Status Of Psx4gp2x Work Being Done :)

We appreciate the time and effort Zod, thankyou. And you too Exo! B) keep up the good work and I'll donate you guys some beer money! :p

Show me one post that is a subtle hint for a release. People are excited, and the way I see it, are just encouraging/supporting ZodTTD and others with their work.
ZodTTD should know by now how people get as soon as he mentions progress of this project. If it bothered him then he wouldn't say anything until something is actually ready for release.

Yup. I'm going to have to handle things differently with the dynarec if I want a large increase in performance. I'm going to study the disassembly of the dynarec's MIPS -> ARM code and see what I can do before taking some larger steps.

I have my test build up at http://www.spookysoftsite.com/psx4gp2x/
The file is dated 07/02/07. It's not really playable but might give an impression of where I'm at. I have a long way to go to get this working well on the GP2X. A lot of the code other than the CPU core (dynarec) needs to be redone, especially with the dynarec in mind. I might even rewrite the dynarec so it's cleaner and hopefully runs better.

I need to look hard at the GPU and see if everything is running as well as it can be. The GPU is taking more run time than the CPU at this point.

Lot's of stuff to do, but not sure how to go about it yet. I'm going to be porting this code to the Zaurus (ZPSX) and Gizmondo (psx4giz) and fix some of the memory card issues and such.

Well I just tried the newest build and I must say it has impressed me yet again. Heres what happened with the 10 games I tried to give an idea of how playable it is.

All games tested with clock speed 240 ram timings on sound on and 0 interlace count

1-Pandemonium -- Fastest Ive seen it up to now. Id say its just a little off playable due to speed. You could play it but the jumping seems to be more floating

2-Bishi Bashi. No longer works. Nothing appears on the screen. This did work in the last release and was a decent speed

3-Wing Commander 4 - Crsshes the GP2X when the introl screen pops up (I find this doesnt work on my PCs ps emulator either)

4-Alien Ressurection. The intro to this appears to be full speed. Cant say for sure because I dont bother with checking fps and all that. (the way I see it if its playable i dont care if its the correct frame rate.) The game itself seems to be a decent speed. Think it wont work very well with the GP2X buttons though. It really needs a PS pad to play this game.

5-Alien Trilogy - Intro appears full speed though a few problems with jumpysound in places Game itself is a bit slowbut very playable. Sound on is annoying as it crackles and jumps a lot

6-Bushido Blade - Black screen and gp2x locks up

7- Rebel asault 2 -Cut scenes are all over the place. Game sound started but nothing appeared on the screen. not even worth trying to play

8-Broken Sword - Better stick with the scumm version. Cutscenes look nice and smooth. Speech is so slow its annoying.Game itself has no characters on screen

9-Medal of Honour - Intro more or less full speed. A bit dodgy with soun sounding slow in places.Game is playable speed. Sound can be annoying. Controls dont work for the aiming

10- The Note - Really good speed. Sound is a bit slow. Very Playable

The main problem with most games appears to be annoying sound so if you can put up with it or turn it off your in for a treat. Thanks zodttd :D

Glad to hear about Pandemonium, but it seems compatibility might be down with the hint from Bishi Bashi. Thanks for the initial report. Bishi Bashi might not be working due to the interrupts being checked too often. A quick fix for this is to change the psx clock upwards usually. Setting the psx clock down usually makes things faster, except I notice in Wipeout XL for example, that the psx clock works best at 104. :p

Eventually the interrupts will be more unified and this issue will be at least different if not gone.

zodttd said:
Glad to hear about Pandemonium, but it seems compatibility might be down with the hint from Bishi Bashi. Thanks for the initial report. Bishi Bashi might not be working due to the interrupts being checked too often. A quick fix for this is to change the psx clock upwards usually. Setting the psx clock down usually makes things faster, except I notice in Wipeout XL for example, that the psx clock works best at 104. :p

Eventually the interrupts will be more unified and this issue will be at least different if not gone.
yeah speed is up by a lot but it lost a lot of compatibility like a lot of games are not working that where working before also the sound is wierd and high pitched but def the speed is up by a lot

good work zod :] looking forward to the next one your talking about your doing a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
setting null gpu seems to freeze the screen but the fps it shows is really good in null gpu

Null GPU means emulate the game without emulating the GPU rendering/blitting. Thats why FPS are so high. :)

oh but in the old versions it still showed something instead of the screen being still unless null gpu was broken before

Hi

I tested some games to, with OC: 250, Psx Clock 30-40% or 100-110%.

