The Box

You can stack floats vertically by clearing floats. Add an element with CSS property "clear:both" between the floating elements. Doesn't work for every scenario, but helps at times.

EDIT: Also, number 1.

B-ZaR said:
You can stack floats vertically by clearing floats. Add an element with CSS property "clear:both" between the floating elements. Doesn't work for every scenario, but helps at times.
Yes I know, but the problem is that I currently have something like:
Code:
<span style="float: left; display: block; width: 100px;">Short text</span>
<span style="float: left; display: block; width: 100px;">Long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long text.</span>
<span style="float: left; clear: left; display: block; width: 200px;">Short text</span><!-- should be precisely under the other short text -->

...and there are graceful and simple solutions to fix this, but I just went with displaying an ellipsis instead; much simpler.

Also; I've decided to use styling option 3 which you can witness live at the testing URL (http://dflemstr.dyndns.org:8088 like it always has been)

By the way, I released Box version 1.0 a while ago, and will see whether I can get it hosted somewhere ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Also; I've decided to use styling option 3 which you can witness live at the testing URL (http://dflemstr.dyndns.org:8088 like it always has been)

By the way, I released Box version 1.0 a while ago, and will see whether I can get it hosted somewhere ;)
Meh, I still don't like that font, it's too decorative and imo should not be used for much besides headers and titles (it looks really nice in the navigation bar, though)
What about one of these fonts: http://code.google.com/webfonts (Cantarell, Molengo and especially Nobile look nice for example).
Edit: Heh there you've got it: ;)
http://code.google.com/webfonts/family?family=Nobile#description said:
"Nobile" is designed to work with the technologies of digital screens and handheld devices without losing the distinctive look more usually found in fonts designed for printing. Going back to William Morris's baseline "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful", the aim was to design a font that could function well, have good legibility on screen yet also be good loooking, not only at larger display sizes but also right down to small text sizes.

Also small update on the translation: http://pastebin.com/ZpcVg64r

And as you were mentioning it: Will this URL stay the same or will you get a "proper" top-level domain when it gets hosted somewhere?
I don't want to report about until you consider it's ready for the public.

foxblock out

PS: Besides from that it's a really nice and clean looking and working site, I love it! (thought I did not mention this before)

foxblock said:
Meh, I still don't like that font, it's too decorative and imo should not be used for much besides headers and titles (it looks really nice in the navigation bar, though)
What about one of these fonts: http://code.google.com/webfonts (Cantarell, Molengo and especially Nobile look nice for example).
Oh so *that* is what you're looking for, now I get it. Well Nobile isn't constant-stemmed so it looks weird when you use it with any other color than black, but there are many fonts with the same characteristics, like the Aller font family (see http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Aller) so I can switch to that in a jiffy.

EDIT: Now using Aller instead! I think that I'll stick with this for now; I've done 5 font updates in the last 24 hours now :(

foxblock said:
Also small update on the translation: http://pastebin.com/ZpcVg64r
OK, hotfix for 1.0 on the way ("git flow hotfix start german-update")

EDIT: You only changed one line! Oh well :p

foxblock said:
And as you were mentioning it: Will this URL stay the same or will you get a "proper" top-level domain when it gets hosted somewhere?
I don't want to report about until you consider it's ready for the public.
It will definitely change, I've sent an email to ED since he offered to host it for me, and he won't be using my domain for sure. The URL leads to my home server and I wouldn't want to use that server for anything production-related, no way.

Following on the fiery thread in General, 2 cents from me. :) This is real end-user stuff. When someone lands on the home page, the first thing they're likely to want is direct access to a category. At the moment, unless I've missed something, it appears that you have to click on Applications, then find an entry in the category you want, then click that category tag.

I think people will want buttons on the main page for this. "Games", "Emus", "Networking" etc, which when clicked would display those items sorted by date (most recent first).

Ok, done! :)

I'll probably replace the links with something prettier, and I don't know which categories most people are interested in, but this is a first shot at least.

Suggestions on which categories should be prioritized? (Otherwise I'll make a 'tag cloud' kind of thing... Aka, the more applications are in a certain category, the bigger that category will appear)

(Categories available are listed here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html )

Just use the catgories built into the PND? ie. Emulators, Games (including submenu catagory).

