The Box

A quick translation into french here

I hope i didn't break anything by doing it in haste; and some texts may be irrelevant/inappropriate because i didn't always knew what it was meant for but anyways :)

edit : typo
2nd edit : i forgot to swap to UTF16 the following characters : é ê à and don't have time for it now, sorry

Thanks for the translation! I took the liberty to use the octet byte abbreviations in the translation file, because that's what I saw everyone use in the northern regions of France last time I was there. If it is more common to use the actual byte abbreviations in France today, feel free to tell me, and I'll change it back. The commit is here, by the way: http://github.com/dflemstr/box/commit/f68980b45209f47cbb373e82eb167fbd06e89cf8

And yeah, UTF-16-style escapes can be a bummer, but a search-replace did the trick. (French's gotta be the only language that uses an e avec un accent circumflex... I had to look it up because I couldn't remember the code for it...)

EDIT: Quick update: the repository thing has a small regression, will fix it ASAP.

So, here is a new version, i checked the spelling, corrected some typo errors etc.
You're right, we use "octet" instead of "byte" but ko, Mo and Go :p

I looked around the site, it seems to be good :) but I'm unable to register with my usual address which ends in @free.fr (free is my ISP)

Reyhn said:
So, here is a new version, i checked the spelling, corrected some typo errors etc.
You're right, we use "octet" instead of "byte" but ko, Mo and Go :p

I looked around the site, it seems to be good :) but I'm unable to register with my usual address which ends in @free.fr (free is my ISP)
I'll look into this email issue, there have been multiple complaints already so something's gotta be wrong.
And the translation file is now updated, thanks again. And if you wonder why I replace " !" by "!", it's because I want to avoid text areas that look like this:
Code:
Le PXML ne contient aucune   |
information sur l'application|
!                            |
Instead I want this:
Code:
Le PXML ne contient aucune   |
information sur              |
l'application!               |
Which (arguably) looks better.

EDIT: E-mail issue fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
EvilDragon said:
If you ever need some webspace on our server for that repo, let me know :D
You know that I'll hold you to that! I'll be looking for web space once the app is finished, and if you have a host with a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, H2 or Oracle supported), a folder with free space and a Java Webapp container (e.g. Jetty (preferred), Tomcat, JBoss etc), I'll be glad to accept any offers!

Well, I got a dedicated debian server which I setup and administer myself. It hast 8 cores and 24GB RAM... should be enough for the beginning :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:
EvilDragon said:
If you ever need some webspace on our server for that repo, let me know :D
You know that I'll hold you to that! I'll be looking for web space once the app is finished, and if you have a host with a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, H2 or Oracle supported), a folder with free space and a Java Webapp container (e.g. Jetty (preferred), Tomcat, JBoss etc), I'll be glad to accept any offers!

Well, I got a dedicated debian server which I setup and administer myself. It hast 8 cores and 24GB RAM... should be enough for the beginning :)
Well, for comparison: the site currently runs on a 1 Ghz processor with 512 MiB RAM (It is in a VM so I give it limited resources because I'm hosting other stuff as well... The host machine is a 3Ghz Pentium 4 machine with 4GiB of RAM so yeah, really modern stuff :p )

So, performance is not an issue right now, and I haven't even started optimizing my code yet; expect a 8x reduction in response times when I'm done optimizing everything (see how fast http://dflemstr.dyndns.org:8088/repository.json loads; that's how fast the rest of the site should load). I should try hosting it on a Pandora when I'm done; it might actually work! ;)

Uh, did I understood this in the way that we then have 3 ressources of PND Files? Craigix App-Store, EDs File Archive and your site?
Hm, so I have to check 3 sites to be sure to see all possible new Files and File-versions (if one site don't has one or another only an old version or another site exclussive stuff...)
...things get complicated... :unsure:

dflemstr said:
Well, for comparison: the site currently runs on a 1 Mhz processor with 512 MiB RAM

The site is blazingly fast compared to the server's virtual hardware! ;)

fusion_power said:
Uh, did I understood this in the way that we then have 3 ressources of PND Files? Craigix App-Store, EDs File Archive and your site?
Hm, so I have to check 3 sites to be sure to see all possible new Files and File-versions (if one site don't has one or another only an old version or another site exclussive stuff...)

More like this is meant to replace things like the App-Store. Although I don't know whether it actually will or not.

Btw, has anyone put together a command line utility for using this repository from the Pandora yet?

-God Ginrai

B-ZaR said:
The site is blazingly fast compared to the server's virtual hardware! ;)
Oops, typo fixed.

God Ginrai said:
Btw, has anyone put together a command line utility for using this repository from the Pandora yet?
If nobody else does, I can do it, but it'll be a Java app because I don't have time to muck around with C to set up JSON parsers, version solvers etc... It's much easier to do abstract stuff like that in Scala (and it'll be efficient too). Might write a C app though once I'm done with the actual webapp.

fusion_power said:
It's in the spirit of the Pandora. Open.
It's all about options.
If you don't like the way something is done and want to try an alternative, give it a shot.
In the end they should all end up with the same PNDs, it's just about where you prefer to get it from.

The main difference could be, paid for apps, or donations. I'm not sure if dflemstr plans to support that.

Na-Noo said:
The main difference could be, paid for apps, or donations. I'm not sure if dflemstr plans to support that.
Well, I could very easily support this. I have a PayPal module ready to be used, and generating user-specific URLs is not a problem. There are three reasons why I haven't implemented this yet, though:
  • It would be a PITA (with authentication mechanisms etc) to support payments via an appstore client/"package manager", and since The Box supports repositories, I'd have to leave out pay-for applications from that repository.
  • I didn't know that there was an interest for this.
  • Once you bring money into the picture, things get complicated, and I don't want to be responsible for paid products.

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
If nobody else does, I can do it, but it'll be a Java app because I don't have time to muck around with C to set up JSON parsers, version solvers etc... It's much easier to do abstract stuff like that in Scala (and it'll be efficient too). Might write a C app though once I'm done with the actual webapp.

o_O Does the Pandora have a JVM that I don't know about?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
It doesn't? I thought that JamVM was in there... I'll use Python or something then, or just straight C (it has to be done sooner or later), but not today, no time.

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
It doesn't? I thought that JamVM was in there... I'll use Python or something then, or just straight C (it has to be done sooner or later), but not today, no time.

Did you already started with this?
If not focuss on the webpage, i'm currently starting to develop an C++ programm.

retn said:
dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:

Did you already started with this?
If not focuss on the webpage, i'm currently starting to develop an C++ programm.
I've not started yet, do as you wish ;)

News in The Box, build 9001 (or more): Sorting.

Go to http://dflemstr.dyndns.org:8088/applications/list and try it out (don't worry, performance improvements for /applications/list is next on the TODO list).
I'd like comments on:
  • Whether the UI is cluttered now that I've introduced sorting
  • If the sorting pickers are OK, or if something more touchscreen friendly should be used (concrete ideas please!)

Also: I still don't know what to add for the user pages! That's the last thing that needs to be added before I release box-1.0 (unless something else comes up)! Suggestions are welcome!

To fill this space :

dflemstr said:
Filler

I don't know what to put here yet...

Maybe an overview over which applications that you have downloaded also exist in newer reincarnations (aka: versions).

Or what about some other kind of overview? Who knows what the future may bring.

May I suggest ?
- A list of application that can be upgraded (based on last download)
- a list of application I may like (new, up rated and in category I use)
- a list of answer of our last comments

By the way, great job :)

Back