[testing]Grabicasa - Picasa Webalbums Grabber

KickAss

Very Active Member
Oh hey there,

so ive been tinkering for a while and here it is:
Grabicasa - A Google Picasa Webalbums downloader written in python.

This is about to be my first .pnd release and id like to have it tested by you guys.
Python self contained packaging and the PND system gave me a hard time.

Please grab the .pnd version from here.

Let me know what you think, what doesnt work or how s*** my code is :)
Thanks

PS: Many thanks go to Jürgen Rühle for his pysolfc package. I learned a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
it totally does support private albums. just enter a valid rss link (containing the authkey string). click the rss button while browsing the album in your browser to get that link.

also for testing purposes you could use the picasa username "unlvcki". they have a ton of public albums.

loading all of them into the listbox might take a while, so dont get confused if the app is not responding. i will use the progressbar for this parsing process (its actually used for the downloading process only right now) in the next update.

Quick test and i think you can publish on repo as it's working good. :)

I have used the pubblic account "unlvcki" and correctly downloaded the images on SD.

I don't have/know any private account to test.

Forgot to say that i'm using a CC pandora 256MB RAM.

awesomesauce!

thanks a lot for taking the time.

will put this on the repo soon :)

I posted the same comment in the repo - you don't need to package python 2.6 in your PND, it's already in the Pandora. For TCL/TK, it's already in the Pandora as well I think, but you may be using a more recent version, I guess. 

I posted the same comment in the repo - you don't need to package python 2.6 in your PND, it's already in the Pandora. For TCL/TK, it's already in the Pandora as well I think, but you may be using a more recent version, I guess. 
thanks!

some other tcl/tk related stuff i tried on the pandora never really worked (without additional libs) and it seemed to be common practice to bundle it with the .pnd.

i needed it to be a self containing python package simply because i havent figured out by now how to pass modules from inside the .pnd to the system's python installation at runtime.

seeing that this is my debut on the PND stage and im still working things out - this is to be considered work in progress :)

The PySolFC package does also bundle the full python 2.6. While it may well be possible to recompile just the tkinter extension against a functional Tcl/Tk and override the broken one supplied with the os' python it does seem an unstable hack.

It would help, if the stock os either didn't include tkinter at all (it also doesn't include the neccessary file to bootstrap the Tcl interpreter) or did use a newer Tcl/Tk (one at least compatible with the X11 version included).

I hope .next makes it easier to bundle Tcl/Tk based applications (not that I think thgat it is that great in itself, but there is great software using it).

thanks!
some other tcl/tk related stuff i tried on the pandora never really worked (without additional libs) and it seemed to be common practice to bundle it with the .pnd.

i needed it to be a self containing python package simply because i havent figured out by now how to pass modules from inside the .pnd to the system's python installation at runtime.

seeing that this is my debut on the PND stage and im still working things out - this is to be considered work in progress :)
Did you try using ld_library_path

That usually works.

The PySolFC package does also bundle the full python 2.6. While it may well be possible to recompile just the tkinter extension against a functional Tcl/Tk and override the broken one supplied with the os' python it does seem an unstable hack.

It would help, if the stock os either didn't include tkinter at all (it also doesn't include the neccessary file to bootstrap the Tcl interpreter) or did use a newer Tcl/Tk (one at least compatible with the X11 version included).

I hope .next makes it easier to bundle Tcl/Tk based applications (not that I think thgat it is that great in itself, but there is great software using it).
that's correct. to be honest, i used all the bundled stuff from the pysolfc package. i knew it would work that way and i spared myself the hassle of compiling it myself.

did give proper credit, tho :)

thanks!

Did you try using ld_library_path

That usually works.
sure did, but it doesnt help.

ld_library, tk_library and tcl_library are set to /lib inside the .pnd.

setting $PYTHONPATH handles additional modules nicely.

but no matter what i try, the onboard python 2.6 will only use tcl 8.4.

further advice is totally appreciated!

what baffles me most:

running the script with the onboard python 2.6 will fail, telling me tcl/tk versions are in conflict (using 8.4 but needing 8.5). it DOES look for tcl/tk in the right places inside the .pnd, so setting tk_library and tcl_library seem to work. but somehow it cant find a proper init.tcl inside there (even tho it is in there)... leaving me clueless.

Very strange... care to share the source?

Btw, did you see my comment on the repo? WHen Google moves fully to Google + all the RSS access will be lost. I believe this will happen within this year... so your app may be short-lived :(

you do have direct access to the source. just mount the .pnd and have a look at /mnt/utmp/grabicasa

you need to change the contents of run.sh, of course.

if you like, try to make it run with your system's python installation (forcing it to use the supplied tcl/tk 8.5 libraries) and then tell me how you did it :)

Btw, did you see my comment on the repo? WHen Google moves fully to Google + all the RSS access will be lost. I believe this will happen within this year... so your app may be short-lived
yes i did and thanks for the heads up.

the google data client library, which is used to communicate with picasa, offers a GetFeed method. it relies on the format of the rss link.

i will look into another way to access the photos in a private album.

/>

that's correct. to be honest, i used all the bundled stuff from the pysolfc package. i knew it would work that way and i spared myself the hassle of compiling it myself.

did give proper credit, tho :)
Makes me happy that you found it useful!

:) Aiming for jr since I had that username at the university a long time ago, but mostly only a variant is available. Here I followed _wb_'s lead.

done some further reading and found this:
http://bugs.python.org/msg74893
this bug report is osx specific, but it might as well apply to angström/pandora os.

"... i dont know of an easy fix for existing python installations, other than rebuilding python."

ive been itching to give qt a go for a while now. i guess it makes more sense to satisfy the urge, than to try to fix this. if only i had more free time!

I actually don't know, the report sounds fishy to me. I'll try to take a closer look at how Python finds and loads/links tkinter and tkinter initializes tcl next weekend.

Back