Yes, and I already use those categories, as you can see in the application listing.

The question is which categories to put on the front page... If I simply take all categories from all PNDs, the list might get long. (there are like 170 categories defined)
So I need to somehow filter out which categories to display on the front page and that's the problem...

dflemstr said:
Yes, and I already use those categories, as you can see in the application listing.

The question is which categories to put on the front page... If I simply take all categories from all PNDs, the list might get long. (there are like 170 categories defined)
So I need to somehow filter out which categories to display on the front page and that's the problem...

Well my XFCE menu isn't 170 lines big! Which ones does that use?

SomeGuy99 said:
dflemstr said:

Well my XFCE menu isn't 170 lines big! Which ones does that use?
It uses dynamic menus, meaning that if there's an application in the "StrategyGame" category, it'll display a menu for that.

Could you add support for the screenies in the PND ?
Code:
    <previewpics>
      <pic src="screenshots/ceferino_01.jpg"/>
    </previewpics>

pretty please :)

sebt3 said:
Could you add support for the screenies in the PND ?
Code:
    <previewpics>
      <pic src="screenshots/ceferino_01.jpg"/>
    </previewpics>

pretty please :)
I don't think that I can afford extracting every single PND that is uploaded, but I'll look into it. The problem is that a server daemon normally doesn't have access to "mount" in a secure environment, and I can't get stuff out of a PND without "mount". I'll look into using "unsquashfs" and some other tool for extracting ISOs (recommendations? Remember that "mount" is forbidden).

Also: Remember that preview pictures have to have the "PNG" format, "JPG" is forbidden!

dflemstr said:
I'll look into using "unsquashfs" and some other tool for extracting ISOs (recommendations? Remember that "mount" is forbidden).
7-zip can extract ISOs. However, it can't extract individual files, only the whole volume. Unsquashfs is cool like that -- the "-e" flag allows for selected file extraction -- but it obviously only works on squashfs; I can't find a free tool to do the same for ISOs. But you're clever, I'm sure you can figure something out.

To make the site more user friendly, well basically more "new user" friendly:

Frontpage:
Make the "Browse by category" links bigger.
Display a "Popular programs" box (by number of downloads or best voted).
Also display the program's icon and not only text. Users don't care for the version number or the upload date, but want to see images, so just display the program name beneath the icon (similar to how the site-formerly-known-as-the-appstore does it).

Programs list page:
Display the pre-defined category searches here, too (the ones from the frontpage) or some pre-defines search keywords in general for that matter. People like to have it easy and when they only have to click on not type into some tiny "advanced search" box at the bottom.

foxblock out

PS: Also I disregarded your advice on the feature requests - sorry about that ;)

OK, so I'm not really at home right now so I can't do big changes, but the stuff foxblock mentioned was pretty simple so I did it over SSH.
What I didn't do was to add stuff to the application list; I don't know where there'd be room for that? A lot of stuff landed on the front page, however, and feel free to criticize the layout there; it looks crammed ;)

I added:
  • Images to applications in lists (should I really go for big icons? That eats space and I disliked that 'feature' in the thing formerly known as the AppStore)
  • Category clouds and search clouds ... popular searches and categories are bigger

So yeah did this in a hurry, let me know what you guys think.

Oh btw use Shift-F5 to get the new CSS for the clouds...

dflemstr said:
OK, so I'm not really at home right now so I can't do big changes, but the stuff foxblock mentioned was pretty simple so I did it over SSH.
What I didn't do was to add stuff to the application list; I don't know where there'd be room for that? A lot of stuff landed on the front page, however, and feel free to criticize the layout there; it looks crammed ;)

I added:
  • Images to applications in lists (should I really go for big icons? That eats space and I disliked that 'feature' in the thing formerly known as the AppStore)
  • Category clouds and search clouds ... popular searches and categories are bigger

So yeah did this in a hurry, let me know what you guys think.

Oh btw use Shift-F5 to get the new CSS for the clouds...

just to let you know your site is down.

Yeah, I'm doing stuff to it!

The site is stateless as long as you aren't logged in, so it cannot suddenly go down unless I change something on the server. So, if the server goes down, it means that something must've changed on the server, and most of the time, it's me fiddling around ;)

By the way; it's up again.

Back