The Gaming Public's First Reactions To The Pandora

mazza558

It's interesting looking over the links posted in the "Pandora Web Coverage" thread, seeing people's first reaction to the device. Things like "it's ugly!" "it won't have any games!". As you read further into forum threads, people start to reply more positively as they realize what this thing can do. There was one user who really wasn't interested (even hated the concept) but by the end of the thread was interested.

This made me laugh:

This is a machine that promotes stealing ageless games that could still make money for their home companies, and I say ban this sick filth.

It's like when you listen to a fantastic band/artist but it takes a while to warm to it.

How have friends around you reacted if/when you told them about the Pandora?

Well none of my friends would be slightly interested in the pandora, so I have no one to talk to about it, the only person who will see my pandora is me :( And yes that quote made me laugh too...

Hmm...

For every 1 person who thinks they might buy one, there's 3 who say it will flop like the ngage.

Luckily for us there wrong! if the pandora flops, I will it my hat, or some other equally indigestible item!

First opinions are usually, "if it's not sony/nintendendo/apple/microsoft, it has no future". This is natural, considering how deep those monopolies are embedded on our lives. Most people cannot think of any other OS than vindoze and most of the rest knows only about macos. Anything that plays music is an eye-pod, etcetera.
It is us, the community, who can break this and of course, with a quality device from craig&co. Still, this won't be easy but I get happy when I see rain of comments form pandora guys, who really make a difference in that particular discussion.

The remarks about the design in some discussions are a thing I really can't understand.
Its functional and looks great to me.

I absolutely love the design, it has a timeless class to it, cannot think of a better.

Real style beats fashion in the long run, thats what I say.
(Or do my brains "taste buds" work so differently?)

Even if Pandora did fail to convince the so called "gaming public", it would still be the best and most portable system for the Atari/Amiga Community, and for all others looking for the best mobile emulation device.
...and the best for linux geeks... With that in mind, I can't see it fail, even if the average gaming "John Public kid" did not care at all.

ati said:
First opinions are usually, "if it's not sony/nintendendo/apple/microsoft, it has no future". This is natural, considering how deep those monopolies are embedded on our lives. Most people cannot think of any other OS than vindoze and most of the rest knows only about macos. Anything that plays music is an eye-pod, etcetera.
It is us, the community, who can break this and of course, with a quality device from craig&co. Still, this won't be easy but I get happy when I see rain of comments form pandora guys, who really make a difference in that particular discussion.
Pretty much :) !

Though things are at least beginning to change. Think how the gnu/linux OS has grown over the years. 10 years ago, it was virtually unknown but now look at it all. Come a long way.

IHMO though the pandora isn't just a tiny computer-console. It's proof that a community can produce a device without having to bow and scrape to some corporation out there and to make something that can be used and works, proof of concept and running code. Go back those 10 years ago and it would have been very hard for any community to put together something like a pandora.

What I'm hopeful about is that others will in time see the pandora and decide to do the same sort of thing. The pandora could be the first of many very intresting community based, open projects.

ljones

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic quote. The only way they could still make money would be via virtual console but even then thats only a limited number of consoles.

I told my mate i wanted a pandora and showed him openpandora.org and he said "Nah man, get a psp" i told him that the pandora is so much more powerful and is way better at emulation than a psp and he responded with "But it's all about the image man"... Ridiculous

Babrios said:
The remarks about the design in some discussions are a thing I really can't understand.
Its functional and looks great to me.

I absolutely love the design, it has a timeless class to it, cannot think of a better.

Real style beats fashion in the long run, thats what I say.
(Or do my brains "taste buds" work so differently?)

Even if Pandora did fail to convince the so called "gaming public", it would still be the best and most portable system for the Atari/Amiga Community, and for all others looking for the best mobile emulation device.
...and the best for linux geeks... With that in mind, I can't see it fail, even if the average gaming "John Public kid" did not care at all.
Well I can understand the comments about the design, my first impression was "ugh! ugly!" but then after a day it grew on me once I realised how small it was going to be and thought "well how else is it going to look, if it has to house all the keyboard buttons, etc..."

Now I really like how it looks.

Jel-op said:
I told my mate i wanted a pandora and showed him openpandora.org and he said "Nah man, get a psp" i told him that the pandora is so much more powerful and is way better at emulation than a psp and he responded with "But it's all about the image man"... Ridiculous
Hey, your friend should get a POPStation. :) Image on the cheap.

If it sells anything like the ngage did this will be a massive success! nokia shifted a few million with the ngage - with products in nearly every phone store. What people need to appreciate is this is an alternative product for a hardcore group of people who want these specific features.

It wont beat Sony and Nintendo in terms of sales, but it doesnt need to. These guys are LAUNCHING THEIR OWN HANDHELD CONSOLE! I mean who the hell does that? It's a balls of steel approach that would give most people a nervous breakdown. The pandora team have the vision and determination to see it through. It's an amazing achievement for the team, and a great opportunity for us to get a piece of handheld console history.

The open nature of the software development is a breath of fresh air for handheld consoles and continues the legacy of what was established with the GP32 - but goes one step futher in making the design process really democratic in terms of features.

It's an inspiration! Let's hope more electronic products are developed like this in the future!

:pandora1:

One major difference between this and the n-gage, I easily can keep porting/making games for this even if it goes belly up, which I highly doubt it will :p

Consumer whores will always be consumer whores, lucky for me I am a consumer whore of awesome niche products... unlike sony fanboys...

Hooka said:
One major difference between this and the n-gage, I easily can keep porting/making games for this even if it goes belly up, which I highly doubt it will :p

Consumer whores will always be consumer whores, lucky for me I am a consumer whore of awesome niche products... unlike sony fanboys...
I consider this thing an awesome UMPC that can do games, not as a handheld console that can do PC stuff. Of course I'm also going to use it for emulating like crazy. Just mostly it'll be a pocket pc for me.

ati said:
I know a lot of people like this. None of them realize that they all had to come in somewhere. The original video games were developed by SEGA, and American company. Now a lot of the market is dominated by Sony/Nintendo, which are Japanese companies. Eventually, they'll be gone too.

I'm lucky that I have a friend who's as enthusiastic about handheld gaming as I am,

Here's what they wrote me in an email:

It sounds brilliant. Beautifully blocky; looks just like my first laptop. But a little less blocky. And two SD slots could be brilliant. No messing about with computers to transfer files. And you'll never run out of games worth playing with it all being so willingly legally open source. And if it can manage N64 I could finally play Majora's Mask -- I feel like I kind of don't count as a real person until i do, and I've never been able to make N64 emulators run properly on computer. But yeah, this could be just what the games industry needs. Power to the people, and all that :) It's so nice that real people could do this all themselves, and we should support that, right? Good excuse to get one, anyway. Ohh, now I want one and I have no money.

Username said:
The original video games were developed by SEGA, and American company.
Sega is a Japanese company, they started off making Pachinko machines I believe! Atari would have possibly kept their hold on the market had they not made a mess of things.

My friends all thinks its pwnsauce...they're not very linux geek-y or atari/amiga-community-y...but then again most of them only want it because i will (hopefully) have it...the rest just want it to show up me...and others that want it...

anyways, my friends think its pwnsauce, even though they have no clue whats so good about it...

...my friends are just weird...

Back