The Discussion HyperCube - Now in 4D!

There was news on mobileread that sony will be making a big screen model as well. Hopefully it'll have competitive pricing and be available in europe. I don't really care for the kindle, first of all because I couldn't use it and second because I dislike drm.

klikklak said:
There was news on mobileread that sony will be making a big screen model as well. Hopefully it'll have competitive pricing and be available in europe. I don't really care for the kindle, first of all because I couldn't use it and second because I dislike drm.
Dito, also because of the crappy screen, its size, its limited usability spectrum and its limited openness.

No reason to rejoice for me.

What chaps my arse about the kindle is that they hit you for $4-500 and then charge you more for the books. It would be a bit different if the books were 50-70% of the cost of a paperback. As for the DRM, I don't like it either. I would rather see Creative Commons plus Paypal and I will send the author what I think is fair. If I buy a book, they have no way of preventing me from loaning it to everyone I know. That is perfectly legal. So in effect, they are taking away my fair/legal use.

Peter R said:
When you send someone an E-Book it's not a loan, its a reproduction. You are not allowed to copy out your physical books word for word and hand out the copies.
If I send them my copy and don't retain a copy, it is a loan. I am not reproducing anything.

lingenfr said:
Peter R said:
When you send someone an E-Book it's not a loan, its a reproduction. You are not allowed to copy out your physical books word for word and hand out the copies.
If I send them my copy and don't retain a copy, it is a loan. I am not reproducing anything.
So when you send someone a file you always delete (beyond recovery) all of the copies of the file resident on any machines you own?

This discussion is no longer interesting. Now I am going to talk about Plants VS Zombies, and how I got a copy the day before it was released.

Peter R said:
lingenfr said:
Peter R said:
So when you send someone a file you always delete (beyond recovery) all of the copies of the file resident on any machines you own?
I don't buy commercial books because they have DRM, etc and limit my ability to view/use them on the device of my choice. Please don't start with the BS that everyone who posts here is a pirate.

Dude, lingenfr, you've got to chill. He in NO way accused you of being a pirate. Unless you delete (beyond recovery) all traces of that e-book that you lent your friend, you technically illegally sent him a copy of it. He's not necessarily saying that you send friends copies of e-books or pirate things in any way, he's just saying theoretically, unless you took such drastic measures, you're breaking the law.

(P.S.: All uses of "you" from the third sentence on are general, not specifically directed at you.)

pokemon heart gold and soul silver are said to be on the 2009 fall lineup for japan! any thoughts?

fischju said:
That's more like it, an e-book reader that won't kill your eyes. It just needs a little more time in the oven until the price burns down, then I can imagine things like this really taking off and replacing many people's need for computers, portable and stationary alike. Openness will hopefully come along with the technology's widespread.

Vorporeal said:
Dude, lingenfr, you've got to chill.
Dude, I am chilled :) I thought that I asked (hence the Please) that we not sidetrack a thread with an assertion that everyone interested in an open source device or emulator is a thief. I agree with you that you would need to delete all traces. I am imagining a library website where you could check out and return ebooks. Interesting idea. However, I am afraid that the ebook would end up being so hobbled with DRM, copy protection, print prevention, etc that it would be nearly unusable.

lingenfr said:
Vorporeal said:
Dude, I am chilled :) I thought that I asked (hence the Please) that we not sidetrack a thread with an assertion that everyone interested in an open source device or emulator is a thief. I agree with you that you would need to delete all traces. I am imagining a library website where you could check out and return ebooks. Interesting idea. However, I am afraid that the ebook would end up being so hobbled with DRM, copy protection, print prevention, etc that it would be nearly unusable.

I feel like the only way for that to work would be an executable e-book that once you've used up your time with it, it block-level erases itself from your hard drive. Not gonna fly well with most people.

Vorporeal said:
lingenfr said:
Vorporeal said:

I feel like the only way for that to work would be an executable e-book that once you've used up your time with it, it block-level erases itself from your hard drive. Not gonna fly well with most people.
*cough,cough* "chattr +i selfdestructebook.bin"
aka it's impossible to have copy-protection or file expiry on Linux, meaning that no-one will ever trust you if you're using a non-DRM system, because you're in control of the device and decide what's going from it and what's staying.

There's really no way to pull that off without something really odd like a Steam setup that pulls the books from the Internet, or maybe an encrypted file that has an expiration date, but somehow isn't affected by attempts to set the system clock back artifically.

Now I'm thinking about this... crap.

lulzfish said:
There's really no way to pull that off without something really odd like a Steam setup that pulls the books from the Internet, or maybe an encrypted file that has an expiration date, but somehow isn't affected by attempts to set the system clock back artifically.

Now I'm thinking about this... crap.

Internet time determination (syncing with NIST). Of course, that could be intercepted, but it's enough of a hassle that it would deter most users from trying to bypass it. (I suppose some sort of crazy, hard-to-crack encryption could be added, but that's just making things unnecessarily complicated.)

Back