Status Of Psx4gp2x Work Being Done :)

wahoohoohooooo! Holy crap! Okay... that's it, I am donating! Zodttd, you will receive a sum of 20 dollars very soon. This is awesome.

Now one thing we need to make this perfect would be mp3 support, so we can rip the audio tracks from the cds thus making the images smaller and the audio play smoother... don't know if that's possible but might be a nice touch in the future.

EDIT: Is there a paypal account to reacha ll devs for psx4all? Cause it would be a little unjust to only donate to zod considering chui, tinnus and una-i are working on this, too...

I tested Resident Evil 2 PAL, clocked at 270, PSX 30%, sound off, interace 5 and it reached 29FPS, it runs as if it were fullspeed very playable, only problem is is thats in places with no enemies, it runs around 15FPS with enemies. Also the movies run perfecto with sound. :D Great Work, now im just hanging around a refreshing for the next release

New release, build 07 11 07 download is at:
http://www.zodttd.com

From the frontpage:

A long awaited optimization has been made. Cycle adjustment is now much more effiencent and no longer affects memory card / serial input from controllers.

What does this mean? Much more performance!

Be sure to pick up psx4gp2x Build 07 11 07 in the build archive on the front page. And while doing so, please read the changes here as they are important and fairly untested and in need of tweaking:

- A new button combo has been made. In addition to changing the PSX CLOCK via R + VOLUME UP/DOWN, there is now PSX CYCLE via L + VOLUME UP/DOWN.

Both PSX CLOCK and PSX CYCLE affect the internal timings of the PSX. You may notice certain combinations work better for certain games or even a certain part of a game.

To find the best balance, try to keep the PSX CLOCK nearest 100% while making PSX CYCLE a number that gives a VSYNC as close to the FRAMERATE as possible. When that occurs and VSYNC is equal to FRAMERATE, you probably have the best FPS you can get currently.

- Another memory card bug was fixed. Make sure you use the included mcd00X.mcr files and overwrite your old ones.

- A bug causing the screen to scale improperly with interlacing turned off has been fixed (hopefully).

Be sure to leave feedback! Thanks for playing!

OK Same as last time but only if theres a change:

Alien Ressurection: A lot faster very playable. Sound is useless as it loops on the first word. Sounds like it keeps sayng MOLEST

Alien Trilogy: Speed increase. very playable. For some reason it showed me all the end sequences of the game after the fox logo. Has lost the annoying pipe sounding gun and is now playable with sound on

die hard; gets past the title screen woohooo. No cheered too soon. It goes and locks up on a black screen instead

Broken sword ; Speech now sounds great but a little too fast. Probably will be fine with a bit of tweaking to the clock and cycles.

Pandemonium : very fast. May need a few tweaks with the clock and cycle to get it perfect

Ridge Rcer 4 : WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW someone needs to make a video of the intro to this. Sadly the game itself doesnt seem to have the same improvement

syphon filter 2: hasnt changed but just wanted to say the save state still worked

Tenchu: Like RR4 Id vote for this to have vid made too. Looks really good and thats in game too

Just tryin this right now and wipeout xl is taking ages to load the race :blink:

EDIT: Still loading its got to 100 but still not starting and the stuff under the word loading looks like it is goin alot faster than it should be.

gave up on wipeout and just tryin raiden project wich seems great even the sound is good :) but still theres lots of weird graphical glitches at teh rigth hand side of the screen but that dosnt matter :p

Hmm I guess I have to explain more about how the cycles and clocks can affect things:

If changing the cycles too much, it can cause the controller to stop taking input, same with memory cards. It's due to caching the recompiled cycle count and not liking the difference it all a sudden finds. A fix is to load the game again by pressing Volume Middle with the clock and cycle adjustments in place. It will use that new cycle adjustment with controls working just fine then.

Sometimes some games prefer lower cycles and clocks, such as Wipeout XL. To make the game load faster, up the PSX CLOCK during the loading course screen until it starts going fast. :p

If a game just doesn't work, try two things:
- Exit PSX4ALL and load that game. Remember cycle and clock adjustments stick between loading games within the in-game menu. Also there's a bug that sometimes occurs that crashes a game on load when loading a game in-game, though rare.
- When the LOADING GAME screen comes on, HOLD DOWN PSX CYCLES TILL IT GET TO 1.0 ! If that doesn't work, repeat that but also lower PSX CLOCK TO 80. All this should be done as soon as possible while the game is initing. If it still crashes let me know and I'll test it.

Let me know what games are in need of videos, and what the recommended clock/cycle combinations are for them.

For instance:
Bust A Move 4:
- GP2X CLOCK: 266
- PSX CLOCK: DEFAULT 100
- PSX CYCLE: DEFAULT 5.25
- INTERLACE: 1
- RUNS OVER 45 FPS, WITH VSYNC *OVER* 60, MORE THAN PLAYABLE WITH SOUND!

EDIT: Just to let everyone know, there's a lot of potential with this build by finding the right combination of PSX CLOCK and PSX CYCLE. I will do per-game configuration if I get a good feedback on what settings to use for what game. :)

zodttd said:
Hmm I guess I have to explain more about how the cycles and clocks can affect things:

Thats amazing i was just about to ask that question.

The note works fine now

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, one more big thing...

NOTE!
In order to see the cycle change affect things, you usually have to reload the game from the in-game menu if you don't change it right as the game loads!

Both PSX CLOCK and PSX CYCLE affect the internal timings of the PSX. You may notice certain combinations work better for certain games or even a certain part of a game.

To find the best balance, try to keep the PSX CLOCK nearest 100% while making PSX CYCLE a number that gives a VSYNC as close to the FRAMERATE as possible. When that occurs and VSYNC is equal to FRAMERATE, you probably have the best FPS you can get currently.

OK so I started messing with these and read your advice and still dont get it.

On pandemonium it looks a decent speed. However Framerate gets to about 13 and vsync gets to 100 and something.
Ive changed the cycle and clock but cant seem to get the frame rate and vsync anywhere near each other :blink:

Remember this part:

"In order to see the cycle change affect things, you usually have to reload the game from the in-game menu if you don't change it right as the game loads!"

If you don't reload the game after a cycle change, it won't take affect, though it may break controller input to the game. :p

I know this is a bit confusing, but I plan to simplify this when I get some sample data to go on.

zodttd said:
Remember this part:

"In order to see the cycle change affect things, you usually have to reload the game from the in-game menu if you don't change it right as the game loads!"

If you don't reload the game after a cycle change, it won't take affect, though it may break controller input to the game. :p

I know this is a bit confusing, but I plan to simplify this when I get some sample data to go on.
What is the cycle and how to change it?

Back