what emulators could the pandora run that it doesn't already?

pspfan

Still Fresh
1)Playstation 2

2)game cube

3)dreamcast

4)and finally 3d0

These are all emulation I would love to see in a portable system, thats why I fell in love with the psp (but the psp can't run any of them).

I have been waiting for my Pandora (the first run)

I am looking foward to getting the pandora and hopefully It will be able to run 1 of these 4 systems someday

If not then I will be looking for the "PANDORA II"

Dreamcast is a possibility but has a chance of running better on the 1ghz pandoras.Someone mentioned 3do before but i dunno if there was a decent open source emu for it available.

Ps2 and gamecube are out for the p1 im afraid. Some aga amiga 1200 emulation is available via uae 2.0 also linuxbochs is working on porting fs-uae (the best all miggy systems emu available) to the pandora.Im hoping the 1ghz pandora can give fs-uae a speed boost.

1)Playstation 2

2)game cube

3)dreamcast

4)and finally 3d0

You can forget about 1 2 and 3. It's not a 1ghz cpu that will make the difference to make it feasible.

For the 3dO it should be possible even on the current Pandora. There is one open source emulator for the 3dO currently, but when I asked the question of its portability it seems it was going to be a lot of work as the code is heavily windows-based.

I'm not so concerned about the 1Ghz Pandora running anything that the 256MB Pandora won't - just that it can run them smoother/better - and more of it at a time.

I'm not so concerned about the 1Ghz Pandora running anything that the 256MB Pandora won't - just that it can run them smoother/better - and more of it at a time.

Yeah, what I mean is that you may get 20/30% more frames per second at best, and as far as I know that still wont cut it to make a Dreamcast emulator or even the NDS emulator playable. And for N64, we already know the bottleneck is not CPU related, so in terms of emulators, I'm not sure there is much "value" to get a 1Ghz Pandora.

Unless someone comes with a magic trick to get way more performance than the current emulators we have seen.

Yeah, what I mean is that you may get 20/30% more frames per second at best, and as far as I know that still wont cut it to make a Dreamcast emulator or even the NDS emulator playable. And for N64, we already know the bottleneck is not CPU related, so in terms of emulators, I'm not sure there is much "value" to get a 1Ghz Pandora.

Unless someone comes with a magic trick to get way more performance than the current emulators we have seen.

OR unless some people are using the Pandora for things other than game emulation.

OR unless some people are using the Pandora for things other than game emulation.

The main reason I use my Pandora is for studying.

It wasn't intended to use it that way but it's a great advantage. No paper, and everything with me. Nowerdays We get everything as PDF and I only have to take some notes with Xournal :D .

The only thing I miss is VGA output. Else I'd be able to hold my presentations with my Pandora.

Don't worry, the second main usage is PSX emulation. I also use the Pandora for what it's made for :D .

Dreamcast might be possible.

The 1ghz is not just faster, it also contains a lot of fixes in the architecture that boost the overall performance.

Not architecture, but an updated sgx. And some fixes in the soc itself.

Not architecture, but an updated sgx. And some fixes in the soc itself.

Okay, but what are you (or what is Foxgod) referring to that impacts performance, and could be called a "fix"?

Hardware can have flaws that limits its power, those get ironed out with later revisions of the same SoC, the new Pandora contains a revised SoC of the original version.

Hardware can have flaws that limits its power, those get ironed out with later revisions of the same SoC, the new Pandora contains a revised SoC of the original version.

Please don't aimlessly speculate on this and call it fact.. just admit you don't actually know of any fixes that will improve performance :p

Please don't aimlessly speculate on this and call it fact.. just admit you don't actually know of any fixes that will improve performance :p

I state what i read form people who tested the performance, thats hardly aimless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in knowing how well mednafen performs with gameboy advance emulation on the 1Ghz units.
Any way to get some measurements out of it, like fps counter?

Shift - F1 (Shift-Fn-1) enables the fps counter. From top to bottom - (virtual, rendered, blitted)

Also '+' or (Fn-F) enters fast forward mode, but I don't know if that will be very useful.

Back