The DragonBox Pyra will have an upgradable CPU?

ethereal

I've upgraded my cpu in my desktop computer before, but I never heard of upgrading the cpu on your phone.  

How is this done exactly?

Do you have pictures?

What kind of upgrades can we expect with the dragon box?

To upgrade you would just remove the old CPU PCB and put in the new one.  It looks like the connectors will be similar to what you would expect in a smartphone, maybe a bit larger and sturdier.  I think it will be simpler than swapping a PC CPU, but I can't remember all the details on heat and how it will be handled right now.

I don't have pictures right now, but they are around here somewhere.

No clue about what upgrades the Pyra will eventually have.

It's important to keep in mind that you're upgrading the SoC (which has CPU, GPU, video encode/decode and several peripherals), RAM, PMIC, and eMMC simultaneously. Meaning it'll be a lot more expensive than just a CPU would have been and you'll have to perform a data transfer to maintain your eMMC content.

Moduleboard is modular.

If a new one is made, you pop the old one out, and put the new one in.

I imagine you unscrew battery compartment, then the lower part of the base, and trade one for the other.

Screenshot-from-2015-04-14-081451-1024x575.png

Moduleboard is modular.

If a new one is made, you pop the old one out, and put the new one in.

I imagine you unscrew battery compartment, then the lower part of the base, and trade one for the other.

Screenshot-from-2015-04-14-081451-1024x575.png
 So you don't have to solder anything it's just a few screws, and snap it into place?

Are there any springs that you have to deal with?

I at least am looking forward to at least one SOC board upgrade down the line... however I suspect I will purchase an entire additional Pyra... I am sure that at that point there will have been some other minor fixes to some of the other hardware elements.

Also, having 2 Pyra's for emergency reasons (I.e. if one fails for whatever reason, swap the boards and good to go), seems like it will be my dominant reasoning.

So you don't have to solder anything it's just a few screws, and snap it into place?
If that (edited for clarity: soldering) was what was meant by upgradeable then every modern device with a CPU would be upgradeable. The design was done in such a way that it will be simpler to do an upgrade than if it were soldered on the main board.

It's meant to be user replaceable, ...
I obviously missed that. Does anybody have a link to that information? Thanks!
It probably depends on the user.  I don't remember seeing what sebt3 said in writing (I thought it was strongly suggested, though), but if you are comfortable opening your electronics and doing very basic stuff it shouldn't be a problem.  It should be easier than replacing the display cable on a Pandora (although I have never done that, so I have no credibility).

Last edited by a moderator:
If that was what was meant by upgradeable then every modern device with a CPU would be upgradeable
Maybe desktops, but I don't really see any mobile phones or tablets that you can upgrade like that (or at all)

Back