The Communication Cube

He is happy whit the Android Pad, and the Win Pad is quite OLD anyway... so i dont see a reason why i should recover it yet..
I forgott one Microsoft Device i would like to recover someday: My XBOX ONEX, i know i had it recover when Amazon brought a Soccer Game Live, but it refused to work: The Stream was whyrd, the Console dit often reboot, or i wait for a third XBOX Series Modell: Whit Disk Drive but whitout the Power of the Series X..

He is happy whit the Android Pad, and the Win Pad is quite OLD anyway... so i dont see a reason why i should recover it yet..
I forgott one Microsoft Device i would like to recover someday: My XBOX ONEX, i know i had it recover when Amazon brought a Soccer Game Live, but it refused to work: The Stream was whyrd, the Console dit often reboot, or i wait for a third XBOX Series Modell: Whit Disk Drive but whitout the Power of the Series X..
Weirdly enough the One X has more memory (12GB RAM), so the backwards compatibility on Series X (16GB RAM) uses the One X (10GB) game while the Series S (10GB) uses the One S (8GB) version.
Due to this the One X might sometimes render a game on a high resolution then the Series S. Obviously the Series-S will have some more horsepower to keep the frame-rates stable.
Digital Foundry recently published a video on youtube regarding an SSD in the One X compared to the Series S to see how much they would differ:

So fixing the One X might not be such a bad deal.

I always had an inkling that VLC could do a lot more than what I used it for. Played around with it all night, taking all the stumbling blocks involved - codecs, muxers, cmd scripting - and can now select a screen region using OBS Studio, start its plugin OBS-Camera, and have that act as dshow device streaming Desktop audio and the selected screen region to any device that also has VNC with one click.
During work hours I have a small always-on-top video player in the corner of my main screen. Out of work hours I have video fullscreen on my 2nd monitor. So I created two scenes in OBS for the respective screen regions. Now when I go to prepare food, answer nature's call or do some quick soldering in another room, I just mute the main speakers, click my script and walk off with my Android. On the phone it's just one click to reconnect to the stream.
The quality is pretty amazing at about 2MBit. Even that slow ass Raspberry Pi 3B+ can decode it pretty well, almost stutter-free.

Thinking about fixing an SBC with screen and distributed audio mode speakers to my throne room door.

BTW if you like playing around with Raspberries, try Dietpi. It's a pretty cool distro, but I could not get VNC to work on it, which is a shame. It has so much cool stuff on offer, even an idiot-proof function to move your root fs to another device. Run Pi off USB SSD, or a stick, no problemo.

By the other way - some German politician wants to have Apple and Google ban Telegram from their stores.

Does anybody have an inkling why a USB GPS/GLONASS USB stick would need a battery on board?

U-blox7 GPS GLONASS USB Stick.jpg

GPS devices can be speeded up quite dramatically by keeping a list of the three closest satellites. Many phones precaculate this these days from a database of access points and locations to estimate it's location which when you also know the orbital characteristics of the satellites allows you to predict which ones will be overhead, and specifically what frequency they're putting out their time code on. Whether it just keeps a real time clock updated so that assuming you haven't changed coasts/countries since you last powered it up, it can predict which satellites would be overhead if you hadn't moved too far.

GPS devices can be speeded up quite dramatically by keeping a list of the three closest satellites. Many phones precaculate this these days from a database of access points and locations to estimate it's location which when you also know the orbital characteristics of the satellites allows you to predict which ones will be overhead, and specifically what frequency they're putting out their time code on. Whether it just keeps a real time clock updated so that assuming you haven't changed coasts/countries since you last powered it up, it can predict which satellites would be overhead if you hadn't moved too far.
Indeed, I assume it's to keep memory alive that contains the almanac. If lost it either it can be downloaded (via internet), or it has to be done via GPS itself which can be really slow (I think it was ~3min minimum).
If it wasn't the memory my second guess would be to keep a clock alive for some internal controller, but I would put my bet on memory.

Setting up the IPhone 12 Mini was quite straight forward: Luckly the 6s had some Charge left, so a lot of the process was automatically, the only issues whe ran in where the Mercedes Adapter which needed to put out and back in to get to be again In pairing mode, and the Online Banking App, but there whe need new codes which will come later next week hopefully..
and I don’t know why but Safari opened up 500 tabs on both phones, I can’t imagine he made this himself bevor as a 6s shouldn’t be fast enough to keep 500 Tabs open, maybe something was causing the history to open up..
so I had to touch close 500 tabs … it’s about the same phone as mine, but a bit smaller , whit 5 instead of 4G, 2 Hours more Waterproof nes , but 15 hours less Audio Playback..

