The Gaming Public's First Reactions To The Pandora

Username said:
ati said:
First opinions are usually, "if it's not sony/nintendendo/apple/microsoft, it has no future". This is natural, considering how deep those monopolies are embedded on our lives. Most people cannot think of any other OS than vindoze and most of the rest knows only about macos. Anything that plays music is an eye-pod, etcetera.
It is us, the community, who can break this and of course, with a quality device from craig&co. Still, this won't be easy but I get happy when I see rain of comments form pandora guys, who really make a difference in that particular discussion.
I know a lot of people like this. None of them realize that they all had to come in somewhere. The original video games were developed by SEGA, and American company. Now a lot of the market is dominated by Sony/Nintendo, which are Japanese companies. Eventually, they'll be gone too.

SEGA? You seriously have no clue about the videogame history, sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_video_game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

The true videogame were invented mostly by USA people, in a very "accidental" way too. Games were just geek toys used in UNIX and other kind of advanced multiuser systems of that era, mostly were text based and based on the role playing games.

This changed whe Ralph Bauer started did the first commercial videogame set, but the big commercial boom started with Atari in 1972 and by Taito (japanese) in 1978. Initially the commercial sucess were on arcade machines, and then the home systems appeared later in form of computers and videogame systems.

Nintendo started doing toys, then the electronic era began. They disrtibuted the Magnavox Oddysey in 1974 and in 1977 they developed their own pong-like system. They moved to the arcade industry and ported many of their game to third party platforms. Then they released Game & Watch that gave them a great sucess, but nothing compared to the worldwide huge sucess of NES/Famicom.

NES gave Nintendo practically the monopoly of the videogame industry, much as with Sony recently.

Electromechanical games were quite older than electronic games and SEGA was started by American people in Hawaii, that's true.

The first electromechanical games date from 1929 in USA, the start of the pinball era. Maybe earlier, I have not checked this very deeply.

If you want to know about the origin of games, they weren't invented by Americans at all. They date from the origins of humanity as you can see here, people always was getting bored even in those very ancient times with too few commodities ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have vague memories of reading that SEGA was actually American too, maybe in a Retrogamer feature? It was just based in Japan because they exported from there, and eventually became Japanese?

False memory?

Erm ... Sega was originally an American company founded on American soil, and opened operations in Japan later. Yes, today it is Japanese owned but lets not forget it was founded by Americans.

I forget the reference but I remember the information well because I was greatly amused by it, but whatever you call the mafia type operations in Japan they were bewildered what to do with 'the Americans' opening amusement shops in Japan and tended to give Sega a little leeway compared to domestic Japanese companies because they weren't really sure how to approach the Americans (and after WWII, well, I'd be bewildered too). It was a great read and I'll be damned if I can remember the source, I read about it in the 90's sometime.

Concerning the publics reaction to the Pandora once they start getting out into the wild people will be reading about people being able to do all sorts of things and probably change their tune unless they're mindless zombies and follow the herd.

craigix said:
I have vague memories of reading that SEGA was actually American too, maybe in a Retrogamer feature? It was just based in Japan because they exported from there, and eventually became Japanese?

False memory?
Yeah it's true. I completely forgot but this is actually in Game Over - How Nintendo Conquered the World.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-over-Nintendo...7202&sr=8-5

Since when did Ralph Baer change his last name to Bauer? :p It really sucks for him, he's the father of video games and no one knows it because Nolan Bushnell had enough to pay off Odyssey after stealing Baer's idea for Pong. Now Baer has terminal cancer, and he's trying to write a book to set the record straight. He probably won't finish it, and it's a shame, 'cause he was a nice guy when I met him at MGC.

A few people i know are interested in it, and will probably be much more so if they see me with it, especially if a n64 emulator gets working.

lets not forget the video game crash of the 80's (not that i as any where near born then :)) that is what by my understanding caused consoles and games to be of a few specific companies and made the public drawn to only these companies
but i told my friends about it and most of them said it looked cool but that they didn't want one because they already had a psp or something
this is a very niche device and it wont' have the "reality distortion field" of other weaker products that the mainstream buys without question (then again these are high school students who really don't give a shit about anything that doesn't help their image)

I got one of my friends who was into PSP homebrew obsessed with the Pandora... As for all my other friends, they're too busy playing Halo :(

There's a lot of mixed reviews of the Pandora. The biggest let down is two things: How it looks, and it runs on Linux. :p

You guys need to get some of your facts strait.

