The Communication Cube

the "Explainable and unexplainable share in gender wage gap" should interest you, the working hour gaps are taken in account in the "explainable factor"...
I know, but sorry, this line alone doesn't convince me (besides that I'm not Swiss anyway).

Then dig into the furnished data, they even have them published in german...

I think the salary gap does exist, but not because there's an explicit intent to discriminate women. 

It exists because nowadays in many companies the only way to get a raise is to be assertive: you have to demand it in a way that's taken seriously, threaten to quit, etc. 

This isn't just a women's issue. Many soft-spoken men suffer from this as well. I suffered from this as well: it's only when I had to get raise that I realized that by being nice and agreeable I was getting shafted by my company.

What makes it a women's issue, is that being assertive enough is much easier when you're fueled by testosterone and when you have an education that tells you that's how you should act. Traditional male education favors assertive behavior, while assertive girls are often discouraged, and called "bossy". That doesn't mean we should only focus on women: getting companies to stop promoting only the most aggressive employees is also a necessary step that would benefit both men and women. 

I would also imagine that the risks of multiple months of absence in case of birth versus the legal 1day mens have here in switzerland is probably a good logic reason too...

edit: replaced good with logic, as it's definitely not something good...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the salary gap does exist, but not because there's an explicit intent to discriminate women. 

It exists because nowadays in many companies the only way to get a raise is to be assertive: you have to demand it in a way that's taken seriously, threaten to quit, etc. 

This isn't just a women's issue. Many soft-spoken men suffer from this as well. I suffered from this as well: it's only when I had to get raise that I realized that by being nice and agreeable I was getting shafted by my company.

What makes it a women's issue, is that being assertive enough is much easier when you're fueled by testosterone and when you have an education that tells you that's how you should act. Traditional male education favors assertive behavior, while assertive girls are often discouraged, and called "bossy". That doesn't mean we should only focus on women: getting companies to stop promoting only the most aggressive employees is also a necessary step that would benefit both men and women. 
I agree, you get nothing without demanding it and that's sad, but this is a personal problem and not gender related.

------------

Something funny for today:

Richard Dawkins Learns About #Gamergate After Finding Himself Targeted By Block Bot

According to the Block Bot’s website, Dawkins is listed for being a racist, “rape apologist,” and transphobe.

This did not sit well with Dawkins as he made multiple Tweets regarding the situation
SJW madness, yeeha.

I agree, you get nothing without demanding it and that's sad, but this is a personal problem and not gender related.

Imagine that if suddenly, the conditions to get something weren't to demand it but to cry and talk about your feelings. That would still be a personal problem, but don't you think that in that case, women (who are encouraged by society to show their feelings and talk about them) would get an edge over men (who are taught by society that they should be tough and hide their feelings and called sissies when they don't)?

What would be the problem then? That you don't get anything without crying or talking about your feelings, or that men are taught not to do it?

Imagine that if suddenly, the conditions to get something weren't to demand it but to cry and talk about your feelings. That would still be a personal problem, but don't you think that in that case, women (who are encouraged by society to show their feelings and talk about them) would get an edge over men (who are taught by society that they should be tough and hide their feelings and called sissies when they don't)?

What would be the problem then? That you don't get anything without crying or talking about your feelings, or that men are taught not to do it?
It still wouldn't be gender related discrimination no.

Everybody has the chance to emancipate oneself from social norms.

Misandric discrimination is very real and a fact in many places while misogynist discrimination is often just an unproven theory in today's western culture.

The human/social part is one hour in. Then it gets interesting, kind of like a longing or recognition of peers... I liked the part where lecturers actually also lecture and teach kids. And there are crypto puzzle challenges, and groups that try to hack a computer in 15 minutes (with a real door (but no walls), they have to hack open to get into "the office"). Or workshops for people who are soldering for the first time. So many disciplines, I never knew it was so diverse.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ctQOmjQyYg?feature=oembed

4cd2ab636cf871bb0981776130da0b17.jpg

On IRC for example.

Back