Indeed, I assume it's to keep memory alive that contains the almanac. If lost it either it can be downloaded (via internet), or it has to be done via GPS itself which can be really slow (I think it was ~3min minimum).
If it wasn't the memory my second guess would be to keep a clock alive for some internal controller, but I would put my bet on memory.
Would that explain the long time it took to get a first connection?

Would that explain the long time it took to get a first connection?
The time to first fix for a cold start is typically between 2 to 4 minutes, a warm start 45 seconds, and a hot start 22 seconds. In older hardware where satellite search is slower, a cold start may take more than the full 12.5 minutes.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix
His new studio is insane, looks very good.

And on top: the almanac is used for coarse orbit information of GPS-satellites, information to transform GPS time to UTC and an ionospheric (Earth's upper atmosphere) model for coarse correction for signal delays (which improves accuracy).
So if you have the almanac your GPS receiver can calculate the visible satellites for a certain time slot (most of todays hardware can do this very good and don't need the almanac for this), new information from those satellites is needed to know the calculate the position (ephemeris) which is send in a navigation message each ~30seconds and this information is valid for ~4 hours. So assuming your GPS receiver is a modern one, it probably stores this ionospheric model, ephemeris data and has hardware to determine the coarse locations.

Fixed a few links and speed limits around the local school district on OpenStreetMap. Maybe the attribute wrongly set to 50 instead of 30 was the reason for a few of the neighbours here always driving too fast :mad:

Fixed a few links and speed limits around the local school district on OpenStreetMap. Maybe the attribute wrongly set to 50 instead of 30 was the reason for a few of the neighbours here always driving too fast :mad:
I wish it was so easy, but thank you anyway.
Btw, I've heard in Spain they're requiring all new cars sold to automatically limit its speed to the road speed limit, and people are complaining that the drivers should drive, not the car, it it might even be dangerous in special situations.
The cars should have GPS to know position and speed but where are they going to get the speed limits info from ? cell data conections mandatory in cars ? cameras reading traffic signs (that's vulnerable to graffitti attacks, beyond GPS attacks) ?
Are other countries also requiring this ?

Where do they even get speed limits from? In some places the speed limits seem to be dangerously low, seemingly causing unnecessary traffic congestions. I wonder if there is some science to it or if it is all just done randomly. Probably the latter, considering how rule making seems to work in the Netherlands. I remember a few months ago where our our prime minister (IIRC) seemed to be accidentally too honest, admitting to having just randomly made up a rule which happened to be pretty harmful to a large portion of the working class. Of course, it could just be that covid-19 rules are made arbitrarily while traffic rules are actually thought out.

Close I have a stretch of curvy A road through the woods that recently got a motorcycles-only limit to 70 km/h. Due to mostly motorcycle accidents caused by speeding. Now cars are still allowed to go 100 km/h. Many will not, because it is quite curvy and you can't see ahead far enough. Yet some will, and will go even faster in their sporty BMWs, Audis and what have you. So they'll want to pass the biker in the very few spots where it's narrowly possible. That makes it even more dangerous riding your motorcycle there if you get one of those knobheads behind you. I've started avoiding that one, it's a shame though.

I wish it was so easy, but thank you anyway.
Btw, I've heard in Spain they're requiring all new cars sold to automatically limit its speed to the road speed limit, and people are complaining that the drivers should drive, not the car, it it might even be dangerous in special situations.
The cars should have GPS to know position and speed but where are they going to get the speed limits info from ? cell data conections mandatory in cars ? cameras reading traffic signs (that's vulnerable to graffitti attacks, beyond GPS attacks) ?
Are other countries also requiring this ?
You can't safely pass without being able to, for a short while, go significantly faster than the other vehicle. I will accelerate to at least 120 passing a car that goes, say, 80 km/h in a 100 zone. If not more. Automatic throttling would be terrible.
These developments aren't good. My vehicle needs to be under my control 100% of the time. Only I should decide where it drives, and only I should know about it unless I'm seen.

Edit: How would I get satellite imagery from by GPS position on a raspi? I can't find a way of adding such in navit. Will look into other programs.
QGIS is amazing, there's hundreds of interesting plugins
related https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Last edited:
Back