It is beleaved the first video game was a Tennis game for a Ollithoscope, a long time ago (around the 50's). All we have is an image of it and the creator, but no proof. The first games to run on television screens were created by Ralph Baer. Originally, it was simply called "The Brown Box". He tried to get it published but no one should enough intrest until he presented it to Magnavox. Magnavox than took the technology, repackaged it and sold it as the Odyssey, for 5 times more than it actually costed to make the unit. Not long after, Nolan Bushnell created Computer Space, a clone of Space Wars for the public. It did awful. Than his partner made pong, and Nolan loved it. He tested it and it was a hit. Sold tons.

Ralph Baer is known for introducing Video Games, Nolan Bushnell for making them popular. After that, Atari was #1... Until the Video Game Crash.

SEGA used to be Service Games, but when they joined another company, they became SEGA Enterprises. There first popular venture was Photo Booths in Japan. They took Electromechanical games and repaired them, and than sold them. They realised there was another market ready for them, and began making video games. Just to clear things up, SEGA (the original) was FOUNDED by an American after World War 2 in Japan. The other company in America eventualy bought out SEGA, and housed it in Hawaii. The original owner of Sega struck a deal with the american company and than they became based in America. So, It really was both.

Nintendo started in the gaming industry with the Game and Watch Series and wanted to get a bigger piece of the action. They created a game Called Radarscope, but it didin't do too well. So they hired Shigeru Miyamoto. He scrapped radarscope and wrote a new game for the same hardware, Donkey Kong. They came back in 1985 only because of there tricky word play on the markets. They claimed it was a toy, and made ROB to go with it so they could have it sold. America was saved by Nintendo, which is why they are still around.

It seems like most of you know the rest...
Anyhow...
I got my info from "The Ultimate History of Video Games" (a book), and SegaBase (a website), look them up if you wanna know more.

Babrios said:
The remarks about the design in some discussions are a thing I really can't understand.
Its functional and looks great to me.
add a semi-reflective paint job and some pointless blue lights and I bet they'll all love the "design".

mazza558 said:
"it won't have any games!"
a keyboard and a dos emulator beats every other gaming handheld without even trying

All of my friends think it's fairly cool and three of them say they'll be buying from the second batch (as they hadn't heard of it until I brought it up a month or so ago and will not have the money for the pre-order); it actually usually comes up in conversations with both of my room mates at least every other day. So I guess they'll just have to mooch off mine provided I can snag one of the first batch ;)

Classic Team said:
Nintendo started with the Game and Watch Series and wanted to get a bigger piece of the action.
Nintendo was founded over a century ago - and they didn't get their video gaming start with the Game & Watch series. ;)

Sorry, I should fix that. Nintendo started in the late 1800's as a Card playing company. I was talking about when they first started in the gaming industry.

One question though: Why is it that you keep discussing people's mistakes instead of adding onto the established discussion?

For goodness sake, that was just one mistake.

a lot of the time, the initial reaction I get is it looks like either "a ps2 controller with a screen and keyboard" or it's "a DS rip-off". I guess there's no please in some people. -_-

I don't think first reactions will decide anything with the pandora. It will be like "neat, but expensive." Also photographs/video of the Pandora should be with a hand model, one with big hands to makes it look really small.
Second reactions will be the key. Ya just gotta get major updates reviewed by reviewers.

Classic Team said:
One question though: Why is it that you keep discussing people's mistakes instead of adding onto the established discussion?

For goodness sake, that was just one mistake.
I'm terribly sorry, but I honestly wasn't aware of having done so at any time. :blink: Sorry if there's been any misunderstanding, though. (As an aside, I found the historical sub-discussion that was going on to be interesting, and was only dropping in for a brief few minutes at the time. :p)

Anyway, I can only really echo what a few have already said. The reactions I've had from people I know have been in the vein of some being interested, others finding it too pricey, and others having no use for it. And of course the seemingly obligatory folks who'd like it but at this time won't be able to get one (whether initially or in the long term) for whatever reason.

ashdjones said:
Sega is a Japanese company, they started off making Pachinko machines I believe! Atari would have possibly kept their hold on the market had they not made a mess of things.
I thought Sega was an American pinball company and then started doing business in Japan or something?

That is funny. I could see that as a (unintentional) joke in a programmer soap opera.

Back