Release Supertux2

Mr Rob

Hello all:

If you've been following here: http://boards.openpa...-dev-questions/, you'll see that I've been futzing with Supertux{1,2}.

I have taken the Supertux2 binaries used by Maemo and wrapped it into a PND. Could you test it before I upload to the repo? Here it is: http://wwwic.ndsu.edu/~foertsch/supertux2.pnd

It should be all ready to go with proper button mapping for most things. And I gave it it's own screenshot and the like, and it also needs to overclock like mad to get a good framerate. Let me know if you have problems running it.

My only other question is: what on earth do we call it? Supertux2 isn't actually anything real or deployed; instead it is the development version of Supertux (milestone 1.9 I'm told). I think Ubuntu put the dev version in their repos once, and named it Supertux2, and it stuck, surprisingly. People know what Supertux2 is by name. Are we happy with that name, or should it be something like Supertux-dev?

Edit: Fixed the gorram link.

Last edited by a moderator:
you spelt supertux wrong in the link ;) so it wont download until you correct it.

EDIT:

tested this and it works, but could you change ENTER to use the start button instead?

also the game crashed out before starting level 2 and it had to OC to 1gz? really?

anyway keep at it, anyone else tested it?

here is the OUT file output

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/APPS/pandora/desktop//supertux2.pnd -e supertux.sh -b supertux2_1 -c 1000

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

/dev/loop0

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/supertux2_1 type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/APPS/pandora/appdata/supertux2_1 as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/APPS/pandora/appdata/supertux2_1=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/supertux2_1=rr none /mnt/utmp/supertux2_1

none on /mnt/utmp/supertux2_1 type aufs (rw,si=6649df77,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/supertux2_1 type aufs (rw,si=6649df77,noplink)

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments

cpu_mhz_max set to 1000

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

./supertux2: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by ./supertux2)

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:212 [/mnt/utmp/supertux2_1/.supertux2] is in the search path

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:212 [/mnt/utmp/supertux2_1//data] is in the search path

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'controller' finished after 0.616 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'config' finished after 0.014 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'addons' finished after 0.007 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'tinygettext' finished after 0 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'commandline' finished after 0.001 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'audio' finished after 0.018 seconds

[WARNING] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/video_systems.cpp:49 new SDL renderer

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:121 Hardware surfaces are not available.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:122 Hardware to hardware blits are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:123 Hardware to hardware blits with colorkey are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:124 Hardware to hardware blits with alpha are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:125 Software to hardware blits are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:126 Software to hardware blits with colorkey are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:127 Software to hardware blits with alpha are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/sdl/sdl_renderer.cpp:128 Color fills are not accelerated.

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:466 fullscreen  Window: Size(800, 480) Fullscreen: Size(800, 480) Area: Size(0, 0)

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/andale12.stf

[WARNING] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/texture_manager.cpp:169 Couldn't load texture '/images/engine/fonts/andale12.png' (now using dummy texture): uninitialized RandomGenerator object

[WARNING] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/texture_manager.cpp:169 Couldn't load texture '/images/engine/fonts/andale12-shadow.png' (now using dummy texture): uninitialized RandomGenerator object

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'video' finished after 0.846 seconds

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'scripting' finished after 0.022 seconds

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/cyr-white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/zh-white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/cyr-white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/zh-white.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/cyr-white-small.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/white-small.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/zh-white-small.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/cyr-white-big.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/white-big.stf

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/video/font.cpp:87 Loading font: fonts/zh-white-big.stf

[INFO] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/supertux/main.cpp:539 Component 'resources' finished after 1.292 seconds

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/worldmap/worldmap.cpp:1074 Not loading worldmap state: Squirrel error: Couldn't get state.worlds (the index doesn't exist)

[DEBUG] /home/maemo/supertux-0.3.3/supertux/src/audio/sound_manager.cpp:142 Uncached sound "speech/tux_murp_01.ogg" requested to be played

Segmentation fault

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments

cpu_mhz_max set to 600

cleanup done

also a better icon is needed ;P

how about this one?

supertux.png

I'd guess mapping start is not easy in binary version from maemo

you spelt supertux wrong in the link ;) so it wont download until you correct it.

EDIT:

tested this and it works, but could you change ENTER to use the start button instead?

also the game crashed out before starting level 2 and it had to OC to 1gz? really?

I don't know if it has to be 1Gz, but playing it at 600mhz gives me about 25fps with lots of jerkiness. And there are a few levels that use significant transparency that even at 1Ghz slow the game down.

Is the proper thing to do removing some of the things that slow the game down from the levels itself? A sort of Pandora specific level for our specific hardware needs?

also a better icon is needed ;P

how about this one?

View attachment 1024

Nice logo, that'll work well. I was actually thinking of adding an emblem distinguishing that it is the dev version....

I'd guess mapping start is not easy in binary version from maemo

Yes and no, there's source for the Maemo, and I've build supertux2 the developer's svn before on my Pandora, so editing the source and recompiling shouldn't be an issue, especially for something like button mapping. Though I do think the Maemo guys may have changed a bit; I'll want to do a diff.

Did you make sure it's the latest version (0.3.3), and not an older one?

I can guarantee it's not the latest, the Maemo version was built a while back off of the 0.3.3 tree. The Maemo version runs a little more smoothly than my build from 0.3.3, my list of things to do includes comparing the Maemo version to what they built it off of to see if they made an optimization, and note them in builds in the future.

My overall goal is to marry it back to the 0.3.3 from Supertux's SVN so when Supertux's devs make changes, I can push out a new PND for our spiffy devices.

From what I'm seeing in the other thread - we might -want- the older one with a more complete level/map set?

From what I'm seeing in the other thread - we might -want- the older one with a more complete level/map set?

