The Communication Cube

Now that boosters have essentially only been approved for people 65 and older in the US, I've been thinking about one prophetic NDE I read before. He mentions most of the population dying, with the survivors being either very young or very old. It lines up with what would happen if a new variant hit after old people got boosters, but not anyone else.

Interestingly, years later I would see the same brick building on the edge of the same meadow. In this �dream�, �vision� or whatever you want to call it, I had died as an old man sometime in the future. The oldest man in the county, if not country! This wasn�t much of an accomplishment; I sensed, as a long-established fact, that most of the population had died in some catastrophe. Generally speaking , the survivors were young adults and a few very elderly like me.
Children were rarely born. Infants who survived didn�t often live very long. Everyone lived a largely agrarian lifestyle in funny looking, round huts. They wore simple, tan colored robes. I was the largest landowner in the �state� and its richest man [though the concept of a �nation-state� seemed to have died along with the electricity]. This wasn�t something to be proud of but rather almost something to be ashamed of.
The young adults (there were few middle aged people) almost looked with pity on the elderly--survivors of a bygone, more selfish, more dangerous era, still struggling to come to terms with a new reality� unwilling or unable to leave the �old� ways of thinking behind. This wasn�t to say the new era was Utopian: personal relationships seemed tentative, less passionate, almost self-absorbed or selfish; modern conveniences were a memory; modern medicine was nonexistent. A great sadness permeated EVERYTHING. People rarely laughed; when they DID, the others looked as if they couldn�t understand what was so funny or thought the person �odd�.
I seemed to spend most of my time immersed in running my farm or giving answers to infrequently asked questions of how things used to be. Oddly, the questions (sometimes tinged with envy) grew more out of a sense of boredom and mere curiosity rather than any desire to rebuild the world. Eventually, I grew weary of this drudgery and decided to end it. I somehow �knew� that suicide (according to the priests) was not a damnable offense against God; I �knew� that Humanity had received long-hidden knowledge of God that did NOT forbid suicide. God simply preferred that we live out our lives. If we came Home early, well�that was okay too. But not something one undertook lightly, because it saddened God. I gathered my son, his wife and what few friends I had and gave a farewell speech to a subdued crowd. I sensed that they looked on me with pity that bordered on the resentful. One or two even seemed to look forward to my death. Most were�again-- strangely unaffected.
So, according to custom, I took poison and lay down on a smooth, cold table specially dedicated to the purpose inside the brick building [they called it the Death House, a �fitting relic from the past�]. I felt sleepy. No more pain from aching limbs or missing loved ones. My daughter-in-law shed a few �crocodile tears� as my son watched me pass away. I knew deep down, he�d miss me. I floated from my body and watched as my son and his wife hugged, then shuffle out of the room. It got dark. I don�t remember anything after that. I can�t communicate in words just how REAL�utterly, physically REAL this vision was. I could SMELL the cow manure, the wet leaves, the dry thatched roof. I could FEEL the warmth of the fire from the chimney as surely as I feel the keys on my computer�s keyboard right now. Dream or vision, this was a weird one!

Peony: Oh they look cool, let's watch the video to find out how to make them. :happy:
*We start watching the video.^
Me: Boobs. <3
Peony: Okay we're not watching this anymore. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Next week Saturday is the last Saturday whe have open on Saturday, so after my Radio Alarm Clock wakes me off whit Rock Radio (Radio Bob) I can change the Alarm so it’s only Monday to Friday,
It’s a bit of a shame this thing can’t get put on 6 Days, just 7 Days or 5 Days..
so i get wake up on Sunday too ^^

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Nice, on the German Version of IOS15, they use the male/female/diverse thing they are now diskussing on social media and the politics..
in the Musik App its now "Künstler"innen" , this is called "gendern"

Much more usefull for me: finally the Apple Watch got a Watchface where you can chose between a "Analog" or a Digital Time in the Center..
something i dit critices since i use these Watches..

Because I ditnt buy the new Switch Oled, and I made some good money by selling some honey, I just Preeordered the new Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11 Signatur Edition:
6,8 * I should measure my Old Kindle Oasis, to see if this would fit my Pocket ^^ but it’s being released in December..

