Status Of Quake 3 On The Pandora

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
Q3 was always supposed to be one of the killer-apps for the Pandora. However I haven't heard much about it recently. So, here are some questions for when i get my pandora sometime in 2013:

1) Does server joining work and is the ping okay?

2) There were some problems with Q3A <-> ioquake3 . Do both versions work fine now? If not, what problems exactly do which versions have?

3) Do the nubs work correctly now as looking & walking?

4) Do any kind of mods work? What about while-joining downloading mods/maps etc.? Where do these files get saved to, i.e NAND or sd card?

5) Did noone have an idea of creating a password-protected server for Pandora users yet? i.e. if you post the password on GP32x i think it's feasible that mostly/only pandora users will join (since gp32x isn't full of jackasses who`ll play with PC & Mouse instead)

Wolfsclaw said:
5) Did noone have an idea of creating a password-protected server for Pandora users yet?

I've never been 'into' online gaming, or indeed FPS since DOOM, but is it not possible to set up a server with username & password combination with codes only given out to Pandora owners, or even better modify Pandora Quake and the server software to perform some kind of additional handshake which can verify that the client is in fact using a Pandora.

i.e. if you post the password on GP32x i think it's feasible that mostly/only pandora users will join (since gp32x isn't full of jackasses who`ll play with PC & Mouse instead)

Never underestimate the pettiness of the average tech forum community...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Wolfsclaw said:
5) Did noone have an idea of creating a password-protected server for Pandora users yet?

I've never been 'into' online gaming, or indeed FPS since DOOM, but is it not possible to set up a server with username & password combination with codes only given out to Pandora owners, or even better modify Pandora Quake and the server software to perform some kind of additional handshake which can verify that the client is in fact using a Pandora.

i.e. if you post the password on GP32x i think it's feasible that mostly/only pandora users will join (since gp32x isn't full of jackasses who`ll play with PC & Mouse instead)

Never underestimate the pettiness of the average tech forum community...

I've been here well over 7 years (sigh) and to me, GP32x isn't quite the "average tech forum community". Sure there'll be asses who'll join with mouse connected, but the vast majority will come from gp32x with their pandoras in hand, i believe. This isn't 4chan after all.

Could anyone with a Pandora answer my other questions? Pretty please?

Wolfsclaw posted on 02 November 2010 - 06:44 PM said:
Could anyone with a Pandora answer my other questions? Pretty please?

Quake 3 DOES have a feature for a server password, but not any kind of user management.. Perhaps I could write a script that parsed the log file real time and checked players who joined and will kick anyone who wasn't registered with a Pandora Group(Seems doable, just need to play with it). Still most likely no way of checking if the player is actually playing on the Pandora.

I was planning on starting a few game servers, all three Quakes and perhaps others that I know have Linux Dedicated servers.. I have some dedicated hosting I barely use.

I'll keep you all posted.

Just tried Quake 3 on the Pandora last night and was blown away by how well it runs.

However controlling it with the nubs is very difficult, to the point that it is unplayable IMHO. This is a real shame as Q3 could be used to show off the true power of the Pandora.

After struggling with the nubs for 20 mins or so I had a brainwave : why not just use a mouse?.

Fired up my bluetooth mouse and no joy, the mouse cursor appears on the screen but it does not have any influence on the game.

It would be great if one of the kind hearted Devs could add an option for mouse control on the Pandora version of Quake3. If anyone else has found a way of configuring Quake 3 to be usable with the Pandora controls, or how to use a mouse with it then please share your methods.

For info I was using this version : Quake 3 Nano GL

Edit : Oops just seen this topic in the I need help issue dealing with this issue more directly, will repost there.

Hmm... after 1+ years development for the pandora killer game, it's a real shame that the controls don't even work right. I really hope this will get picked up again when more Pandoras have arrived at devs' homes.

Thanks for the report Loon. Any chance you could try to answer my questions 1, 2 and 4? :)

Back