolen) idea :)

CJ

The Box feels pretty natural to me - it implies connotation to anyone who's familiar with the legend. For those who aren't it could be confusing.

ffs you missed POGS
pandora
open
games
software

and it friggin sounds like box

im all for democracy but craig and i hate the box.
its irrelivant and doesnt describe at all what the site is about. some loose connection to pandoras box is a bit naff

Pazar really caught my eye, it's snappy, catchy and rhymes with Bazaar. Therefore my vote would probably be for the slightly modified Pazaar. Not only a play on the English-ish Bazaar, but a subtle nod to the Pandora and also the Turkish word.

Not to purposely belittle anyone's, but the options available for voting seem to span from vague, to overly texty, to outright absurd. Pazaar has the benefit of being a relatively unused term (check google) although the .com is taken I imagine we're focussed on a .org.

OpenBox - Potentially confusing, a free window manager for X
Applace - Do we really want "Appl" in the name? Easily confused with an iPhone/iTouch project
Pandora's Box - Pretty good, actually, but too connected with the Pandora project and lacking in generecism (is that a word?)
Download Centre - Very descriptive, but dry and doesn't make for good desktop icon subtext
OpenMarket - Taken - http://www.openmarket.org/
Agora - ?! Reminds me of Agoraphobia... not a great connotation
Pandorium - Isn't that a fine establishment in the inner circles of hell? Oh, no, wait, it's that crappy resident evil knockoff film
The Centre - Center Centre... don't even touch that word
Open AppStore - I wonder how open it will really be, as closed source apps will be inevitably sold there. Also AppStore is again too iPhone/iPod/iPad connected
AppHole - ... ha!
PND - Really? pnd.org could work, I suppose if it wasn't taken
Appandora - Ahh my heid!
ARSE - Okay, now we're just being silly

Pazaar.org is available to register and really has the potential to be a brand in its own right. Just sayin'

*picks up phone... PAZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR*

The Ark-Hive
(or ArkHive if you prefer)

Also, "The Community Chest", Nice popular culture (game) reference. E.g. Monopoly.

Admittedly both of these are of a completely different style and feel, but I think both are apt in their own way. I guess it depends on if you want to go geek-chick or retro/nostalgic.

Edit @ the replies: Also, don't forget Ark, as in "Raiders of the lost Ark" where it contained all that evil energy... kinda like, I don't know Pandora's box... yes, there are levels upon levels to that one when I came up with it. I do still like "The Community Chest" too though.

@BackAssward .... I think you've got a good one there....

Hive - community, home, nest. Ark for the preservation of something .... and melting both together to have ArkHive.

The more I think about it the better I like it.

Mhhhhh, yeah, I'll stick with ArkHive or The Ark-Hive, even Ark-Hive

WoD said:
Pazar really caught my eye, it's snappy, catchy and rhymes with Bazaar. Therefore my vote would probably be for the slightly modified Pazaar.
BackAssward said:
The Ark-Hive
(or ArkHive if you prefer)

Also, "The Community Chest", Nice popular culture reference.

Since no-one agreed on "The Centre" or "Appandora" I deleted them from the Poll. It wasn't helping.
But I have to say "ArkHive" is genius. Pun for archive=repository/appstore and hive=community twist.
Pazar/Pazaar is okay, generic enough for Wiz, Dingoo and Pandora successors.

Back