The Communication Cube

I kinda wanna get back into researching my family, but it’s $40 for a month of research at Ancestry.com, so I’d better be sure before I do it. My problem is, I can trace my patrilineal line back to a guy named James May Taylor, but Ancestry.com and familysearch.org disagree on who his father is. Even worse, I have reason to believe they may both be wrong. Working with such a common surname sucks.

who his father is

xPBANSRF.jpg

@TeDaDeS Where’s the Gamescom 2022 thread?

Reactions: rSl
Hey, have any of you guys heard of WikiTree? It’s one big family tree for the entire human race, so it’s like familysearch.org except more accurate and less Mormon. One thing that makes WikiTree better than familysearch.org is the inclusion of DNA test info from descendants, to help confirm relationships. Anyway, just wanted to bring it up since I’ve been going back and forth between that site and Ancestry ever since I resubscribed to Ancestry.

Hey, have any of you guys heard of WikiTree? It’s one big family tree for the entire human race, so it’s like familysearch.org except more accurate and less Mormon. One thing that makes WikiTree better than familysearch.org is the inclusion of DNA test info from descendants, to help confirm relationships. Anyway, just wanted to bring it up since I’ve been going back and forth between that site and Ancestry ever since I resubscribed to Ancestry.
Sound nice. While I actually like these initiatives the pessimist in me also thinks it's probably a bad idea to have a definitive list of who's related to who. It could be easily be abused to randomly punish relatives for the sin of being related.
You already see this behavior online regarding online-shoppers, that bought items at the 'wrong' store, they hack the store and leak and harass those shoppers.
But I guess at this day and age it might be silly to assume privacy is still going to be a thing. People don't oppose this trend, they volunteer to participate. I guess they are all optimistic.

Saw today the movie where they tried to make a successor of a famous Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill Movie, you know whit the Buggy and the Park and the Gangsterboss and the Scene whit the Chor , and the Motorbike Fight ^^ „Zwei wie Pech und Schwefel“ from the 1970thes

Well it got a lot of shitstorm from the Fans of the Original Movie but I found it not that bad,
But they used quite some ideas from the Original Movie like the Bike Fight, but it wasnt that good as the old one.. ,

I think if your last watch of the original, was a long time ago, and you don’t remember that much, it s much better , but it’s far away from the old movie./

Today someone on WikiTree added sources to 16 of the relatives I created pages for. In retrospect, I probably should have had sources when I created those pages. It's nice that people are willing to help me out for free though.

My mother's page still has no source, but that's because you can't find urns on Find a Grave Index. Makes me think, ancestry in India must be hard to trace due to all the cremations.

ancestry in India must be hard to trace due to all the cremations.

In Norway there're a lot of electric cars, but even in places where there're currently few, there are many electric motorbikes.
And apparently they won't have to be new. An inventor is trying to commercialize conversion kits for scooters and mopeds, to replace their 50 cc combustion engines with an electric engine and a battery you can remove and bring home for charging. I'm not a mechanical engineer or a business manager or investor, but looks much more efficient than scrapping the old motorbike and buying a new electric motorbike.
If we're going to have as many cars as now but electric, I doubt the electric grid can be upgraded. But we'll have fewer, maybe many fewer.
As California is starting to show. Authorities banned combustion cars from 2035 and then are asking people not all to charge their electric cars from 16:00 to 21:00 with all the air conditioners and stuff on. What do people do in Norway? They have more electric cars don't they? They don't have California's heat but there must be cold in winter, I guess they burn fossil fuels for heating and so the grid isn't so stressed ? Or do they have a stronger grid ?
Edit: contrary opinion.

Last edited:
On that page search for "Norway".
Well, yes hydro is great although it depends on your climate and that is changing.
But I wasn't asking about sources of energy, but about the grid. I can of think sustanable sources of energy are reasonable ot achieve, maybe not fast enough, maybe not cheap (because of storage), etc. But it should be doable. But it's not the same to have houses spending
electricity for lights and cooking and maybe stoves than having an electric car in every doorway/garage.
Distributed generation helps (like solar panels in every roof) but is intermitent. Hydro is more on demand, but it is not distributed, electricity is generated in a few big plants and needs transport to many houses, so it is not enough to build more dams and turbines. One needs beefier cables in the last mile too. So unless that was already oversized, you'd need to replace all power lines.

Back