GTA = Fast now, This is absolute very playable (levels loads much faster also).

GTA Londen = Same as above ^^ plays goood...

Command & Conquer Gdi = 32 fps :) Feels like FullSpeed^^ (we need some save/memcart now)

Rayman 2 - Seems to be a little faster , but also a bitt more Shocky (still to slow to play it with fun)

Ridge Racer - Also got some more fps, even the Bridge part is less shocky, but it's still a little to slow to enjoy

Wipeout 1 - absolute fullspeed enjoyment ^^

No games seems to be broken so far, if a game didn't start, i reboted the Gp2X en tryed again, This works for most games on my machine ^^

if i have some sparetime 2night i gonna make some Vids en test more games.

a lot of games are already good to play, i hope save/memcart options are not to far away ^^.

Big ThnX Zod en Exophase.

Greetzzzz

So how do I change the PSX clock???

---Doesnt matter just did it accidently--

Ive tried Colony Wars and it appears to be full speed but not very playable on the GP2X screen. everythings too small. Maybe this is where the TV adapter becomes usefull

Also Bishi Bashi does work at full speed with good sound. Just sounds like its in a pipe. The only thing that doesnt work is the first screen but it turns out pressing start bypasses this

Jaylink said:
Hi

I tested some games to, with OC: 250, Psx Clock 30-40% or 100-110%.

GTA = Fast now, This is absolute very playable (levels loads much faster also).

GTA Londen = Same as above ^^ plays goood...

Command & Conquer Gdi = 32 fps :) Feels like FullSpeed^^ (we need some save/memcart now)

Rayman 2 - Seems to be a little faster , but also a bitt more Shocky (still to slow to play it with fun)

Ridge Racer - Also got some more fps, even the Bridge part is less shocky, but it's still a little to slow to enjoy

Wipeout 1 - absolute fullspeed enjoyment ^^

No games seems to be broken so far, if a game didn't start, i reboted the Gp2X en tryed again, This works for most games on my machine ^^

if i have some sparetime 2night i gonna make some Vids en test more games.

a lot of games are already good to play, i hope save/memcart options are not to far away ^^.

Big ThnX Zod en Exophase.

Greetzzzz

Cant wait for the movies. Also, i hope you can make a wipeout 2 movie.

Never tried Psx4gp2x before, tried 2 games:

Einhander
Ms Pacman

Settings OC 240 PSX clock tried different settings between 20-100

Einhander too slow to be considered playable.
Ms Pacman the 2d version is full speed, sound is a bit glitchy. 3d version feels full speed, but I'm not sure if that's the case because it's the first time I ever played it on any device.

The graphics are in both cases very stripy (if that's an english term ;) ) and so doesn't look really good. Is this normal, or is there a way to get better graphics?

Anyway nice to see both codingchamps on the road again.

b._.o._.b said:
The graphics are in both cases very stripy
Its probably the interlace count in the graphics options. Try putting it to 0. That should get rid of the stripes. Think it probably decreases speed in some way but Im unsure because I always set it to 0 as I cant be doing with them lines :lol:

oh i didnt notice this :p Will try osme games out now ! what about v43 ! wheres the usb pad support :p (only joking)

EDIT: Have you changed how you change psx clock ? I cant seem to do it. Oh im just tryin alone in teh dark 2 and it seems alot better :)

EDIT AGAIN: R ands volume haha

Tried Spider-Man at 250.

had PSX clock down to 20% or so, and when I faced in one direction (with very few polys in view) it was like full speed. Slows down quite a lot when facing buildings. Will try Wipeout and resident evil.
Great work guys!

Resident Evil Directors Cut, I got 26 FPS at one bit. I cant remember what numbers I reported for the last version, but its DEFINITELY faster, and felt full speed in the dining room area (or whatever it is). Like Spider-Man it slows down when the scene has more polys. In this case, its other people/zombies.

Back