Guide: Launch Minimenu From Xfce (With Icon)

Thanks to Skeezix for the information!

Download this as a file

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Minimenu
Exec=mmwrapper -fmmenu
Icon=op-session
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Catagories=System
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
GenericName=Minimenu

Copy this text into a a text editor and save as 'minimenu.desktop'. You can name it whatever you like, but it needs the '.desktop' part at the end.

Note: I hacked this together out of another program shortcut (I never bothered to learn the correct specification!).

To put on your desktop, go to the folder where you saved the file to and right-click 'open terminal here'.

Type the following and hit enter (it will vary depending on the name you chose for your file):

Code:
sudo cp minimenu.desktop ~/Desktop

What is sudo? It means 'superuser do' and enables you to run an admin command without having to be logged in, and have all those powers all the time. For example, any script you run cannot do nasty things to your system without requiring a password from you. In this case, we had to use sudo because the areas of the filesystem used are locked out from normal users.

What is cp? Copy command, like in dos. You specify the original file first, then the destination.

What is '~/' It's the systems shorthand for your current home directory. It saves you having to type it all out or remember what user you're logged in as at the moment.

For the menu, do the same but type the following command instead:

Code:
sudo cp minimenu.desktop /usr/share/applications

i will try and make a PND for this soon. Besides which, don't your .desktop files get cleared whenever XFCE is (re)launched? I know mine do...

Pleng said:
i will try and make a PND for this soon. Besides which, don't your .desktop files get cleared whenever XFCE is (re)launched? I know mine do...

Weird. Mine stay there... are yours symbolic links? I use files.

Last edited by a moderator:
My symlinks stay. I was trying to move to .desktop files so that I could include icons. But whenever XFCE is restarted, or the Pandora rebooted, the .desktops disappear.

Hmm just a thought. Do you have any PNDs in your desktop or apps directorys? I have 1 (firefox). Perhaps the .desktop cleanup only occurs if other apps are to be populated on the desktop?

Nope it can't be that... I've tried taking firefox off the desktop (moving into menu) and still my .desktop files are removed on every reboot/restart.

I wonder why it's not happening with you...?

Pleng said:
Nope it can't be that... I've tried taking firefox off the desktop (moving into menu) and still my .desktop files are removed on every reboot/restart.

I wonder why it's not happening with you...?

Well I haven't had a working Pandora in over a month. It could be something in a recent hotfix?

You might have luck asking Skeezix, as he mentioned that libpnd is a bit of a control freak over the desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back