EDIT: A ok the new Kindle gets released in November, but its Case will get shipped in Oktober so i will have a Kindle Case on my Shelf for one month which i dont need..
I just meassured it out: 6,8 ° is also possible, but a bit bigger than the 6 ° from my old Paperwhite..

IBM does the same for AIX, where you can get extended-extended support, for the right price of course (yeah, very expensive for usually very little support as AIX is very stable). I guess their build toolchain is more stable and thus it's easier to backport bugfixes than that of:
RHEL just does it with 2 years, but you can upgrade to the next point release (but if that doesnt work, then you are fubar, because there is no support for downgrading - so you must snapshot before the upgrade)

RedHat defends it's low amount of support time because "development is done always on the newest version", so their priority is to keep up.

The bottom line is that in order to keep up with the rapid innovation provided by the Open Source development models, Red Hat must continually move forward. Upstream develops on upstream. It is a tremendous amount of work to take a security fix to new upstream code, and modify that to work on a 3 year old code base. Therefore, Red Hat is a balance between the rapid upstream and the predictable update models needed by enterprise and businesses.

Which is not always the case because once a server is there, it will stay at that version because there is no guarantee that everything keeps working when going up to the next point release, and downgrading is iffy. And as such, you have a plethora of different versions of the filesystem, then actually develop on the lowest version because: compatibility. Lots of gnutools are backwards compatible; so if it works on an oldy, it will (probably) run on a newy. (or not, as some binaries changed directory from version to version, so they are somewhere else, and not in the minimal PATH, so you need to look for them first or extend your PATH before running) (from /sbin to /usr/sbin)
Red hat is not lying though, much new software actually only works, or is supported on, new versions only. It's not Windows, where old exe's usually still work.

for the right price of course
Ofc it’s different for businesses but I put that link here as I thought it might be interesting for private users here as, according to the article, the extended support is free for them on up to three devices per private user.

IBM does the same for AIX, where you can get extended-extended support, for the right price of course (yeah, very expensive for usually very little support as AIX is very stable).
Stability these days is not really about how long a system can run without crashing, it's the time it can run before it gets a security fix (normally) backported to the kernel it's running. I don't actually know what the kernel AIX runs is called but it's not linux, but I'll bet the IBM engineers inspect every linux patch to see if it applies to the kernel in AIX.
It's not Windows, where old exe's usually still work.
That depends to a degree on whether your a.out's include their libs static or dynamic. It seems my copy of VVVVVV from 2011ish still runs because it's statically embedded almost everything it needs, or perhaps it's just been luck about what it does actually depend on. All I can say without inspecting it further is that it still runs on my cutting edge archlinux systems.

it's the time it can run before it gets a security fix (normally) backported to the kernel it's running
Well there are 2 points I would like to make:
  • RedHat's RHEL (which was bought by IBM) has Centos Stream now that is a moving target, thus fast updates like you point out, but this guy explains better why what feels less stable:
  • As CentOS was killed a year ago (RIP), and end of life is nearing, now is the time to profile. So gaining the trust of the IT engineers and through them, seep into the businesses. That is what Canonical is doing: The opposite of RHEL, to gain fans and later down the line, business. Pretty clever.
Now hear me out: What I know from bleeding-edge distro's is that they get the newest software, software fixes and... software bugs. But "stable" for me is less software/feature updates, but mostly security patches (which yes, need to be backported, which costs effort, time and thus money... which somebody will have to pay)

So... basically it's a win-win situation:
The company that makes the camera's, software and installs it in the vans win. And Amazon gets cheaper delivery, thus a higher, well deserved, revenue.

Reminds me of the: Faster, More secure, cheaper... choose 2.

I think we have a few more years and the steering wheel will disappear. The human will do only the delivery, but not the driving. And the camera will berate the AI that is driving.
Without steering wheel the truck can not be stolen (although the content still can). The AI can drive the insane hours truck drivers drive to just get by (competition is fierce and to get to destination in the appointed times you need to pee while you drive... yup adult diapers, just like the cashier in a certain supermarket).

I can't complain though, I get one toilet break during my 8 hours workshift.

Back