No, we probably don't. The forest world, which was removed in 0.3.3, is not intended to be included in Milestone 2 any more. So it's not "more complete", it just has extra levels that aren't really any good anyway (most of them just show off features that were previously intended for Milestone 2, but aren't any more).

No, we probably don't. The forest world, which was removed in 0.3.3, is not intended to be included in Milestone 2 any more. So it's not "more complete", it just has extra levels that aren't really any good anyway (most of them just show off features that were previously intended for Milestone 2, but aren't any more).

That's a shame really - those 'extra levels' are pretty fun. And those features are pretty cool too - very cool in fact. Have you played them? It turns Supertux into a puzzle/solve game too.

That's a shame really - those 'extra levels' are pretty fun. And those features are pretty cool too - very cool in fact. Have you played them? It turns Supertux into a puzzle/solve game too.

And perhaps we can incorporate some of those in sooomewhere (I don't know where yet). I know the PND above has bullet bills and thwomps, so those count as features that 0.1.3 doesn't have.

Yes, I've played them, and I was unimpressed. SuperTux is a jump-and-run, not a puzzle game. But if you love them so much, nothing is really stopping you from playing them (heck, you don't even have to download them; they're still there, you just can't access them in the main game any more). Besides, v0.3.3 has other improvements over 0.3.1.

I know the PND above has bullet bills and thwomps, so those count as features that 0.1.3 doesn't have.

Yeah, there's a lot more stuff. You can easily learn about the new features at the wiki (http://supertux.leth.../wiki/Main_Page). Almost none of the new features are actually taken advantage of in the IcyIsland levels, though, because they were pretty much taken directly from Milestone 1 at this point.

I had time to download the maemo supertux2.pnd file and play the first few levels.

It plays BETTER than it did on a Pentium 4 Compaq pizza box with 'standard' built in graphics controller.

Yes, there is an occasional lag - seems to happen when it is loading a sequence/graphic/etc... that you hadn't done yet in that session. Still - on such a small screen, getting 20+ fps is pretty alright. My Pandora won't OC to 1000 though - I seem to max out stable at 800.

Keep up the great work! It's already playable - any improvement from here is just icing on the cake!

Thank you!

Thank you for testing Grench.

Yeah, the overclocking thing is probably the biggest issue, knocking that requirement down would be useful -- I ran it at OPP5, so I could do 1000 MHz and get 50-60fps, but I know lots of people don't want to do that, so get around 750-800 MHz at OPP3 would be wonderful. And even at 1000MHz, there were lags when you'd get a star and it'd have to load that track, for example. Transparency is the other issue, maybe we'd push out a level set which lower requirements for such things.

I'll probably hack on it some more this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

I played a bit more with it last night. During general game play at 800mhz I was getting 45-65fps. Where it took a big hit and dropped to @20fps was when there were massive layered animations. In this example, there were @30 spinning coins inside a secret area (covered) and four monsters trotting around. Revealing the coins sped it up a notch, collecting the coins made it roll back up to 60fps.

So - the rotating coin animation may be a processing hog?

So my kids saw it, played it a bit, then asked if I had the level editor for it... Always something.

I played a bit more with it last night. During general game play at 800mhz I was getting 45-65fps. Where it took a big hit and dropped to @20fps was when there were massive layered animations. In this example, there were @30 spinning coins inside a secret area (covered) and four monsters trotting around. Revealing the coins sped it up a notch, collecting the coins made it roll back up to 60fps.

So - the rotating coin animation may be a processing hog?

So my kids saw it, played it a bit, then asked if I had the level editor for it... Always something.
Yep, I've also noticed the animated coin (and receiving the coin as it floats up in the air) hurts performance, along with anything with transparency/multiple backgrounds on top of each other.

The PND is using the SDL renderer at the moment, but they do have some OpenGL code, hopefully converting to OpenGL ES should fix performance.

And there is in fact a level editor for Supertux (not in the PND, though).

Hi,

First post on these boards :)

Just gave SuperTux 2 a go, nice game, a lot of improvements since milestone 1, but needs some OC (~850 MHz) to play correctly though...

I hope an OpenGL ES conversion will help !

EDIT: turning music and sound effects off improves performance **A LOT** (~40-60 FPS @ 850MHz) ! Maybe a temporary speed work around (before OpenGL ES conversion) would be to reduce sample rate or something ?

Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

Hi,

First post on these boards :)

Just gave SuperTux 2 a go, nice game, a lot of improvements since milestone 1, but needs some OC (~850 MHz) to play correctly though...

I hope an OpenGL ES conversion will help !

EDIT: turning music and sound effects off improves performance **A LOT** (~40-60 FPS @ 850MHz) ! Maybe a temporary speed work around (before OpenGL ES conversion) would be to reduce sample rate or something ?

Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

First, welcome to the forums, and thanks for playing.

As for messing with the sound, I see your point, but might not be best in the long run. There are some other features in Supertux Milestone 3 that pretty much require OpenGL ES (some interesting lighting effects in the Forest World, for example), so reducing the sampling rate would still leave that problem intact. In the meantime, Supertux Milestone 1 might be up your alley...

I do hope to do the OpenGL ES conversion, as Supertux Milestone 3 is a pretty rocking game, and a perfect fit for the Pandora. Based on what I can tell, converting won't be too much work, just a few lines here and there, but as I don't know OpenGL at all...it'll take a while.

Do you want to do the conversion for milestone 2 or 3?

I could help a bit when I am less busy at the end of next week.

@mcobit:

If you know OpenGL, I'd be happy for your help. I think it would be best to see Supertux Milestone 3 2 (or 0.3.3 as known in their SVN) as the target for conversion to OpenGL ES.

EDIT: Fixed the name.

Back