Thank you for Minimenu!

dannyowelch

Still Fresh
Just wanted to thank Skeezix and DaveC for Minimenu (and the other contributions, of course). I started off my first day using XFCE since I'm a comfortable in Linux, but Minimenu is just so much nicer on a device like this IMHO. Marvelous interface with a great look and feel. Thank you both so much for the effort you put into it!

Yes, I'd also like to thank Skeezix and DaveC for MiniMenu, because it is, to be honest and in my personal opinion the best thing since sliced bread. Thank you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for me, I use the Pandora primarily for running emulators and games. They are all running fullscreen, so I have no need for a desktop environment. Minimenu is very easy to navigate with the dpad and shoulder buttons. I also seem to have better luck exiting from emulators quickly with the Pandora logo button.

It's nice to have the option though. I do like fiddling around in XFCE with the BT mouse. Feels like someone used a shrink ray on my laptop. :p

I'll probably give Minimenu a try for curiosity's sake... but I *like* the experience of having a 'ray shrinked' computer. :)

- Simplistic (Why is this a good thing?)

- Beautiful - with my backgrounds and customizations XFCE is GORGEOUS! B)

- User friendly/easy to navigate around - Taking the time to learn your way around XFCE is rewarding and easy enough once you know what you're doing, besides - unless I'm grossly mistaken it gives you more FREEDOM!

- Awesome - Sorry, I've used almost a whole bottle of AwesomeSauce in XFCE. :p

- Organized - in XFCE the organizing is up to ME!

- Easily customizable - As customizable as XFCE?

- Better than all the smartphone menus out there...imho - The Pandora is not a smartphone, it's a UMPC! ;)

Go on... try convince me again...

First.. thanks :) I'm very glad you like it :)

There is no competition -- different environments are different; you may prefer one, the other, an entirely different environment, or even multiple and switch between depending on your needs; you can run minimenu in a window or fullscreen, even within xfce, if you want to :) It really depends on the person and their needs -- if you just want a app launching or game launching environment, mmenu may be great; if you want ot run open office multitasking with a browser.. notsomuch.

That all said ..

mmenu saves memory; by default, when an app runs, mmenu exits and comes up when the app exits.

mmenu can run without X11 even; if you want to really run bare with lots of memory, boot straight to mmenu .. works fine, and most apps (ie: sdl!) will run fine without X11.

xfce doesn't really let you organize too much; the pnd recommend a category, and xfce is configured to show them a certain way; you can hack the config mind you. minimenu defaults to the same categorization (since hf5), but gives you easy tools to recategorize (or even create new nonstandard categories). minimenus overrides will then apply in xfce, since one libpnd system runs them all :)

mmenu even includes a basic directory browser (optional, default is to hide it) where you can run pnds or executables (shell scripts, raw binatry executables, etc); doesn't have copy/delete/etc in there yet, but not far off.

Theres lots of good stuff in mmenu to tweak .. some easy in the menu or using a button (to hide/show the preview artwork, which isn't available in xfce at all for example), or some harder to reach stuff in the menus or config files or skin-files .. setitng the size/spacing of icons, how many to cram onto a screen, changing fonts and colours and so on.

But its all .. if you want a simple and fast to use grid layout, mmenu is grea;t if you want a fuller features desktop, xfce (or e17 or etc/etc) are great.

Try one, if you like it, use it; most people will try one and stick with it, and thats fine :)

Really.. hitting pandora (to being up the menu), and using d-pad to cruise around the menu is not all that much different to cruising around the grid, but all in all, mmenu is faster and more pleasant for 'just running stuff' I think.

jeff

mmenu saves memory; by default, when an app runs, mmenu exits and comes up when the app exits.

mmenu can run without X11 even; if you want to really run bare with lots of memory, boot straight to mmenu .. works fine, and most apps (ie: sdl!) will run fine without X11.

xfce doesn't really let you organize too much; the pnd recommend a category, and xfce is configured to show them a certain way; you can hack the config mind you. minimenu defaults to the same categorization (since hf5), but gives you easy tools to recategorize (or even create new nonstandard categories). minimenus overrides will then apply in xfce, since one libpnd system runs them all :)

Now these are two very good reasons to use mmenu! :)

For example would Mupen run better if I booted straight into mmenu?

How about DosBox?

And I'll certainly be using mmenu to recategorize my pnds...

Thanks skeezix! :D

Thanks for mmenu. It rocks. When I run Mupen or any PSX emu I run from mmenu to improve performance.

II like minimenu too - I had lots of fun recently recatergorising and adding decriptions to everything (though you need to make /usr/pandora/mmenu/ and /usr/pandora/apps/ writeable first, or it can't create the override files). Things like web browsers are noticably more responsive when launched from minimenu rather than xfce, but I found that Quake 2 crashed a lot more.

You'd only have to modify permissions on /usr/pandora/* if you're creating ovr for apps in nand there; it creates the ovr files in the same place as the pnd-file is, so for SD based apps (most of them) should be fine. I didn't worry about NAND-based apps too much .. doh :)

Is Q2 more crashy? Or just a hunch? Given mmenu/xfce don't interplay with the app .. its weird :)

jeff

Yeah I wanted to put all the apps (including NAND ones) in one tab and all the settings in another. Also I wanted to add descriptions because I couldn't remember what things llike 'Gigolo' were. It was a bit frustrating that trying to change things had no effect, but realising it did work on a sd app tipped me off to the file permissions thing.

I just re-tried Quake 2 btw: worked from xfce, crashed from minimenu. It's by no means conclusive though, as the crashes are at random intervals, so it could just be coincidence.

Y1Y7O.png

Back