The Cradle

I got my Cradle the other day, and so far I've been unable to get it to do anything.
Power goes to the cradle (a red LED appear on it when the gp2x (mk2) is turned on.
I dont have an external power source for either.
I've tried a mini keyboard, mouse, joypad, and usb stick, without any success. They all have LED's on them (except for the mouse which I've just been looking at the laser) which fail to light up at any time.
I did actually get the lights on for the keyboard when I partially removed the usb connector from the cradle then put it back again. however the LED's dont respond to their keys (when I hit Caps Lock the light doesn't go out). Should Keyboards be able to do this on their own, or do they need software to control the LEDs.
Even with some power getting to the Keyboard I was unable to get it to do any inputs (tried it in Quake).

So my question for everyone out their with working Cradles is... how do you test that something is working... will the mouse laser only light up when the correct program is loaded (scummVM doesn't do it). Which programs have people used to test things?
Advice would be appreciated. - in the mean time I'm going to try to find an external power supply to see if that makes a difference.

Godmil said:
I got my Cradle the other day, and so far I've been unable to get it to do anything.
Power goes to the cradle (a red LED appear on it when the gp2x (mk2) is turned on.
I dont have an external power source for either.
I've tried a mini keyboard, mouse, joypad, and usb stick, without any success. They all have LED's on them (except for the mouse which I've just been looking at the laser) which fail to light up at any time.
I did actually get the lights on for the keyboard when I partially removed the usb connector from the cradle then put it back again. however the LED's dont respond to their keys (when I hit Caps Lock the light doesn't go out). Should Keyboards be able to do this on their own, or do they need software to control the LEDs.
Even with some power getting to the Keyboard I was unable to get it to do any inputs (tried it in Quake).

So my question for everyone out their with working Cradles is... how do you test that something is working... will the mouse laser only light up when the correct program is loaded (scummVM doesn't do it). Which programs have people used to test things?
Advice would be appreciated. - in the mean time I'm going to try to find an external power supply to see if that makes a difference.
I have Hard disk, usb pen and Game pad all working (not tried Keyboard and mouse yet).

I had to power my cradle for this to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my keysonic nano keyboard and mini usb hub (its the size of the battery cover!!! that small) and my dinky mouse ... this is looking so bloody cool now. I just need to get an adapter to convert my DC adapters jack to the 3.5mm the cradle uses and then I will have my mini gp2x computer with full keyboard and mouse working. This keyboard is so cool!! google Keysonic 3400U if you haven't seen it. It is perfect for the GP2X! My next step once I get my host cable is to make my GP2X wifi enabled and mobile theres a nice 45g 2200mAh Li-ion battery stick on ebay that is perfect for this.

DBH said:
I just got my keysonic nano keyboard and mini usb hub (its the size of the battery cover!!! that small) and my dinky mouse ... this is looking so bloody cool now. I just need to get an adapter to convert my DC adapters jack to the 3.5mm the cradle uses and then I will have my mini gp2x computer with full keyboard and mouse working. This keyboard is so cool!! google Keysonic 3400U if you haven't seen it. It is perfect for the GP2X! My next step once I get my host cable is to make my GP2X wifi enabled and mobile theres a nice 45g 2200mAh Li-ion battery stick on ebay that is perfect for this.
Umm yeah it's small but hell not as small as the battery cover... Where did you buy it?

Hello !
I'm new on this board, and i'm french ; so please excuse my mistakes !!
It seems that i'm the only on french board to have bought a cradle, so i've a question i don't find answer on the web : i've to put a power supply on the cradle to plug my 2 HDD (160G and 200G) because my GP2X MK2 don't recognize them yet. I've an universal adaptator but i don't know where's the positive on the jack : is it on the center ?
Thank you to be clear !

^^ I need to know the exact same thing. I hope someone can answer, it's too tempting having the cradle and powersupply right here and not knowing how to plug them in.

I just got the cradle. It sucks.

Flawed, Flawed, Flawed. :( :eek:

The EXT (bottom one) cover Blocks the connector from actually working. So out of the box, it does not work.

The power requirements, don't list polarity of the MISSING adapter.

So pretty much on par for GPH. Goodness forbid these jokers ever get their act together.

IMHO, Unless you love MAME on TV or something, and need extra USB Joypad/HD/Ect... get a cable or something.

This is NOT worth $49. Mabey $4.9

Really there are $5 Hubs made better than this.

Series-8 said:
I just got the cradle. It sucks.

Flawed, Flawed, Flawed. :( :eek:

The EXT (bottom one) cover Blocks the connector from actually working. So out of the box, it does not work.

The power requirements, don't list polarity of the MISSING adapter.

So pretty much on par for GPH. Goodness forbid these jokers ever get their act together.

IMHO, Unless you love MAME on TV or something, and need extra USB Joypad/HD/Ect... get a cable or something.

This is NOT worth $49. Mabey $4.9

Really there are $5 Hubs made better than this.
My Dev BOB/Crucible combo works just fine ... isn't it a shame; we STILL haven't gotten a straight answer about the AC adapter requirements .. I genuinely wanted to get one of these to keep in my desk drawer at work.

:(/10

mater79 said:
Hello !
I'm new on this board, and i'm french ; so please excuse my mistakes !!
It seems that i'm the only on french board to have bought a cradle, so i've a question i don't find answer on the web : i've to put a power supply on the cradle to plug my 2 HDD (160G and 200G) because my GP2X MK2 don't recognize them yet. I've an universal adaptator but i don't know where's the positive on the jack : is it on the center ?
Thank you to be clear !
Re: The HD's. Make sure they are formatted to FAT32 as the GP2x does not recognise NTFS.

I'm sure they're formatted to FAT32 since i use Linux on my laptop. The cradle's notice says that i "MUST use ... AC adapter ... in order to use external hard disk devices". That's why i want to know the polarity i have to use.

This is getting painful. I keep checking the boards every 30 mins... someone *must* know what polarity the powersupply must be :(

Or have I got it wrong, is it simply a case of trying it out and seeing what works? I'm just paranoid I'm going to fry the circuits.

I've fried my first GP2X testing an adapter polarity, that's why i won't test on the cradle !!

On another thread Neil wrote this: "I can confirm that the bare circuit board BOB uses a centre negative connection, but it is rated 1A @ 3.3V"
I'll give it a go tonight and post if it works.

Someome will have to dismantle the cradle, and trace the connection from the adaptor plug TO a USB port...

Thats the more reliable method than waiting for GPH to do anything.

It is a complete mystery to me why they could botch the cradle like this, considering how much time they had to perfect it.

Frankly I don't see why a simple cable + modified HUB + A/V was not made in a few months...

Ha! In a weird twist of fate, I accidently just plugged a powersupply into my gp2x with the wrong polarity and fried it!

:.(

oh well, guess I'll just have to buy another one, and the cradle will have to wait.

Godmil said:
Ha! In a weird twist of fate, I accidently just plugged a powersupply into my gp2x with the wrong polarity and fried it!

:.(

oh well, guess I'll just have to buy another one, and the cradle will have to wait.
A reverse polarity fried GP2X is easy enough to fix - check the Wiki and buy yourself a soldering iron if you don't have one already.

Where exactly can i find it ?? Because i've fried my first GP2X some month ago.
Godmil > Have you tried the adapter on the cradle ?
I'm sorry for your GP2X !!

Back