Status Of Boards?

Yeah, that's pretty good odds since only 2 failed out of 105. Nice work you guys.

So they're all going through the process at the same time from here on out? I take it you're sick of waiting too :)

craigix said:
It's very likely we are just doing them all next. The smaller runs *might* not be needed now.

Does this mean they can be assembled and shipped within a smaller time frame after the cases arrive?

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
http://i198.photobuc...ra_assembly.jpg

103 out of 105 passed.  The other two may come up after another reflow but sometimes they are just dead and get tossed aside.  This whole time has been spent working on the ones that have been functional and building the test jig with pins that probe the PCB.  We've also been focusing efforts on adding more features to the software so that an automated application can be run on top of the OS to check all of the hardware functionality with as little human interaction as possible.

Can I have a broken board? I'd like to frame it and put it on my wall :p

FUCK YEAH!

Everythings coming together. It's been a very long, and severly twisted road, but I think we can all finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Although I have not received my Pandora, I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to OpenPandora(All the staff and developers), who have made this cummunity project a reality. I wish I lived closer to the assembly line so I could help out. I would really like to see as many customers as possible receive there units in time for the holidays. I'm personally in no rush, as I prefer quality over quantity anyday of the week. But the little boy in me would defintely like this in time for Christmas! Please keep up the hard work, it is very much appreciated!

Thanks Again,
Jumpman
Sin City

It seems odd to me that testing would be considered complete on these boards when the nubs still need to be soldered on.
Heating up boards to perform this process could easily change the test status of the board.
I used to do QC testing on soldered component subassemblies, and this would be considered a major no-no.
Like a "You're Fired" sort of thing.

Are any components besides the nubs remaining to be soldered to the boards?

Will they be retested after the nubs and any additional components are soldered on?

It would be a shame to put these "tested" boards on the assembly line, and find that the Pandoras failed after complete assembly of the whole unit.

and also are they going to be retested after display gets mounted? i dont want to get a faulty/ pixel missing display

DroneB Dev said:
and also are they going to be retested after display gets mounted? i dont want to get a faulty/ pixel missing display
I would assume that the whole completed Pandora would be tested after assembly.
What I was talking about above was QC approval for the boards to be released for assembly.

B-ZaR said:
craigix said:
It's very likely we are just doing them all next. The smaller runs *might* not be needed now.

Does this mean they can be assembled and shipped within a smaller time frame after the cases arrive?
Id also like to know this one.

I'm also curious if the 2/105 (or 1.9%) failure rate is within the original expectations or something we should be worried about.

1.9% of 3895 would mean 75 more failed boards. And we don't know yet if more might fail in some way during the assembly phase...

Sitwon said:
I'm also curious if the 2/105 (or 1.9%) failure rate is within the original expectations or something we should be worried about.

1.9% of 3895 would mean 75 more failed boards. And we don't know yet if more might fail in some way during the assembly phase...
2% is an excellent result. This time a year ago, I think the anticipated failure rate for MP test runs was something like 25%. They've made a lot of progress since then!

well, great pictures and news without a doubts, but...
knowing the past of this project i wouldn't be TOO happy :)
i think this isn't gonna change how fast we all recieve complete pandoras.
cases and assembly now the bottleneck as was mentioned before. and the fact that boards is already almost done also was stated before. so what is the point in this "hurrah! pictures!"? :) i'd rather wait to see complete cases :)

we can stop dreaming about a pandora release before christmas....right now:

hey michael,

any information about when the burn-in-tests of the 105 ones will be finished? and do you know how long the process will take in which the components are set on the board?

thank you in advance!

greetings
zoxfox
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I posted a reply to your question here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50437-status-of-boards/page__p__773846&#entry773846

I hope that was okay. Building the next 4000 boards can be done in a couple of days. It is the testing procedure that will take a couple of weeks and it is where we are at now. We don't want any Pandoras getting into customers hands that have not been completely tested.

Michael

ZoxFox said:

It seems like he was talking about a couple weeks for all 4000... It could still be possible for a few hundred people to get theirs before Christmas (IMO). Not that I'm one of them, or anything. :\

in the pandorian language "a couple of weeks" means at least 3 weeks more again. that´s my fear and i think it isn´t rightless. after what we experienced with the chinese guys....

ZoxFox said:

hey michael,

any information about when the burn-in-tests of the 105 ones will be finished? and do you know how long the process will take in which the components are set on the board?

thank you in advance!

greetings
zoxfox
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I posted a reply to your question here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50437-status-of-boards/page__p__773846&#entry773846

I hope that was okay. Building the next 4000 boards can be done in a couple of days. It is the testing procedure that will take a couple of weeks and it is where we are at now. We don't want any Pandoras getting into customers hands that have not been completely tested.

Michael

craigix said:
Err, why would that mean they won't ship before christmas?
The way I read the message from ZoxFox was that we can stop dreaming because it's going to happen. But, maybe, I misunderstood his intent. Either way, I'm still holding on to that belief! :)

Tuxedomask29 said:
The way I read the message from ZoxFox was that we can stop dreaming because it's going to happen.

no unfortunately i mean the opposite ^^ it´s not going to happen....sorry for my mistakable message

Back